How has your top 10 changed?

ericmac

Per a suggestion from another thread several of us were discussing how "our cars to own" list has changed as we have aged. As I think about it,  mine has gone from a list only attainable if I were to win the lottery or managed to become independently wealthy. While I still have a couple holy grails on my list, most of mine includes either cars I already own or are fairly attainable. I admit that there are probably cars here that some of you would say "huh?" but they are cars I would really enjoy, or do enjoy.  Without further ado,  my current list of dream cars is as follows:

1911 Ford Open Runabout 

1913 Ford Touring 

1929 Franklin 137 Sport Runabout 

1932 Duesenberg SJ Murphy Phaeton 

1937 Cadillac 70 Series Convertible Sedan 

1946-8 Nash Ambassador 

1950 Chevrolet 3100 pickup

1963 Lincoln Convertible 

1967 VW Cabriolet

1991-5 Mazda Miata M-edition 

While this list will likely change tomorrow,  this is the list today.  How about the rest of you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No-one in my family was into cars except me so  only cars I grew up with. Are three I've always liked but have enough cars now and no longer really fit.

- Studillac

- Facel Vega HK-500

- 57 3/4 size replica Cadillac (suicide rear doors, dual quads)...

Eric, thanks for starting this.....As you say, my list today.....

Straight Axle corvette

Midyear corvette

Shark corvette

1966 ish Alfa spider

MGTC

MGA

Big Healey

Etype Jag

733 Packard club sedan

740 Packard Dual Cowl Phaeton

740 Packard Roadster

63-65 Riviera

• Like 2

An interesting question - if only because it makes me realize that my taste has never changed.

Like Padgett, no one in my family was the slightest bit interested in cars and I had no exposure to antique cars until I was at least in High School although most of it came after. I did read about them...the brass era was always my favorite which plays havoc with the often repeated "fact" that we are all influenced by the cars we grew up around. I've no interest at all in the cars my parents owned or in those that were popular and desirable when I was in my teens. The only problem is that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I'll ever be able to afford any of the cars on my "wish list".

A SG RR, preferably before WWI

A 48 HP Locomobile - also pre WWI

A big, pre-1905 European car (I did get close as I once had the bones of a very early Panhard & Levassor)

An Iron head PI RR (I had an aluminum head car - with a bad head)

I'm not sure could think of 10...

Realistically, the best I could hope for now would be a 1923-1926 20 HP RR in shabby condition.

Failing that, a Cadillac or a Franklin in the early to mid 20s. I don't have another extensive restoration in me – nor do I have the money for one – but tatty condition doesn't bother me and I do the mechanical work myself.

• Like 1

My top 4 has been set in stone since I was in high school. (Started hs in 1999)

#1. El Camino. Any year, I love them all, but 1970 and 1959 are my two favorite. I've also really taken to the forgotten generation of 73-77 lately, and that is the generation I've sort of targeted. 

#2 Edsel, either 1958 or 59. Don't care which model or trim level as long as it has four doors.

#3 Bullet nose Studebaker. Don't care which of the two years, love the design. 

#4 early 50s Pontiac. I specifically fell in love with the 1950 model, but any of that generation is beautiful. 

Below that it gets murkier. I love so many cars. And the list changes. 

It includes, in no particular order other than how I remembered them:

1969 Dodge Charger Daytona

1980s Ford LTD wagon (had two when I was little and have fond memories of them)

Model T

1920s big square body car. Brand doesn't matter, it's more the body shape/general style that I like

1948-53 Chevrolet pickup

Volkswagen Beetle

Unfortunately with my health problems and lack of funds I probably won't be able to get any ever. 

• Like 1

I think I have two top tens.

One is the cars I own and the other is the cars I should have collected.

One, on the cars that I own, two of them I've had over 50 years, another two over 40 years and of those 4 cars, two of them I bought new. They were all good to me and as a reward they were gone through and I have pleasure driving and showing them. Because I do all my own work these cars are in a way a extension of me. I am fortunate that I have the knowledge, tools, and space for them.

