For Sale: 1966 AMC AMBASSADOR DPL Hardtop, A/C - $9,500 - GOLDEN, CO - Not Mine

For Sale: 1966 AMC AMBASSADOR DPL Hardtop, A/C - $9,500 - GOLDEN, CO

1966 AMC AMBASSADOR DPL - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

1966 AMC AMBASSADOR DPL ** 2 DOOR HARDTOP ** 327 ENGINE ** REBUILT AUTO TRANSMISSION
** POWER STEERING/BRAKES /// AC ** MANUAL HAND CRANK WINDOWS ** NEW PAINT JOB ** 4 NEW TIRES ** ALL STOCK ** ORIGINAL INTERIOR ** LIGHT GREY CLOTH UPHOLSTERY ** CLEAN UPHOLSTERY/ NO TEARS ** BUCKET SEAT WITH CENTER CONSOLE ** DILIGENTLY CARED FOR ** PRISTINE CONDITION ** CURRENT OWNER FOR NEARLY 20 YRS ** GARAGED FULL TIME ** 82,000 MILEAGE

Copy and paste in your email:  7a2877e7a4643554bbe72ed28ddf40ff@sale.craigslist.org
I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1966 AMC AMBASSADOR DPL Hardtop.

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL CO a.jpg

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL CO b.jpg

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL CO ba.jpg

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL CO c.jpg

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL CO d.jpg

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL CO e.jpg

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL CO f.jpg

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL CO g.jpg

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL CO h.jpg

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL CO i.jpg

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL CO j.jpg

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL CO k.jpg

NO, the interior is NOT original. . . . .

It is sad the number of people who would criticize a little orange peel or maybe a color match that is not exact that think something like this is in any way a quality, competent upholstery job.

This is the equivalent  of painting with a brush or spray can. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The interior material is not original, I suspect may have been covered or replaced because the original was black fabric and vinyl or all vinyl.  Colorado sunshine is constant, intense and brutal torture on black interiors.   It also rapidly dries out and spoils interior soft trim, hence the rug dash cover.  On the plus side, sheet metal and chrome trim survives very nicely in the low humidity.  The Ambassador DPL hardtop was the new for 1966 top-line model, at $2,756 it was the third most expensive behind the 990 station wagon and convertible.  These DPL models had the nicest, most luxurious interiors AMC installed in their cars in the 1960's.

Added these interior images from on-line, the houndstooth is unique and very '60's period.

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL interior a.jpg

'66 AMBASSADOR DPL interior b.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added "66 DPL interior images (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I don't know much about them, either, Plymouth. Having said that, it's a  clean mid-'60's American made two door hardtop with a V-8 for way under ten grand (maybe even nine grand.) Someone like me would take this over a $30,000 Chevelle or Lemans in similar shape any day of the week.  I agree with what you guys said about the interior. It's not a huge deal, but makes the seller's credibility slightly dubious. Make sure the new paint isn't covering something bad. The straight body panels and nice, complete chrome and trim looks very promising, though.

• Like 3

Yes , I worked at Amc dealership in the early 70's. Not much else to worry about if the engine was maintained.

Even when they changed to the newer engines in 67 they still had timing chain and gear problems. The plastic/ nylon 

on the gears would come apart. Many other makes had the same problems.

Was a good problem for flat rate mechanics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1