Gauges/ fuel

denper

I have a 32 dodge sedan positive 6 volt system. Recently swamping out all the gauges. So far the oil, amp and temp all working properly.  The new gauges are wired for 12 Volt. I am not sure what I have to do about the fuel gauge. Can I keep the original sender unit or must it be replaced. I also installed a 12 volt converter just in case I decide to add radio etc. if my new fuel gauge will not work with the existing sender can I then wire the gauge to the new 12 volt converter. Thank you for any info you can provide.

Are the other gauges running on 6v positive ground?

There are a whole bunch of different standards for fuel senders. In the postwar era, there's GM, Chrysler, Ford, Stewart Warner aftermarket, VDO aftermarket, etc. etc. Including prewar adds a bunch more and I don't even know what they all are. I have heard that aftermarket gauges with electronics inside are available today that support all the common (read that as "postwar") standards, and you just change jumpers or a switch. I've not seen one yet. I assume they run on 12v negative ground only. If your 32 Dodge sending unit happens to have the same resistance range (and direction) as one of the common later standards, that might be a way.

In any other scenario, the gauge has to be bought to match the sending unit, or the sending unit has to be bought to match the gauge.

I believe some older Chrysler products had a bimetallic voltage reducer incorporated into the sending unit. If you have that I doubt you would get it to work with any type of modern gauge.