The other top ten cars are cars that also interest me,- a couple I do own, but since I already have enough cars it's out of the question adding more.

So here is the dream list and one of them I sold over 50+ years ago in my tender unknowing youth and I will start with that one first.

1. 1959 Pontiac Catalina hardtop coupe, a S/O car ordered through the zone office by my Dad for drag racing in A/SA. 389 Tri-Power-420-A NASCAR engine hand built by Pontiac engineering, HD 4 speed HydraMatic, Bonneville interior and Bonneville only paint. I got my IHRA license in it when I was 14 racing it in F/SA. I sold the car in 1968. Selling a S/O was a BIG mistake! In 1978 I started looking for it to restore, I had access to MVD records and found it had been shredded a month before I started looking, at least I have a affidavit from Clean Steel for my scrap book on the car.  

2. 1963 Pontiac Tempest Custom with the 336 V-8 and 3 speed stick. Why? only year for the new 336 ( the next year it becomes a 326 in the new A body) and a Pontiac production car with a engine in front and a transaxle in the rear with 4 wheel independent suspension.

3. 1964 Pontiac GTO Tri-Power, 4 speed . Why? It was the first.

4. 1940 Pontiac Torpedo coupe. Why? Pontiac was built on all three chassis ( A-Chevrolet, B- Olds-Buick and C- Cadillac ) and the Torpedo eight was built on the Cadillac C body for only 1940-41.

5. 1932 Pontiac 302 Sport coupe Why? Pontiac's first V-8

6.  1966 Corvair Corsa 4 speed Why? air cooled flat six, four link transaxle, Turbo.

7.  1966 Corvette stingray. Why? Mark4 , 4speed, four wheel IS. America 1st sports car. 

8. 1965 VW Beetle. Why ? Air cooled flat 4, Overbuilt over engineered transaxle with 4 wheel independent indestructible suspension, great mileage, and If you've owned one you know that car will grow on you like no other.

9. 1965 911S. Why? drive one and see.

10. 1965 Mustang Fastback GT, 4 speed. Looks, a great engine. 

• Like 1

My list has been about the same since my teen years. We have been able to own some of my dream cars, but they have come and gone already, so we've been lucky or fortunate. I  changed my priorities of keeping my dream cars by selling them to be able to get this place in Hawaii, and don't regret anything about it ! 

My big luxury dream car is a huge 30s era Packard 12 cylinder, and my WOW ! dream car is still from the 1st pic and the 1st time I saw of one, a REAL GT-40 Ford small block or big block, (but small block actually preferred) from the 64 to 69 era.  My "show my immaturity" car would be a tube framed, Jon Kasse 830 cubic inch (or so)  Pro Stock engine'd 61 Falcon Ranchero with a regular old 4 speed top loader, a "steep" gear like a 3:91 to 4:57 ratio, and full independent suspension.  Fortunately, I am safe, as I am too old and certainly not wealthy enough to afford any of them, and besides, the Packard is too big for our location, and I'd get killed in either one of the other two, since at only 73 years old, I haven't got thru' my goofy, out of control, still think I'm a 19 year old car nut years yet, ha !

• Like 1

I have no order for my top 10. Listed just as they come to mind, along with some changes of opinion (as requested) that have had an impact on my list over the years :

1 -  1941 Ford Super Deluxe wagon. While the iconic '40 Ford woody wagon  used to be my favorite, I now feel the '41 is more "starkly elegant" in that ultra-cool '40's outdoorsy kind of way.

2 -  Maybe even more elegant still would be the '49 - '51 Mercury Eight woody wagon. Love to have one.

3 -  '56 - '57 Corvette. In terms of looks, the ultimate American sports car.

4 -  Aston Martin DB4. Due to obscene price, this is pure fantasy.

