Is anyone going to the James R. Foor auction in WV May 1?

Smartin

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not high in all cases. There were many great deals as well. There was so much there it boggled the mind. I spent over 2 hours Friday evening and 1 hour Saturday morning going through the parts "crammed tightly" inside a poorly lit tent and I still did not have a good handle on everything there. There were as many parts under the tables as there were on top. Boxes had VALUABLE parts in them that were not included in the online photos which made previewing in person crucial to knowing how high to bid.  so while you may look at an auction photo and see what it sold for but you may not really know what all was included due to less than complete lot documentation by the auction house. The NOS 66 dual quad setup was the crazy extreme at over $11k but since that's probably the only one in existence...... crazy high is a relative description. And yes there were a couple instances where the auction environment hooked bidders into winning just on principal regardless of value but that was not the norm.

If I wasn't trying to decrease inventory I'd have come home with a truck load for re-sale. There were parts dealers bidding against each other which brought prices up for those looking at buying to resale, but generally if someone needed a part for their personal project, hard to find items could be had for less than average retail and sometimes downright dirt cheap for those who did their homework. 

This auction should serve as a teachable moment as we all get older. Jim Foor is still alive but just as he retired and built his dream home with garage space to keep parts and cars all in one location, he got dementia  which turned into Alzheimer's and he had maybe only a year to really enjoy it. He had no idea his life's collection was being auctioned off a few miles down the road. 

auction.jpg

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JZRIV said:

This auction should serve as a teachable moment as we all get older. Jim Foor is still alive but just as he retired and built his dream home with garage space to keep parts and cars all in one location, he got dementia  which turned into Alzheimer's and he had maybe only a year to really enjoy it. He had no idea his life's collection was being auctioned off a few miles down the road. 

Truly so, so sad. The auction of Bob Cokers collection of cars, parts and tools was a sad event and big eye opener for me. I give thanks to God every day for what good health and mental capacity he continues to bless me with. Thanks Jason for that summarization of the day and words of wisdom about us all getting older.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 5

All those boxes reminded me of when at Bobs auction, I had selected a box to bid on and won the bid. When I went up to get the box, there were several items missing, specifically a very nice set of rechromed and painted '55 rear quarter emblems. I saw them later in a box of junk that the auctioneer himself had bid on and won. The asshole had moved them and bid on the box of junk himself. While not wanting to create a stir, I did advise Mrs Coker to be very diligent in dealing with the auctioneer in the final tally.

Anybody know how old Mr Foor is?

5 hours ago, MrEarl said:

, I had selected a box to bid on and won the bid. When I went up to get the box, there were several items missing, specifically a very nice set of rechromed and painted '55 rear quarter emblems. I saw them later in a box of junk that the auctioneer himself had bid on and won

And that jerk probably muses about how folks don't trust him.  Auction results are so inconsistent and I feel bad for those who go that route in the name of expediency.

• Like 1