First outing this season trucking.

mikewest

My first  planned outing in a Franklin this season and had  to take a tire⁹ apart . I've got 700/19  tires on the truck and I hate them. They are too big for the rims. I had to clamp the tire down to get the ring on working alone. I'm ordering a new set of Deman 650/ 19s this week. Other that the tire problem all went well. 

20210425_110909.jpg

20210425_124346.jpg

20210425_124443.jpg

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome looking Franklin Truck!  I can just imagine the jaws dropping when you pull into a Home Depot or Lowe's garden center and start loading up a 1/2 doz. bags of mulch and drive off.    

Bwa ha ha!

Beautiful truck, Mike.

I'm more impressed with your technique to remove/install the snap rings. What size vise-grip clamps are those? Does it make a big difference?

I've tried using c-clamps but found they were miserable to work with. Ended up using nothing.

If your technique really works, then it would be worth the investment. Vise-grips are not cheap.

P.S. I've got 10 wheels to do - four on my '21 9B and six on my '29 135. 

12 hours ago, RansomEli said:

Beautiful truck, Mike.

I'm more impressed with your technique to remove/install the snap rings. What size vise-grip clamps are those? Does it make a big difference?

I've tried using c-clamps but found they were miserable to work with. Ended up using nothing.

If your technique really works, then it would be worth the investment. Vise-grips are not cheap.

P.S. I've got 10 wheels to do - four on my '21 9B and six on my '29 135. 

I bought a case of these deep voice grips. They work great  on these oversize 700 19 tires. I'll look and measure them up or see if they have a model #. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike... Your Franklin Truck is Beautiful...... and I bet it handles real will even at freeway speeds.... I am looking for a set (two) front, full elliptic springs from a Franklin...... in good useable condition.... Might you have some for sale.....?????    if, so PM me... or email me....    sunnybabaspirit@yahoo.com