5 -  XKE. I can't afford this, either. (Actually, I can't afford any of these cars. 😄)

6 -  1953-54  Studebaker Starliner or Starlight coupe. These are so beautiful to look at that I almost wouldn't mind having an affordable basket case to put in my driveway.

7 -   Avanti...a real one. I used to think I could accept a post-Studebaker version, but I don't think so now (Don't get me wrong, though...they're still cool.)

8 -  Third gen T-Bird, though owning a fourth gen at the moment has kind of cooled the desire. Used to want one of those roadsters until I heard how mechanically challenging the convertibles are.

9 -  I'd still like to have a '60's Impala, as my first car was a '66 Super Sport. I think '67 is my favorite year, now...two door hardtop, of course. Wouldn't have to be an SS, though. 

10 -  Three way Toss up. '63.5 Galaxie 2 door ht or late '60's Cougar. But I'm thinking a '58 Mercury Voyager 2 door might be cooler than both; it's America's only true 2 door ht wagon (I believe.)

Cars no longer on the list: If I were younger, I'd love a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang. Most beautiful car of the muscle/pony era, but it needs a young person driving. If I were shorter I'd definitely want a 55-7 Thunderbird. I won't shoehorn myself into any car, though. (This applies even more to another past favorite: the Lotus Europa.) If were richer, however...even much much much richer, I still wouldn't own what I consider to be the most beautifully styled car ever made: the Maserati  A6GCS Berlinetta coupe. Tens of millions of dollars should be donated to the homeless or sick kids, not spent on a single car.  Oh, and I can't fit in one of those, either. 😄

My list is basically the same as it was when I was 12 years old.  Either I'm a creature of habit, or at heart just still that 12-year-old daydreaming about cars.    

• Like 4

Being a relatively new member about 5 years and British , firstly I was pretty ignorant of American classics ,

although I drooled over some examples I had seen here at car rallies , caddy’s , Chevys and muscle cars  I knew very little .

i started looking at American 50scars on the Internet as they had always been my favourites , fell in love with Buick 53 skylarks and thought I’d love to own one , but prices then over 100k  to rich for me . I also loved 50s and early 60s corvettes , there again big money . Eventually found a beautiful  immaculate 53 Buick special convertible and bought and kept for three years wonderful eye catching car loved it . I only sold as live by sea and the salt in the air was starting to affect chrome. 

Through my visitation to this site I gradually noticed my attention drawn to 30s and 40s cars , particularly speedsters and convertibles , auburn, piece arrow , Packard , Delaheye ( french) but seen on here for the first  time and obviously love the pre war mercs ( Germany I know but also displayed on here mostly thanks to Walt and John )

choosing a top ten is very difficult , but I suppose it would have to include  58 -60 corvette sportster, 53/54 skylark convertible , a 30s speedster and convertible ( possibly 34 packard ) a 40s convertible ( caddy or olds or Buick ) a 54 Darin sportster and 20s grand tourer rolls or duesenberg . In my dreams !! 😁

Edited by Pilgrim65
Spelling mistake (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I greatly appreciate all the thoughtful answers here. Several of you have done a better job explaining yours lists than I have done. It seems ironic that I was listening to Bruce Springsteen singing Glory Days as I was reading some of the responses; seemed apropos. 

As a further explanation of my own thinking,  I had (and still have) an extensive collection of scale model cars. I blame my mother for that as she got me started on Matchbox collecting and later building models.  In short, my adolescent dream was to duplicate my model collection in real cars. 

Looking back on that dream: all 5 bodystyles of the 734 Packards, 4 Bugatti Royales, multiple 500K, 540 K and 770K Mercedes, Rolls Royces and all the Duesenberg SJs one could could imagine,  plus a sprinkling of many, many other cars like Model Ts, Model As, brass cars, sports, exotics, muscle cars,  brass cars, it was pure impractical fantasyland,  but a great fantasy just the same. 

