Generator removal '27 Chrysler 6

Flivverking

I'm looking to pull the generator from the Chrysler 70 for a once in 94 year go over and wanted to know a head how is it coupled to the timing chain?

To my chagrin ,in 47 years of fiddling with a number of cars with this design ,the ones I had were in such good shape, all I every did was adjust the timing chain and clean,paint and detail around the block and generator etc.

Is the drive gear right on the generator (like a direct to timing gear set up)and you just carefully snake it out trying not cause any chain motion or is the gennie cammed into some kind of  bits that stays connected to the a timing case and chain and drive gear stays with the chain connected.

I never found an exploded parts view to see what is up?

Hi,

If it’s  the same layout as my 75. I made a tool to lock the drive gear in place so the generator could be removed. It was just 2 bent pieces of 1/4 rod welded to a flat plate. Remove the access plate on the front of the timing chain cover, loosen the nut on the drive gear, insert the tool though suitable holes in the gear and secure through the flat plate using one of the bolt holes for the cover. You can then remove the generator shaft without the gear falling off the chain. I will find it tomorrow and take a photo for you. It worked well and didn’t take too long.

Yours John

I’m anxious to see that tool. I did not use any fabricated tools. Just carefully removed and carefully re-install. Once unbolted, you had to kind if rotate the generator inward and down. 
obviously, since this is the timing chain, be careful about not disturbing the engine. Remove battery. 
Tom

Make sure the engine is at TDC with dizzy rotor at #1 spark plug lead, so if you do drop the timing chain, you can slip it back on but you may need to remove the timing cover which is also the front engine mount. So make sure you don't let it slip off the cam or crank gear.

I removed the generator and replaced it with an alternator hanging off the other side driven by the fan belt, the series 65 '29 model timing chain works with the cam and crank gears. '29 timing chain is common to an Auburn of similar years, so if you find one, its not going to be cheap, ask me how I know.

Gurrrr.

Well ,some light is shedded..

The '27 70s do not have a front access plate..

I suspect it's going to be loosen the gennie as to slackin the timing chain.Then remove the mounting bolts completely and cant to gennie drive gear inward toeard the block and away from the chain while carefully pulling it outward on a bit of a  diagonal.

All while making sure not to disturb the chain at the cam or crank gear or make any hint of rotation to the chain .

Any mistakes😱 and it would be  block up the motor and remove the huge iron front timing case cover which is also the engine mount,to straighten the internal mess out... 😓

I'm a little late to this discussion and confused.  I have a 1928 Chrysler Model 72 and I recently pulled the generator out because my engine is to be serviced.  It came out with no problem.  Is there something about the removal and installation that requires special note?  I know there is a square headed set screw that is used to set the tension of the timing chain when it engages the generator.  Again, any tips which would be helpful will be most appreciated.  Thank you. 

Hi Flivverking, but does it address the square headed set screw and how the tension of the timing chain is impacted?

13 minutes ago, leomara said:

Hi Flivverking, but does it address the square headed set screw and how the tension of the timing chain is impacted?

Yeah...don't disturb the interposed flange that carries the generator drive sproket.

That flange has the square adjusting bolt you mention..Leave that alone.

The drive gear stays with the chain is what I wanted to know.

The manual does have the timing chain adjustment stuff.

0507210949.jpg

Hi again, it's to late for not disturbing the set screw, I found mine broken in half when I removed the generator so I will have to determine how to adjust it when I put the generator back.  Thank you for the two page photos, all information helps.

7 hours ago, leomara said:

Hi again, it's to late for not disturbing the set screw, I found mine broken in half when I removed the generator so I will have to determine how to adjust it when I put the generator back.  Thank you for the two page photos, all information helps.

adj.jpg.2addf1f201f0343676bbbb1b09d898b2.jpg