1970 buick Riviera

I bought a 1970 buick Riviera and it ran well after I first started it after a while the engine started knocking then two days later no more power to the car. I can't figure out what it is any help? The battery is good. The alternator works and gets power. Every time I put in the key and turn it once the generator and oil light don't turn on anymore or even hear anything try except windows are the only thing that still run

On 4/20/2021 at 10:32 PM, Tacoguy4 said:

Every time I put in the key and turn it once the generator and oil light don't turn on anymore

There is a fuseable-link on the starter solenoid that feeds the rest of the car. Does anything come on?

Were you running the highest octane fuel available in your area? 1970 was 10:1 compression. Only year. Needs the HIGHEST octane you can find. Running low octane will cause spark knock, followed by ring/piston damage. Then it can be rebuilt with 8.5:1 pistons....... 🤬

• Like 1

You need a 1970 Buick factory shop manual for wiring diagrams, and it will also cover all other service procedures for your car. Important for you and for anyone you may hire to do repair work on it. 50 years later there are few if any mechanics working today who were around when these cars were new.

I'm wondering if the knock is starter or flexplate related since it also seems to have taken out some of the electrical system, and IIRC Buick routed their fusible links at the starter. 

The car's gonna have to go on a lift to see what's going on under the car. In meantime check battery cables and connections at both ends.

But you need that wiring diagram. A Riviera is complex electrically and neither you nor anyone else needs to go into this blindly.