As I have aged, the dreams have become more realistic and attainable but I have never given up on the idea of owning a grand Classic, and a brass car, (dreams that I have achieved in my '37 Cadillac and my '13 T Touring), nor the dream of owning a '29 Franklin and a reliable '60s Lincoln convertible (mayhap the latter is a fantasy?). The Duesenberg dream? Well, dumb as I know this behavior is,  that's why I occasionally play the lottery!

Keep the great responses coming folks.

• Like 3

That's where my lifelong love of automobiles also began. Still going strong. Because my health doesn't allow the real cars, I've decided to collect as many of them in scale as I can. I lost count somewhere around 11 thousand 1/64 cars, and I purposely stopped counting at 1000 plastic models. Both of those numbers are from more than a decade ago, now. 

Although I don't have the largest collection known, I have built the largest NASCAR diecast collection known. Which is kind of mind blowing considering my budget, but it adds up after 29 years. 

• Like 4

Actually I reallize how stable my list has been over time.  10 is a tough number though. Aside from a Bearcat, and a few Full Classics at the higher end of the scale (Model J, any of several big Packards, etc. and for postwar the 300 SL in Roadster form) this focuses on cars I have not yet owned, but might or might repeat:

Any 37 or earlier Packard, a jr. Club sedan or coupe would be high on this list, sort of a repeat.

A closed 30, 31 Model A, sedan or pickup.  I live in New England. Repeat, and only in addition to, not replacing my roadster.  Oh, a 2 door phaeton maybe, the only Model A I might prefer over the roadster.

'33- '37 V8 open Ford

'29 - 31 A-V8 or '32 traditional highboy hotrod.  Not really an AACA vehicle, but on the list.

'40 -'48 Lincoln Continental, price drop making them harder to ignore, especially the earliest cars. An earlier model would be of interest as well.

MG T series, TC for it's great lines and history as the car that started the sportscar craze stateside, TD, TF for go, and essentially the same spirit.

'55 -'57 Tbird always liked them, and they seem like a bargain today compared to a lot of 50s stuff.

'61- '63 Lincoln best full size style of the 60s, IMHO.  Mechanicals are a cause of concern 

'65, '66 Mustang, great design for a sporty car.

C2 Corvette, great all around, but another chrome bumper C3 would work with 3 pedals. Semi-repeat

Honorable mention due to over limit:

Several prewar non-Classics, non-Fords, these cars can be great deals.

'67 -'68 Or '79 - '85 Eldorado.  I like both generations, although having had access to an 85 when new, they are awesome cars to drive.

MB Pagoda SL, but the best ones are the later big engine cars, now overpriced, IMO.

Tri Five Chevy - repeat

TR4 or TR6 - repeat

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
Refining the list. Again. (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I already own my #1 off the list, 1977 Trans Am.  I have liked Pontiacs since mom had a 67 firebird when I was a kid. My bucket list would be the following:

1. 1983 Daytona Trans Am

2. any Delorean

3. 1971 Mustang Mach 1

4. any Model A

Of course a dream car would be akin to something with 16 cylinders but I know that will never happen. I suppose I would have to sell my bikes or a car to get something off the list who knows maybe someday.  My tastes and preferences are pretty simple, kinda like me LOL.

My top ten hasn't really changed since I was a kid with the exception of adding in a Ford Model A.

I already own 2 pre-war cars that I would never dream of getting rid of but I can think of a few more cars I would like to add, realistic or not.

1. 1933 Pierce Arrow Silver Arrow
  2. 1926 Rickenbacker Super Sport
  3. 1933 Pierce Arrow Dual Cowl Phaeton
  4. 1932 Duesenberg SJ Phaeton
  5. 1958 Corvette with manual trans
  6. 1930 Ford Model A
  7. 1969 Camaro convertible 350/4 speed
  8. 1957 Chevy Truck
  9. 1962 Cadillac convertible
  10. 1954 MG TF
Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have what I suspect is a pretty mundane list

1. 1966 Plymouth Fury III two door hardtop, 383/440, 4 speed trans light         blue with blue interior.

