Best Gremlin in the World?

Well no,  that would be a real Randell Gremlin.

But this one is pretty nice!

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0521-461547/1972-amc-gremlin-x/

• Rare Gremlin X
  • 39,016 actual miles
  • Factory 2-barrel car upgraded with a 4-barrel carburetor
  • Air conditioning added
  • Unrestored
  • Owner's manual
  • Buyer's protection plan binder
  • Owner identification card from AMC
  • Window sticker
  • Build sheet
  • Extensive paperwork

The very rapid transition of the American car buyer toward smaller, subcompact vehicles took America’s auto manufacturers by storm, and American Motors was ready with the Gremlin. This example from 1972 is the sportier Gremlin X release; it’s an unrestored V-8 car, and it shows 39,016 actual miles.

The first Gremlin arrived at dealers in the early spring of 1970 following several years of development. AMC designers Dick Teague and Bob Nixon were responsible for the look, which was a kammback tail attached to the compact Hornet platform. Built for eight years, the Gremlin was marketed as "cute and different," with a unique cartoon character as part of the sales promotions. The car’s versatile hatchback design proved to be a popular car with younger, first-time buyers, and it fit the marketplace well as a visually different alternative to the Vega, Pinto and assorted imports making headway in the America’s new car sales. What this rare car gets more attention is thanks to the X package. In its second year of availability, the X meant upscale trim like the body-side tape stripes, body-color front fascia, road wheels with good tires, a blackout grille insert and the "X" decal package.

Under the hood of this Gremlin is the biggest engine offered, the 5.0L (304 CI) AMC V-8 powerplant, which has been upgraded to a 4-barrel carburetor and has had air conditioning added as well. This is backed by the Torque-Command automatic transmission. The outside is green with white graphics, while inside is done in tan and brown. This car has bucket seats, a horseshoe-design floor shifter, chrome pedal trim, brushed-metal dash facing, in-dash clock, AM/FM radio, driver’s remote mirror and a sport steering wheel. The Space-Saver spare tire is still in the hatched rear area. It’s completed by the roof rack with a chrome rear wing, the 5-spoke 14-inch road wheels now hosting BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires, and chrome rocker and exhaust accents. The provenance with this car is extensive and will include the factory owner's manual, buyer's protection plan binder, owner identification card from AMC, window sticker and build sheet. Relive the ‘70s in style—Gremlin X.

GremlinX.jpg

• Like 2

Owning the "Best Gremlin in the World" would be the equivalent to making it into the Guinness Book of World records for having the world's largest carbuncle.

It may indeed be unique, but do you really want to share it with everyone?

I always preferred the chopped-off rear end styling of the Gremlin to the Pinto or the Vega - however, my sister's '70 Gremlin was not a car that I liked very much.  The seats seemed to have little padding, and they were firm to the point of wearing your butt out after a while.  The front passenger floorboard would become uncomfortably warm in all but the coldest weather.  The factory transmission shifter locked up, and had to be replaced.  It had some of the slowest vacuum windshield wipers known to man.

But, the inline 6-cylinder hooked up to a three speed manual delivered decent performance.  Factory A/C worked well.  It was a nice driving and handling little car, although it rode like a log wagon. 

I had a green ‘71 Base model I bought new in ‘71. It was the worst car I have ever owned. Mine had the 232 6 with a 3 speed manual. It came from the factory without synchro in first. I second the comment on the vacuum wipers. Seats were abysmal and quality was not present. An example was how the rear Hatch window was held on with 4 spot welds chrome welded to chrome. If the door was closed hard without rolling down a window, the welds would break and render the hatch inoperative. No one would reweld it because the heat would cause the glass to shatter. 

The shifter would often jam and the only resolution was to crawl under the car and move it back into the last gear used. Granted mine was a base model car and maybe an X had higher quality but My experience was so bad, I have no nostalgia to try again and this was my first new car.

22 minutes ago, alsancle said:

My best friends mom had a green one.   Were they all just 2 passenger,  or did some have a small back seat?

My sister's '70 was a base model, and it did have a tiny back seat.  Not really useable for any reasonably sized adult, it was better suited for a couple of small bags of groceries or the like.

I had forgotten about the non-synchro low gear in that car.  Sheesh!

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

I guess a Gremlin is really a down market AMX.   But the idea of a 304 stick car is king of interesting.

The Gremlin to have is a Randell.  But they are made of unobtainium.

1972-AMC-Gremlin-401-XR-ad.jpg

I wonder how tall she is? 5' even tops?

6 hours ago, ol' yeller said:

I had a green ‘71 Base model I bought new in ‘71. It was the worst car I have ever owned. Mine had the 232 6 with a 3 speed manual. It came from the factory without synchro in first. I second the comment on the vacuum wipers. Seats were abysmal and quality was not present. An example was how the rear Hatch window was held on with 4 spot welds chrome welded to chrome. If the door was closed hard without rolling down a window, the welds would break and render the hatch inoperative. No one would reweld it because the heat would cause the glass to shatter. 

The shifter would often jam and the only resolution was to crawl under the car and move it back into the last gear used. Granted mine was a base model car and maybe an X had higher quality but My experience was so bad, I have no nostalgia to try again and this was my first new car.

So really, how did you like the car?  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...