Query re wiring for 1956 accelerator vacuum switch on carb

56 Buick

Hi all

Hoping someone can assist with the routing of the wiring going/coming from the accelerator vacuum switch that sits on the side of the carb.

On my car the 2 wires connected to the accelerator vacuum switch both run to the ballast resistor on the firewall of the car which doesn't make sense to me given the below wiring diagram for the 56.

If anyone can tell me where the wiring off the accelerator vacuum switch in their car is going that will likely assist me figuring out what is going on.

Thanks

Drew

Image preview

The manual shows a clear routing for the switch.  It shows that one wire comes from the #4 terminal on the Neutral Safety Switch.  And the other side goes to the #4 terminal on the starter relay.   The diagram is on page 10-38 of the 1956 Service Manual.  And that same diagram shows that there should not be any connection to the ballast resistor.  I wil try to post a picture of the diagram.

20210421_113208.jpg

• Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, 56 Buick said:

Thanks John, that is the same picture I tried but apparently failed to put in my post. And it is the picture that has led to my confusion given my car has both wires going to the ballast resistor.

Believe the diagram.  The wires to/from the ballast resistor are :  one from the ignition switch , the other to the coil.  NOTHING to do with the starting circuit.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1