Best Value in a Roadster

Guys, the comments and input about Classic Roadsters (1925-1928 and 1929-1931) have been great.  Lots of input on several makes, a lot of it from personal experience.  The Pierce Arrow specs and input are educational and interesting.  Keep the Pierce Info Flowing.........

For comparison sake and looking at another option, lets talk about Packard Roadsters.  Insight and personal experience are much appreciated.  

Packard Roadster Options 1925-1931:

Packard Roadster options starting in 1925 can be grouped into two categories, the 326 with a 289 Six on a 126 inch wheelbase, and the 236 with a 357 Eight on a 136 inch wheelbase.  Mechanical Brakes were on both lines.  In the years 1926-1928 there were several series to include the shorter 426 with a 289 Six on a 126 inch wheelbase, 526 also with 289 Six on a 126 inch wheelbase, and 533 with a 289 Six on a 133 inch wheelbase.  Those years saw Roadsters in larger platforms on the 336 with a 384 Eight on a 136 inch wheelbase, and the 443 with a 384 Eight on a 143 inch wheelbase.  These models also saw mechanical brakes.  

Starting in 1929 with the 6 Series models, only the Eight Cylinder Engines were placed in Packards.  Wheelbases were offered in 126, 133, 140, and 145.5 inches with 320  Eights on the 126 and 133 inch wheelbases and the larger 640 and 645 had 384 Eights on 140 and 145.5 inch wheelbases.   1929 had the very special Speedster in Roadster Format which was set up differently with the 384 Eight on a 134 inch wheelbase. 

In 1930 and 1931 the format for the 7 and 8 series (except for the Speedster) followed form as follows: 733: 320 Eight on 134.5 wheelbase.  740: 384 Eight on 140.5 Wheelbase.  745:  384 Eight on 145.5 wheelbase.  833:  320 Eight on 134.5 wheelbase.  840:  384 Eight on 140.5 wheelbase.  845:  384 Eight on 145.5 Wheelbase.  

That is a lot of data to dump.  The earlier years of those Packard Roadsters can be summed up as the shorter cars having a six and the longer ones having an eight.  I'm thinking of some of the feedback given on Pierce Arrow, specifically the 80/81 with the smaller Six Cylinder engines and wondering if they performed similar to the shorter Packards with the six.  I don't have production numbers but I assume the search for these Packard roadsters is easier based on how many more were made relative to Pierce.  

When you get to the longer wheelbase, larger displacement models, I know there are fake Roadsters out there.  Sedans sacrificed for the higher value Open models.  I need to get an education in that without getting too deep in the weeds.  What are some guidelines as you evaluate if a car is presenting with a different body than initially built.  What are the varying grades of "fake/misrepresented" understood in the hobby (re-bodied correctly in period, vice some crazy custom one off being completely wrong....)  I almost hate to bring this up because it could be its own thread and may take us way off the main topic, but I do recognize it is important.  People want to buy an honest car.....

What experience do some of you have with Packard Roadsters from this era?  What have you noticed good and bad about them as a whole and individual models?  I suspect most of the longer wheelbases with big Eights and the Speedster are north of my 100K ceiling, but lets talk about them anyway.  Does anyone out there like or dislike Packard Roadsters and can you share your reasoning? 

image.png.7d7681a7c9d4507916359ec2c6f409b0.png   

image.png.09345fb2ce4ef51d78ebb100573ae476.png 

image.png.738655ad8e24ea31bda78def5c7e9bd9.png

image.png.b2899727cae2ebf012c9520e9fe6a8d0.png  

• Like 1

Yawwwn....all this Packard talk is making me sleepy😛. How about this car for interesting ('31 imperial CG that sold at Mecum for $82500 in 2018)? I assume that it is not the genuine article and that no real Imperial would ever sell sub 6 figures but how about some of the earlier Chrysler roadsters? They're a car I must admit that I know very little about.

chrysler.jpg

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, md murray said:

Yawwwn....all this Packard talk is making me sleepy😛. How about this car for interesting ('31 imperial CG that sold at Mecum for $82500 in 2018)? I assume that it is not the genuine article and that no real Imperial would ever sell sub 6 figures but how about some of the earlier Chrysler roadsters? They're a car I must admit that I know very little about.

chrysler.jpg

Agreed.