2 1954 Plymouth Savoy four door sedan

3.1965/66 Corvair Corsa manual trans, either turbo or 140 hp

4.1961 Rambler Ambassador four door, 327, automatic 

5. 1980 Plymouth Arrow Sport pickup truck.  Manual trans.

6. Early 60’s Studebaker Lark. Two door, V8, manual trans w/od

7. 1970-77 Ford Maverick or Mercury Comet. Two door sedan Big six(200 cu in), three speed manual trans.

8. 1966 Sunbeam Alpine(just to look at, couldn’t get into or more correctly out of it today)

9. 1968/69 Plymouth Satellite two door, 383, 4 speed trans.

10. 1966 Chrysler two or four door.

if you had asked me this question 50 years ago I probably would have said all of them on the road at that time. Each different car was an adventure to young me. Very few were not interesting to me.

Dunno if my list has changed but here it is in chronological (not necessarily preferential) order:

1930 Ford Town Car (only a handful made - different than the 1929 which also is rare)

1931 Ford Travelers Wagon (less than a dozen made and no known survivors - there are a few reproductions)

1937 DeSoto Coupe and/or Convertible

1948 Dodge Business Coupe

1966 Ford/Shelby Mustang 350GT-H

1969 Dodge Hemi Charger 500

1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass SX

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

1990 Mercury Cougar XR7

Any 1928 -1948 Ford Coupe, Convertible, Pickup, Delivery, and/or Heavy Commercial (some of which are rare)

Yeah, I cheated on the DeSoto and the 10th one.  😁

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

Maybe like everyone else my list has been "maturing" as I get older.   I make the joke about 55-57 T-Birds being for old guys and suddenly I've decided I like them.

I'll only list one because it is the consistent one that has been on my list since I was 14,  which is a 66 GTO Convertible with a black roof and a stick.

Lots of other stuff has come and gone,  some of which I actually owned and said "Why the hell was that on my list"?

I went through a Nash Metro phase for about 2 weeks in my early 20s.  Thank god that passed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Maybe like everyone else my list has been "maturing" as I get older.   I make the joke about 55-57 T-Birds being for old guys and suddenly I've decided I like them.

AJ buy the GTO.

1) consistently on your list

2) T-bird has been on my list for 10 plus years.  For 10 plus years I have been hearing "Suzanne somers car, you don't really want one, do you?"  

Of course if you go T-bird route I can bring that up every now and then... 🤔😁

7 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

AJ buy the GTO.

Steve,  we need the intersection of me sitting on the money when just the right car appears.  That hasn't happened yet.  Plus you know the requirements are a lot more than the year, top color and stick.  I see maybe one car every other year that fully fits the bill.  I'm always looking.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Steve,  we need the intersection of me sitting on the money when just the right car appears. 

This is perhaps 90% of the equation from my perspective. I had one year where I had 3 kids in college at the same time.  I’ve never seen so many fabulous cars for sale at rock bottom prices in a 12 month window......  as I looked from afar......unable to pull the trigger....... 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

John, I could have been lazy and just copied your excellent list btw!

Ok Steve, let’s get busy on it. Maybe we each get 5 and share ever other year. 

i’m surprise nobody busted my chops on my list, the request was for 10 but I snuck a couple more in there because I couldn’t figure out which ones to eliminate!

• Like 1

No specific rules. Honestly,  if I had the funds I would go Bill Harrah on you guys and try to own everything.  As I am now, i have a small collection but always want "just one more."

I very much liked the idea of pursuing what has been on my list for the longest amount of time,  or what consistently is on the list. I've never written a list without a '29 Franklin on it. So that has to be the next car.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ericmac said:

No specific rules. Honestly,  if I had the funds I would go Bill Harrah on you guys and try to own everything. 

Totally in agreement here.

