What’s faster? 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle SS OR 1967 Chevrolet Camaro

champi

While I’m an original, pre war car guy, my brother is a muscle, drag racing car guy. I looking here I’m seeing comments from old car guys it seems with assumptions that the old cars just don’t go. My brothers 71’ nova easily ran in the high 12’s and was set up right so that he actually lost his police car tails a few times as street racing here in New England was a big thing years back. The car he currently has now is a 67’ Olds cutlass with a mildly built, actually very stock 455, 431 hp, 517 ft pounds torque on the dyno. It is running 12.4s through the 1/4 with an Olds th400, and my Honda Accord sport will not come close to that. Another thing that is proven among drag racing or fast cars is the auto over the manual trans. All fast drag cars run autos. The th400 will outperform the best Muncie or Tremec with the best driver out there. Many rail dragsters run two speed power glides. My brothers friend runs a 72’ nova with a power glide and he’s in the low 10’s. By the way, it’s a street car, not a drag only car. To say only the modern cars are fast is totally incorrect. There are many newly manufactured parts to update the old cars like disc brakes, tubular A frames, chassis stiffeners, turbos, super chargers, nitrous oxide , etc., and all can be installed on street capable cars. Are new cars fast and great handling, absolutely, but you’re talking two different animals, and don’t assume the old animal is totally incapable. As far as the Camaro and chevelle thing, the 60’s Olds were actually faster than most out of the showroom floor but many never knew that.

• Like 1

Most of the folks who, like me, prefer older original cars are dropping like flies due to age.  Our old car publications have become diluted with stuff from the muscle car age, not to mention exotic sports cars from other countries.  This is the natural order of things, and the bickering of a few old fogies like me isn't going to stop it.  But, I love coming here to read and co-exist with others who appear to share at least some of my peculiarities in this area.

The individual who started this post is probably a fine person, and to him/her, the question is appropriate and legitimate.  But, I don't often see these types of posts make their way onto the pages of this community.  Questions about performance, torque, braking, handling?  Sure, they have their place.  But, the rationale behind asking about which of two completely different cars has the greatest speed & power?  Not interested in anything else but those two bullet points?  Not interested in styling?  Not interested in how the cars were designed?  No questions about competing makes and how they stacked up?  

I love the AACA forums because there appears to be a number of others who are interested in the history of this hobby.  There is so much more to consider on this forum than the answer to a narrowly focused question of raw speed and power.  These types of discussions are more suited to a racing/performance type community. 

I hate to think about seeing more of this popping up in our forums.  I'm perfectly fine knowing that there are those who disagree with me.  Yes, I could have scrolled past this post without commenting since I have no interest in such topics.  But, actually, I have a great deal of interest in hoping this doesn't become the norm on the AACA forums.

Edited by Dosmo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, chistech said:

While I’m an original, pre war car guy, my brother is a muscle, drag racing car guy. I looking here I’m seeing comments from old car guys it seems with assumptions that the old cars just don’t go. My brothers 71’ nova easily ran in the high 12’s and was set up right so that he actually lost his police car tails a few times as street racing here in New England was a big thing years back. The car he currently has now is a 67’ Olds cutlass with a mildly built, actually very stock 455, 431 hp, 517 ft pounds torque on the dyno. It is running 12.4s through the 1/4 with an Olds th400, and my Honda Accord sport will not come close to that. Another thing that is proven among drag racing or fast cars is the auto over the manual trans. All fast drag cars run autos. The th400 will outperform the best Muncie or Tremec with the best driver out there. Many rail dragsters run two speed power glides. My brothers friend runs a 72’ nova with a power glide and he’s in the low 10’s. By the way, it’s a street car, not a drag only car. To say only the modern cars are fast is totally incorrect. There are many newly manufactured parts to update the old cars like disc brakes, tubular A frames, chassis stiffeners, turbos, super chargers, nitrous oxide , etc., and all can be installed on street capable cars. Are new cars fast and great handling, absolutely, but you’re talking two different animals, and don’t assume the old animal is totally incapable. As far as the Camaro and chevelle thing, the 60’s Olds were actually faster than most out of the showroom floor but many never knew that.

If that '67 Cutlass had a 455 under the hood, it was not 'stock'.  It must have been a 400, unless you're confusing torque.  1968 was the first year for the 455 cubic inch engine seen in the Hurst Olds.   No one ever said 1960's muscle cars weren't capable, but not without modern modifications to make them 'up to date'.    A contemporary 1969 Charger video was posted here,   https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/110181-i-need-a-gas-station-attached-to-me-69-charger-promo-vid    where the announcer raves over its 0-30 and 0-60 times.  I made a comment the new Dodge Demon has a faster 0-60 that it took the '69 Charger (which I really like, btw) to go 0-30.

