generator cutout

hwellens

I have never seen a cutout with 3 connections. One is marked Bat (center), one is S, and one is L. The L must go to the generator. It looks like the S remains hot like the battery connection?

P1040090.JPG

Edited by hwellens
add data (see edit history)

Some sniffing around on Google seems to indicate it might have something to do with farm tractors.  Very vague references to the third terminal being used for lighting.

Terry is on to something.  The voltage regulators for our 1955ish Massey Ferguson tractors have a specific terminal for lighting. At one time I knew the reason, but I am just slightly younger than those tractors and my memory misses once in a while  :).

Dunno about the terminals but the copper colored armature frame suggests it is a 'Positive' ground unit, the 'Negative' ground units would be cadmium plated.  The 'S' terminal might be for the 'Shunt' winding that is constant voltage from the generator and common to the voltage & current regulators.

Guys, The reason that cutout looks funny is because it is an old headlight relay. It was used to reduce the current through the factory headlight switch which via. the relay which now only handles the current through the relay coils.