Spring Carlisle SNOW!!

KRK Sr.

Yesterday rain at 10 AM then sunny with wind, today snow

145F6B63-8F00-400F-9410-29343CCC4877.jpeg

A679F4FD-C49E-4C64-A833-D6D153FCAAA5.jpeg

3F874D0A-50B8-41EB-838E-F688DFA049FD.jpeg

AACA volunteers waiting out the storm today. When the sun came out we were busy selling raffle tickets and getting new members thanks to everybody who put in the time this week. 

074AF0D9-A071-46AD-87A6-264B031D4DB7.jpeg

715155C4-BAC3-4A9B-A601-8D529E87CA18.jpeg

FDCAD37D-1A5C-445F-81E0-12C5590D79B7.jpeg

• Like 2

NOT the first time I have been here in SNOW at Carlisle -- but we had a full hour and a half of the flakes, and stuck to the grass for a while !!!! How crazy !!!!

Tomorrow, Friday, promises wind breaker weather, so as Bob Barker's Emcee Johnny used to say....

C'Mon Down.... You're the next contestant on The Price Is Right !!!!

(Here at I I 118 - 119 or Aye Aye 118 - 119 ---- Middle of the Infield, Row I , Spots 118 - 119)....Yours, Craig.....

• Like 3

I was there yesterday (Thursday) and it snowed like crazy in the morning. But like said thats pretty typical for Carlisle weather this time of year. Cleared up but was still pretty cold. Did anyone see or know if Hemmings had their tent set up?  I looked and looked and could not find them.  I could not find any used stuff for my car, but I did get to pick up a few large items from vendors that saved me a  bunch on shipping otherwise. Seemed like a good crowd. All in all I had a pretty good time. I try to get there at least every other year so the streak continues. Now looking forward to Hershey this fall.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Well, I sure hope they don't start spreading SALT on the roads with those vintage vehicles out and about!

Craig, I don't think you'll have to think about

salted roads.  Snow is pretty rare for southern

Pennsylvania in April, and if it happens, it quickly

melts.  About 10 miles away, there were flakes in

the air but they didn't even stick to the ground.

Hope there's a lot of good material for sale, and

bustling attendance to find it all!

• Like 1

I've been there when it was 85° and got sunburned, cold and rainy all week, snow on Thursday and 70 Friday, but it still beat being at work.

One year we left here it was 70 and sunny and forecast was good so we packed appropriately. Got there, forecast had changed and we ended up in Walmart buying hoodies and sweatshirts.

Another year the closer we got to PA, you could see snow on the mountains to the west. Got to Carlisle there was 5" snow on the ground. Next day, sunny and 70 and it was all gone by 10am. That was the year an OCA president, business manager and zone director (☺️) got caught absconding with straw bales off a Carlisle Productions gator to put down in the OCA Roadshow spaces. That rich Pennsylvania dirt made some of the squishiest mud I think I've ever seen...

If it all goes well we plan to be there for Fall show. I'm jonesing for some more old (pre-1975) US-made tools... Western Auto Wizard if they're there, and there usually are some...😃

A few years ago I was working in Shippensburg which is just west  of Carlisle. We had a measurable snow during the same time as the swap meet was going. Driving down the turnpike you could see the black clouds and snowing in the mountains to the north, sunny at Carlisle. Being right at the base of the range I think that plays a lot with the weather there. I too have been there with 70deg +.  Its always hit and miss.

Friday was absolutely beautiful and the place was packed. Unfortunately, few people appeared to be buying, but that's been the norm for a number of years now. Saturday is also supposed to be beautiful, but some vendors have already packed up and left. Go figure. We're here through Saturday evening.

I should add that Hemmings did not attend. Tri-City Plating also did not attend. And thanks for the welcome Steve.

People were not buying? I wish someone would have followed me home and helped me unload. The people I talked with were surprised at the amount of old iron mixed in with the post war stuff. The traffic coming off the Turnpike in the morning brought back memories of the 80’s. Of course, we’ve learned the little trucks to get around the traffic and the grounds were soon packed. I’d say the prognosis for Hershey is pretty good.

160D1FF2-053C-42CC-8781-94C563E6E4CB.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks like I made the photo... we stopped by the tent to say hi and bam.

We got here Wednesday it was windy and cool. Woke up Thursday it was 30F outside and overcast. 9am heading to field and flurries started to fall. Within 30 minutes full on snow. Snow dies off after and hour or so then the winds kicked in. Bbrrr was it cold. But people were out buying g and people were selling. Friday was 40F when we got up and windy. But wind died off fast and sun was out warmed up to 64F. A lot of buyers on the field and good amount of sellers. People were buying as not many were leaving empty handed. In fact while eating lunch we were watching people load up theirs trucks with treasures and going back for more. The carlisle taxis and parts runners were working non stop. 

Each night dies off about 430ish cars start rolling in around 730ish and they were packing in cars as people were coming in.

Today, Friday, was drop dead gorgeous here at Carlisle. ... And we all agreed that Carlisle hasn't been this well attended in 10 years !!!

As Joe P. pointed out, there were lots of buyers, but there were oodles of dog walkers without the dog ?!?! Why do they pay $ 10 to park and $12 through the gate to just wander around through the middle of the aisles and not even look left or right ???? It is truly mind boggling --- go the local park --- It is FREE !!!!

But for those who wanted to be here, it was Fantastic ....

And tomorrow, Saturday, will be similarly superb.... Get down here get up here, come enjoy the fresh air and an opportunity to regain your sanity !!!!

And at 9:00 A.M. when they halt all on site activities for the playing of our National Anthem, Everyone is standing at attention....

There is NO ONE Kneeling here !!!! See ya' in the A.M......

• Like 3

Have had a good week although not accustomed to huddling in our trailer around a propane heater! Parts sales were great Wednesday and Thursday despite the weather. Huge crowd today and much better weather but disappointing sales. Has been good all-in-all. Was great to be out at a swap meet for a few days.

I have to admit I only bought what was pre arranged through a supplier to avoid shipping. That and my 'impulse/field' buy was a radiator (also to save astronomical shipping costs). The used parts for second gen firebird/trans ams is always very slim. This time around, zero.  Corvette, tri5, and camaro different story. There was one guy, a buddy of mine that had a bunches of Pontiac stuff but he passed away a couple of months ago. Theres still in my opinion way too much flea market junk there but I guess if that wasnt the case the field would be half full. I used to travel the turnpike and yes there were sometimes that it was backed up quite a bit. Last couple of years I have gone with my buddy that lives south of there and we sneak in on the back roads. Piece of cake.

51 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

I wish we could get a cross the border! 

51 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Me too, would like to see my brother and sister n law this year!

A while ago, the forum unexpectedly erased 

everyone's location near the avatars.  It was 

probably due to a software upgrade.  Could

people please edit their profiles to indicate their

locations once again?  It would help us understand

comments such as the above.  (I recall Ed is on

the Canadian side.  I infer Ontario.)

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

A while ago, the forum unexpectedly erased 

everyone's location near the avatars.  It was 

probably due to a software upgrade.  Could

people please edit their profiles to indicate their

locations once again?  It would help us understand

comments such as the above.  (I recall Ed is on

the Canadian side.  I infer Ontario.)

Yes I'm in Ontario Canada. About an hour east of Port Huron Mich.