Craig

Nowhere did I say the car was in stock configuration, only that the 455 was basically stock. The car also has tubular A frames, disc brakes, custom 9” Ford to Olds configured differential, Strange axles, and a built th400. It’s a street/drag car and a perfect example of what can be done with the old iron of yesterday.

• Like 1

Lively thread.  Reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy in my office a couple years ago about the 1989 MB 560 SL.

"How much horsepower is that car anyway"

"Well factory spec is around 225, it was the third fastest production car in 1989 behind a porsche and corvette you know"

"225, that's it? Hmm..."

He only heard "225" I am sure, as a non car guy around  age 40 or 42, his frame of reference wasn't contemporary 1989 cars, but the altima with 200+ hp in base form he just bought and maybe an occasional ad or reference to 300, 400, 500 hp cars that seem to be in everyone's line ups today.

BTW, OP I suspect was more interested in throwing some doggie do into a large shop fan than our feedback.  One and done, watch the fun! 😁😁

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, padgett said:

Funny, woulda thunk the six cyl Trans Am in '89 would be one of the fastest of the year.

Or a mustang gt.  I only know what r&t, c&d reported, and just trivia to me anyway, but the car has some punch to it.

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Im a Pontiac guy, but given the choice I would take either one of the cars in the OP. If Im spending my money for that era it would be a GTO. 

Amen! 

Also interesting to see the OP hasn't even looked at this since his first (and only) post on this forum.   Another example of someone who posts then disappears. - it's a DISCUSSION forum so how bout participating!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Amen! 

Also interesting to see the OP hasn't even looked at this since his first (and only) post on this forum.   Another example of someone who posts then disappears. - it's a DISCUSSION forum so how bout participating!

Drive by posters are ok in my book.  They swoop in with a dumb question and disappear, but we spend two weeks going in every direction related to the original post.  Sometimes it gets pretty interesting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

After the first couple of post I thought it was something akin to a catfish of some sort. Had all the earmarks of a 'scam'. I didnt and havent even clicked on the links. I didnt want to say anything as there was another thread recently that called out a one post person for being non responsive about then they finally responded. About once a month or more something pops up on a Pontiac forum that has no relevance whatsoever. Usually someone selling something.

I find it somewhat funny that it was a ONE post lead in that has led to 2 pages of discussion!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TAKerry said:

I find it somewhat funny that it was a ONE post lead in that has led to 2 pages of discussion!

Sometimes it is a troll, but sometimes somebodies stupid ass question like this one is gold.

• Like 1

Reminds me of a discussion about how to clean the backside of one's windshield when dash design presents a big obsticle.  Half the posts lambasted OP for a silly question, while the other half discussed some creative approaches to getting into a space with less than an inch clearance.  Beats 99% of the news I think. 

• Like 4

I'm not completely against a post like this. While it may not comport with the ideas of the mainstream, it gives me some insight into how some of the forum members think. The AACA and the forum has a focus and an agenda, but the members are not single faceted, when it come to our hobby. I can think of no better way to get to know all of you then to listen to what you say about things generally not discussed.  

24 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I'm not completely against a post like this. While it may not comport with the ideas of the mainstream, it gives me some insight into how some of the forum members think. The AACA and the forum has a focus and an agenda, but the members are not single faceted, when it come to our hobby. I can think of no better way to get to know all of you then to listen to what you say about things generally not discussed.  

The top ten list every year or so is good for that as well, Bill.  BTW you must be messing with me by posting the XKE for sale recently.  I need to rethink the #$/6sh list again.. 😁

3 hours ago, padgett said:

"what cigarette lighter in the 70's got hot the quickest.." - no question, the DKW (also the most dangerous).

And Borgward.

(Except neither car were built in the 70's)

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Reminds me of a discussion about how to clean the backside of one's windshield when dash design presents a big obstacle.  Half the posts lambasted OP for a silly question, while the other half discussed some creative approaches to getting into a space with less than an inch clearance.  Beats 99% of the news I think. 

OK, now I want to know how to wash the backside of the windshield when dash design presents a big obstacle?

Fastest cars in the 70s by far... almost 400mph (huge debate in the slot car community?...250-500mph scale (HO))

image.png.95c52b25459e2177e423af0aee1f6d7a.png

What the?

image.png.006e0ef834d2b7ad4bff457fdb05f14e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Graham Man, the Benzworld guys swore me to secrecy on the flexible common plastic spatula wrapped in thick paper towels so I cannot tell you what the consensus was... 😁

I got a neat little gadget from Stoner glass cleaner, I think I used it once!

• Like 1