Freight Broker

g-g-g0

Anyone had any experience with a freight broker? I need to ship a fairly large/heavy pallet from northern Indiana to the Spokane, Washington area. Trying to deal directly with a LTL carrier without an account with them is absolutely ridiculous!

Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences/recommendations?

Thanks,

Gary

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Is this the kind of thing that guys use "Fastenal" for?

Yes, however there was a recent posting that Fastenal had discontinued this service due to Covid restrictions. You might want to check if this service has been reinstated.   Maybe one of those small guys that move loads around the country might be interested.  There was a “reality” TV show about them and how they bid against each other to get the job. I can’t seem to recall what it was called.

Fastenal’s web site says they are not offering the service from the Eastern 60% of the US to the Western 40% (my estimate based on viewing the map) and visa versa due to COVID. I will give them a call but had previously inquired and advised they had halted this service. I have reached out to a couple of the small guys that moves cars and parts but have not located anyone headed that direction yet. Still have a couple more to contact. My question relates more to the major carriers, like ABF, YRC, Estes, etc. 

Appreciate any thoughts.

"Shipping Wars" This is what I found when I Googled the subject:

When Shipping Wars was canceled after seven seasons in 2015, it became apparent that many of the shipping companies had been propped up by the show. ... After the show ended, most of the companies featured on Shipping Wars ended up going out of business.Mar 30, 2021

YRC Freight has terminals in South Bend and Fort Wayne, IN and also in Spokane.  If you can haul your pallet to one of their terminals, they'll take it to another of their terminals pretty cheaply.  They will use their forklift truck to take it from your truck or trailer, but won't pull or push your pallet by hand because of the risk of injury to their people.  Same on the other end.  Be sure to declare the load as "used auto parts" for the best rates.  It's even cheaper if the pallet is boxed over so they can stack other things on top. 

I have a YRC (Yellow-Roadway) freight terminal fairly close to me in VA and have used them a lot. They are careful and will drive the forklift out and put it in your trailer or truck like you said. One thing though, keep that box or pallet as small as possible. They charge by weight but also factor in the cubic size. I made the mistake of shipping a set of wooden stairs by them one time. It used up so much of their truck and cost me out the.....

I have never shipped with ABF but have picked stuff up there for customers. From the receiving end everything was pretty easy. 

The 'shipping wars' thing was run through  'Ushipdot com'.  I have never used them but my belief is that you can list what you want shipped and shippers will be in touch with you to move the goods. I think a lot of 'hot shot'(big trucks that arent quite as  big as a semi) guys are on there looking to fill in loads.

I palletized and shipped a rear end half way across the country, the 'buyer' organized the shipping and he used fed ex freight. We loaded from a commercial address which saved on cost.

I used a company called Freightera with HQ in Vancouver BC. to move a large fender from Ontario to Vancouver Island. They got me 2 quotes - terminal to terminal and residence to residence.  The cheapest was terminal to terminal with an LTL shipper but the consignee was willing to pay extra for residence to residence. As a novice shipper   I found them great to work with and they do a lot of work in the US.  Spent the better part of 2 days building a crate out of scrap lumber to protect the fender. It arrived promptly in pristine condition. 

I did a lot of shopping for rates and had quotes ranging from $1225 down to $290 so spend a bit of time on that.

Good luck!

• Like 1