However specific dream list  currently would be as follows, no chronological order:

1) C1 Corvette, any year, but prefer '57 back. Would be a really tough toss up were I to find myself choosing between a '57  and the ONE  attainable Corvette with my favorite motor, the little reliable and unloved 235 Stovebolt Six, a '54. ('53 would never happen, too much money)

2)1937-1940 Packard Sedan. Don't care if it is jr series or senior series. I simply love the styling, even on the base six cylinder models. Currently stalking what I believe to be a '37 120 that a local guy has but seems to think it is a one of a kind senior series in regards to price.

3) C2 Corvette

4) Chrome bumper C3, preferably blue on blue, 4 speed, 427 car.

5) 1996 Grand Sport Corvette. Wanted one since the day they hit the market. That blue...and that stripe....

6) C5 Z06

7) C6 Corvette , preferably the Blue ZR1 with black interior (blue piping on the seats). Obviously I am addicted to the Corvette.

😎 I own this one- 1952 Chevy 3100- bucket list is to actually get it painted and presentable, which is a challenge since I am too busy driving it.

9)Model T. They fascinate me.

10) MG TD.

The model A used to be high on my list, and I wouldn't kick about the chance to own one, but the more I look the more I really prefer the bigger, slightly more road capable late 30's sedans.

My problem, in addition to being unable to afford these, is storage. While every blasted one of the cars on this list would be drivers, because I can't help myself, I'd rather drive than polish, they still need a roof over 'em.

Edited by Roscoe
Named a none-existent model- Z05- when I meant Z06 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

It is interesting to see everyones lists.  

Roscoe I went from a Model A tudor to a 39 Packard and back to the A again.  Your logic on late 30s cars being much more roadable was part of it, as was the lifelong desire to be the man that owns one.  Back to the A again.  Why?  I wanted an open car, and my personal favorite period for styling is 28 to 33 or 34.  And an A is relatively easy to own and move along later if that is what develops.  That said, you are a bit more limited especially on the highway.  So it is a definate trade off for sure.  Also one of the few cars I would not mind having another in, as they can be had in interesting body styles pretty reasonably and you do get a somewhat different car.

I should also revise my vette section to be open to most any chrome bumper C3 on back.

Today anyway, next one would most likely be an MGTD (seems kind of popular here), 2 seat tbird or another A.  

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Steve, your experience  with having a second go around with a certain model is educational. A couple cars I had previously and sold, I want to “do again”, but there are some specific lessons I learned from the first period of ownership that I will apply when I take another swing at that model....  to include:

mark 1 MGB

early Alfa Spider

55 tbird

chrome bumper shark

I had at least one of the above models and sold them, but would like to have the experience again with some of the wisdom I gained from the first time.   Steve, I’d be interested in hearing what you learned from your first model A experience that you factored into doing it again....  I don’t want to hijack Eric’s thread.....maybe the idea for a new one........  call it “the second time around”......maybe I should search, perhaps this was done before as a topic and already exists again. I am sure taking a second time around with a car you have previously owned is a game changer, your eyes are open to so many things you learned (sometimes painfully) from the first go around. 

I wish we were all sitting at a pub, coffee shop or someone’s backyard talking through these lists together. I am easily influenced by a persuasive argument by you guys talking about the reasons you love a certain make and model. 

• Like 1

If we are allowed more than 10...

1957 Chevrolet. It's iconic. I've had recurring dreams about being in one with my dad on the Adirondack Northway for the past 25 years. (And my dad has been gone from cancer for 19 years)

Crosley. Wagon preferred. I just love them. Not sure I could actually get into and out of one...I'm kind of clutzy, I have a bad back...might be better to appreciate from afar. 

Something brass/pre brass era. In fact ...

A whole "history of the automobile" collection with one car (or more) from every year... yeah, now we're getting into the crazy part. 

A Reeves Octoauto. I know they supposedly don't exist. I'd be ok with a replica. 

