Battery help

thadri

Hi all!

The battery in our ‘39 8 special is getting low, about 2 volts out of 6.  What is the best way to get it up to snuff and to keep it there?  

Thanks!

I have one of these that I keep hooked up to the battery when not in use.  

model CTEK UC 800 

Patented desulphation function
Unused batteries lose their power and their life is shortened through sulphation. It is also more difficult to charge sulfated batteries. The UC 800 has a patented method for reconditioning sulfated batteries. The charger analyzes the state of the battery and, if possible, recovers the battery and its power

charger.jpg

How old is the battery?  If it is over 5 years old, time to buy a new battery. 

If less than that, put a regular automatic battery charger on it and leave it for a week or so.  If it is good, it will come back. 

Be sure to do a load test on it.  If you do not have a load testing machine, you can take it to about any auto parts store and they can check it after you have left it on the charger for a while.

Hi, Oregon Desert. It's possible the CTEK UC 800 charger is out of production at this time. Don't know if it's a parts supply problem, or this model is discontinued. Couldn't find one for sale online....BUT, if you have a source that still has stock, please let us know. This looks like a nifty charger for 6v batteries. Thanks. John

Dang ! I didn't notice that model was discontinued.  Before buying this charger, my 6 volt car battery always had a very short life.  I have been using that charger for 2 years with no problems. 

There are several other manufacturers selling 6/12 volt chargers with desulphation function, but I won't recommend any that I have not tried myself.  

On 4/22/2021 at 7:26 AM, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

I have one of these that I keep hooked up to the battery when not in use.  

model CTEK UC 800 

Patented desulphation function
Unused batteries lose their power and their life is shortened through sulphation. It is also more difficult to charge sulfated batteries. The UC 800 has a patented method for reconditioning sulfated batteries. The charger analyzes the state of the battery and, if possible, recovers the battery and its power

charger.jpg

Like he said. Used this on my 1938 with 6 volt system and never an issue in 3 years on battery that was supplied with the car. Use a Bosch charger maintainer for both 12V cars with great results however found it too aggressive on 6volt, hence reverting back to the CTEK. 

Well worth the investment!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

I have none of the mentioned units, but I did look into both the Nocro and Black & Decker products. From what I see they both seem to be reasonable maintainers. The Norco seems to have better features and the desulfinate mode is a BIG plus. There are several models in each line with varying features, output and of course price. Read up on all of them and you can make an informed choice.

I agree with most everything said above........... with a few comments. 

* some of the newer electronic chargers will not charge a dead battery...... you need an old charger that had little or no smart electronics. 

* most maintainers will not charge a low battery...... they maintain a fully charged battery. 

* the new electronic maintainers are a great thing to have on an old car..... they will keep the car ready to drive.

* prices are all over the place for the electronic maintainers.... don't think the high priced ones are necessarily the best. .... just someone making more profit.  

After about 3 years of replacing the 6 volt battery in my '39 (i was not using a maintainer)  I went to a Optima battery and I loved the cranking amps.

With the Optima battery and a good maintainer,  you can probably get 5 years out of a battery.... possibly more. 

• Like 2

I use a Battery Tender 6 volt model and use it to restore the charge in my 53 Buick 6 volt battery after each use of the car.   I disconnect it once the green light comes on indicating it is fully charged.  For long term maintaining  the battery charge I use a Battery Tender hooked up to a garden variety lamp timer set to charge the battery for about 1 hour each day.   Many battery maintainers claim you can leave the maintainer connected to the battery and it will maintain the charge.  In my experience I found that you cannot trust a maintainer or charger connected as it will eventually cook off the electrolyte in the cells.

The best  6 volt long style battery I have found for Buicks is the one sold in Tractor Supply.  It is rated at 875 CCA and beats all the others including the reproduction Delco type units.

Joe

Group 3EH.  Group 2E was OEM on my 1949 Super. It is still available, but is expensive and only has 620 CCA. Group 3EH is slightly larger, but still fits the battery tray. It is less expensive than the Group 2E and has 875 CCA.

• Like 1