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6855-1931-chrysler-cg-imperial-convertible-coupe/

235028C5-3E57-44E8-9736-A8273999B050.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, md murray said:

chrysler.jpg

It is stunning and I do want to spend some time and research into all the Chrysler Roadster options of these years.   A beautiful Imperial Roadster for half the price of convertible coupe that “needs sorting”.....

I have vague memories of a Song from the past......I cheated and looked it up.....

C+C Music Factory “Things that make you go Hmmmm”

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Grimy said:

The windshield on the maroon "roadster" looks way too tall to my eyes....and not raked enough but the latter may be perspective.

Yep- I think you're spot on there. Not to mention the top on the red car is kind of hoaky -It looks like the top should over-lap the windshield frame a little. 

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

The only downside to Pierce Arrow is the club initiation ceremony makes the one in Animal House look tame.

Btw- Grimy can you lend us a little insight here? 😄  

cg.jpg

12 minutes ago, md murray said:
5 hours ago, alsancle said:

The only downside to Pierce Arrow is the club initiation ceremony makes the one in Animal House look tame.

Btw- Grimy can you lend us a little insight here? 😄  

You'll have to join to find out.....  🙂 But our initiation is not quite as stressy as an E Clampus Vitus initiation.  (For those unaware of ECV, it began during the Gold Rush as an organization mocking major fraternal organizations, so each Chapter Leader is titled the Noble Grand Humbug, and the Virginia City NV (yes, I know that silver, not gold, was mined in Virginia City) chapter is named after Julia C. Bulette, the most prominent madam of that community.  Today ECV is best termed a men's historical and drinking organization.  I'd love to sponsor Ed and AJ as members but insist on overseeing their initiation.)

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, Grimy said:

You'll have to join to find out.....  🙂 But our initiation is not quite as stressy as an E Clampus Vitus initiation.  (For those unaware of ECV, it began during the Gold Rush as an organization mocking major fraternal organizations, so each Chapter Leader is titled the Noble Grand Humbug, and the Virginia City NV (yes, I know that silver, not gold, was mined in Virginia City) chapter is named after Julia C. Bulette, the most prominent madam of that community.  Today ECV is best termed a men's historical and drinking organization.  I'd love to sponsor Ed and AJ as members but insist on overseeing their initiation.)

Come on George!  Ed made me join years ago.

Edit: whoops, you weren’t taking to me.  Downside to reading on your phone.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
8 hours ago, Grimy said:

I've had the wonderful opportunity to experience hazing/traditions and initiation more than once.  Fraternities, Navy, Sports........  but never heard of that esteemed organization George.  I hope you get a chance to sponsor Ed and AJ and live stream it.

• Like 1

It goes without saying, the more expensive an open model is, the more likely someone will take a Sedan and Voila....a Roadster or Phaeton.  Since I brought up Packard Roadsters, what percentage of the 140, 143 inch wheelbase ones do you think are legit?  Also, someone more knowledgeable than me, clue us in on the "'levels of Re-bodying" a model (For example, lets say a Packard 740 Roadster).  There are "legit original cars".... below that there are......What?  A true 740 Chassis and drivetrain from a sedan with a true from factory Roadster Body placed on it after the fact?  below that a True Chassis and drivetrain with some home fabricated body?  Incorrect motors and bodies?   What is the pecking order of this type of thing from Legit to "complete utter disaster"....?  what is a realistic value for these modifications (based on the changes made) I think I saw somewhere AJ used the number of 30% is about right for a "fake car"????  Sorry if I butchered that quote or number AJ...