An Oscar Meyer Weinermobile. I don't think they sell them. 

A traditional hot rod 32 or 34 Ford. A kit car/fiberglass body would be fine with me, and in fact actually preferred. I would have no qualms about modification of a current production, but modification of an original is sacrilege. 

A Ferrari F40. I've never actually seen one in person. My favorite Italian car ever. 

A DeSoto. Always liked the brand. 

A 65 Mustang. Iconic. Was my favorite car before I discovered El Caminos. 

A bathtub Nash. There is one that used to be a regular at Rhinebeck. Loved it. It was tan with a metallic brown top. I even liked the colors.

80-96 Bronco. A former girlfriend's dad had one. Been a fan of them since. 

70 Chevelle in 4-door. My mom had one until 1991. (Hers was a 72, but we like 7O better) Rust ate it. I tried to find one to replace hers for her...a big birthday coming up for her next year...but it's impossible to find the right one. She only wants one in blue, like hers was. This wouldn't be for me but would lead to lots of benefits for me so I'm including it. (We have been going to car shows as spectators together my entire life, still do. It is a dream of mine to be an exhibitor)

Although I've stated that I will never own another modern Mopar, having had four and nothing but trouble out of any of them, I would not turn down a Prowler or 2005-08 Charger. And I've always liked the looks of the 1994 and later Ram. I can't go down that road again. And when the Mopars were semi running, that was both literal and figurative.

80s Lincoln Town Car. A friend of the family had one. Loved the looks of it. 

80s Suburban. The big square ones. Loved them too. Never see them anymore but I remember them well from when I was a kid. 

Any station wagon from the 50s-80s. 

A Chevette. Yes, really. My lifelong love of the automobile started when I received a 1/64 Chevette for Christmas 1985, when I was 1 year and 2 months old. I suspect I actually could afford one but good luck finding any! 

I could keep going until I listed every car ever made...

• Like 2

I don't think my top 10 wish list has changed too much from about 20 years ago.

Something larger and sporty from the 1908 -1912 era.

A circa 1914 T speedster.

Something sporty from the later teens, Marmon, Stutz, etc.

Later 1920's Marmon 8

Traditional 32 Ford highboy , circa 1948 

1946 GMC 1 Ton or 2 ton , preferably with a 4 BT swap

MGA twin cam, or deluxe

Elva MK6

Lola T 212

TVR 2500 Vixen , preferably one of the transition 1972 Vixens with the old body and improved " M " chassis. { like my old one }

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 11:07 PM, JamesR said:

6 -  1953-54  Studebaker Starliner or Starlight coupe. These are so beautiful to look at that I almost wouldn't mind having an affordable basket case to put in my driveway.

7 -   Avanti...a real one. I used to think I could accept a post-Studebaker version, but I don't think so now (Don't get me wrong, though...they're still cool.)

Never thought I was a Studebaker fan.  When I was young, my mother told me her brother had owned one and said it was the worst car ever...

But there is an early '50s Starlight coupe that must live fairly near me.  I see it out driving on occasion.  Really an interesting little car.  Had a co-worker years ago that owned an Avanti.  Wouldn't mind one of those either.  Post-Studebaker with SBC engine would most likely be easiest to live with.

Dream car as a teenager was a '70 Buick Gran Sport w/455 and 4 speed.

Love the mid-60s to early 70s Corvettes.

Other cars on my list are in the 7-figure range these days,  so utterly unaffordable...  (E.g., '55-'57 300 SL, early '70s 365GTB4 or GTC4 Daytona, etc.)

• Like 2

My list:

1) ’58 Corvette Stingray Convertible like my dad owed and I drove to parades. Metallic blue with white coves and a blue interior. Still not over dad selling it when I turned 18 because he was offered “an obscene amount of money” for it. 😆 I liked it better than his ‘63 SWC. My all time favorite car. 

