Stuff is still out there -

There we were-in the biggest antique mall around while attending the recent AACA event in Charlotte NC.  We had a few hours following the Friday judging school to wander around.  We ran into Tom Cox who already had his arms full of stuff, and Jim Elliott and Donna, who were smiling like Cheshire cats while clutching their purchases tightly.   Shortly after that, I must have rounded a corner they missed - in plain sight in a display case was this great Boyce Motometer on a dog-bone radiator cap.  $45.00 with the price tag hanging in clear view.   This is the second nice one I've purchased recently in an antique shop for what seems like 20 year old prices.   It's the occasional discovery like that that keeps me going. 

Terry

Boyce motometer 1.jpg

Boyce motometer 2.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Lucky guy!  It’s amazing that stuff is showing up and especially at a price like that!  Gives hope to the rest of us.

Yes, that's the reason I posted this little discovery. There is hope for future treasure hunting. While we've been shut in limited to paying sometimes absurd prices (or gagging on them) on evil bay, traditional antique shops have quietly been trying to find stuff to sell. Weve given them an entire year to restock.  Lets hit the trail again, American Pickers doesn't get everything!!!

Terry

• Like 1

I've seen some interesting automotive items in antique malls in the past but they always seemed ridiculously overpriced. I liked going just to see the interesting stuff that was there. I stopped going after a while because seeing the prices in general were ruining the entire experience.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bleach said:

I've seen some interesting automotive items in antique malls in the past but they always seemed ridiculously overpriced. I liked going just to see the interesting stuff that was there. I stopped going after a while because seeing the prices in general were ruining the entire experience.

Agree-just like evil-bay, some sellers have a completely warped idea of what something might be worth.  In some cases, it amounts to pure greed and represents nothing more than asking a stupid amount and hoping someone will pay it.  Still though, they need to sell to survive (or at least pay the rent) and I've often been surprised at what a little conversation and a realistic offer might produce.  

I have a few "favorite" shops that I'll stop at when traveling too.  One in particular is a "real"antique shop owned by a young couple who buy privately from estates and occasionally at auction.  They know what they are doing and for most items they offer, there is a simple percentage markup on the items.  It's a pleasure to do business with them.

For most mall vendors, they are merely opportunists who have yet to learn you can only sell your good stuff once.

Terry

• Like 1

I never saw the actual sellers in this one mall I used to visit in Carson, CA. You would visit the main desk and let them know what item you wanted and they would handle the transaction. Basically you paid what was on the price tag and there was no haggling like in the nearby swap meet.

I found Memory Lanes Antique Mall on a search it's still there after nearly 25 year since I was last there.

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Bleach said:

I never saw the actual sellers in this one mall I used to visit in Carson, CA. You would visit the main desk and let them know what item you wanted and they would handle the transaction. Basically you paid what was on the price tag and there was no haggling like in the nearby swap meet.

I found Memory Lanes Antique Mall on a search it's still there after nearly 25 year since I was last there.

Don’t be shy to ask if any discount can be had.  At many co-ops here in eastern PA there is a discount of XX% for purchases over $ZZ dollars.  Depends on mall policy for larger discount by contacting seller for “best price”.

• Like 2

I agree with Terry but the “Stuff” is diminishing. Pulled out of Pate early today because of the weather and stopped at four of my long time favorite antique shops. Three of the four had closed because of Covid. Number four was able to stay open because of robust evilbay sales. The owner stated that he didn’t think the in store buyers were ever coming back. On a lighter note a couple of Pate photos. 

74834B0B-C34C-4E1C-A1A4-E893B4960B91.jpeg

CE4F0F8B-B0CC-4614-B208-9B48C356E660.jpeg

2086ABDE-B33C-412D-9E3D-543A8206C5DF.jpeg

At shop number four I did find this great four color Galle lamp. Trying to decide where to put it 

F16F2619-DB9C-4620-AF4F-21D60961D136.jpeg

• Like 3