1928 Chrysler Model 72 Tire Size 600 - 18 Availability? 600/650 - 18? 650 - 18?

leomara

This tire size was on my car, Goodyear's and fairly petrified from age.  It appears this size is currently unavailable and 600/650 - 18 or 650 - 18 is.  Will that work or am I going to create future problems?   

Edited by leomara
More info (see edit history)

• leomara changed the title to 1928 Chrysler Model 72 Tire Size 600 - 18 Availability? 600/650 - 18? 650 - 18?

Blockley Tyres has 600/650-18 listed for $308. This is an extremely high quality tire with a speed rating for 130 mph. That should be a huge margin of safety for you. Their tubes are also highly regarded. Please let us know what you decide.    -    Carl 

Here's a photo of the Coker Stahl Sport radial, made to look like a bias ply tire, in 6.00/6.50-18 size.  I had them mounted on drop center rims (no separate lock ring) with rim bands for the spokes and tubes with metal stems.  The tires are good quality, should not cause future problems for you.

559904230_frontwheeloncar(sm).jpg.7d7dc08aee66b0dd584cdc8408acd3a0.jpg  

On 4/20/2021 at 12:29 PM, leomara said:

This tire size was on my car, Goodyear's and fairly petrified from age.  It appears this size is currently unavailable and 600/650 - 18 or 650 - 18 is.  Will that work or am I going to create future problems?   

Ok, your car has 600-18 Goodyear bias ply tires on it now, correct?  You are asking if current manufactured tires marked 600/650-18 OR 650-18 can be used as a replacement.  These new tires are of radial construction from the replies received so far.  The information YOU need to provide to expand your initial question is the overall height of your existing tires from floor to top of tire as well as the tread width of the existing tire.  Another related question would be if the bead construction of the new tires will be compatible with the rim of your Chrysler.  Sometimes you just need to explain in more detail the enlightenment you are seeking.  

• Like 2

Hey TerryB, you make some good points.  The only reason I did not investigate this more is the 600 X 18 tires I removed are ancient and had red inner tubes indicating to me they were replaced pre or post WWII.  It never occurred to me that they may have been the wrong size or that new replacements may be of significantly different sizes.  I also believe there are bias ply tires available if I don't want to go radial.

• Like 1