2) ‘70 Boss Bronco. Really regret selling and wish I’d have known what it was. Dad probably knew but he didn’t indicate on his insurance that he knew the current value. Then again with his AZ, he hadn’t adjusted those values in years. Tried to keep it in the family by selling to my son, but soon after he had to sell it. Was heartbroken when I later found out what it was and realized my dream of some day owing it again was crushed. It has an excellent home with a prominent collector now. He said I’m welcome to visit it and go for a ride anytime. 👍

3) ‘65 MB Pagode. Saw it in a movie a few years ago. 😍

4) 1930 Model A 5 window. Grew to love dad’s blue with black fenders car. 

5) ‘71 LT1 T top Corvette, red. Another of dad’s cars. 

6) ‘24 Model T Roadster PU. You guessed it, one dad had. 

7) ‘61 Corvair Rampside. Would be afraid to drive it but it was cool. 

😎First Gen Dodge Challenger Hemi would be cool. 

9) ‘804WD GMC High Sierra PU. Drove one in High School. 

10) ‘63 SWC Stingray.  

Feel very fortunate to own dad’s ‘57 Retractable and ‘63 Monza Spyder Convertible. Luckily I don’t have the money or garage space for more. 

Really neat thread and find it interesting to read other’s lists. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I actually typed out my My "Top Ten" list

several years ago.  However, it was more like

a Top Thirty, since I couldn't limit it to 10.

I made it practical, not including cars that were

above my reach.  Some cars to me are desirable

as convertibles or 2-doors;  for others, a 4-door

hardtop would be fine.  Occasionally, it was a 

distinctive color for a common car that brought it

onto the list.

Looking at my list, I see I've actually bought a 

couple of those cars:  a 1969 Cadillac in purple

and a 1979 Buick Electra in green.  Those were very

specific criteria that I didn't necessarily expect to

achieve.  But it's a lifetime quest and hobby

that will never be truly complete!

DSCF4413.JPG

1979 Buick Electra mine (2).JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Those members that know my vehicles and know which I show know my top 10 or so are as I say. Anything with two fours, four speed and solid lifters.  But to add some that don’t fit in the first grouping

1966-1968 427 single Four bbl HP Corvettes especially the L88 versions 67&68.

427 Yenko and Motion or COPO vehicles

any of the solid lifter Chevelles 

I guess that is enough 

Robert

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Bloom said:

Steve, your experience  with having a second go around with a certain model is educational. A couple cars I had previously and sold, I want to “do again”, but there are some specific lessons I learned from the first period of ownership that I will apply when I take another swing at that model....  to include:

mark 1 MGB

early Alfa Spider

55 tbird

chrome bumper shark

I had at least one of the above models and sold them, but would like to have the experience again with some of the wisdom I gained from the first time.   Steve, I’d be interested in hearing what you learned from your first model A experience that you factored into doing it again....  I don’t want to hijack Eric’s thread.....maybe the idea for a new one........  call it “the second time around”......maybe I should search, perhaps this was done before as a topic and already exists again. I am sure taking a second time around with a car you have previously owned is a game changer, your eyes are open to so many things you learned (sometimes painfully) from the first go around. 

I wish we were all sitting at a pub, coffee shop or someone’s backyard talking through these lists together. I am easily influenced by a persuasive argument by you guys talking about the reasons you love a certain make and model. 

You are not hacking the thread John, especially since it was a quote from your thread that directly led me to start this one. I too wish for the coffee shop or pub experience.  I suspect us guys and gals would be up late into the night. 

Edited by ericmac
Correction (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My list is always changing, see a car that catches my eye and that gets added to the list and anther drops down. 2 of the more recent ones added are an AMC Eagle SX/4 and a mid-80s Hurst Olds. A few new cars have taken some spots... Challenger Hellcat (or variant) or a newer Mustang convertible

The 3 constants have probably been a 1970 Plymouth Superbird, late 60s Corvair convertible, and a Viper.