I caved and bought a 72 Riviera

Smartin

This was a local club member’s (Ed Keil) car that he owned since 1985.  Unfortunately, we lost Ed not too long ago, and his family looked to the members to sell the car.  I went and checked it out yesterday and made the deal.  

It’s a really solid original car. Lots of options!  Power windows and locks, 60/40 power bench seats, rear defog, AC, AM FM radio that actually works!, trip meter, speed alert, clock, and I’m sure I’m missing a couple other oddballs.

The only real bummer is the hail damage.  It was a victim of a pretty infamous local hail storm in 2001, that my 71 LeSabre was also hit with.  This one has smaller dents, but more in quantity.  I have a PDR guy coming this week to assess the work, and possibly start on getting some of them out.  If I can make the majority of the dents go bye bye, then this will be a real cream puff.  It is better than it looks in the pics....and I drove it home about 50 minutes, and I pushed it hard.  Performed flawlessly.

It needs tires incredibly badly.  I’m surprised I made it home on them.  Heater core is toast.   The trunk lip trim is in a pile of parts that came with the car, along with a ton of NOS weatherstripping and a full set of chrome wheels. 

Regardless of the hail and tires, this is a complete 180 from that 62 Electra that nearly made me send it to the crusher.  

007A258A-A2A5-4CBE-BF3A-04056387E7BD.jpeg

7F7B7D4C-D0B3-41C2-A90A-DA54A19204ED.jpeg

965A4FD1-B3C1-4C45-929F-4AD25668732C.jpeg

F1E23337-A573-4134-8A97-E5BAA7433EFF.jpeg

6689780D-F61E-4FF6-B28D-CC84B6D0AA20.jpeg

6C749772-015A-4F11-BAF2-49F2BCD15F12.jpeg

779182D5-E40C-44CF-BBA1-0E24CC26C108.jpeg

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

That was way easier than I remember it being.  Maybe it's because the last one I did in one of these was outside in 20 degree temps.

FYI this car is going on the market soon.  It may look like I am flipping it, but by now everyone should know that I can't seem to hold onto any car for an extended amount of time.  It seems to get worse as I get older!  I believe the 57 Roadmaster coupe I bought will be leaving, too.  I have my eye on a running and driving car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How did you find the replacement core?  the one I replaced on the Electra had larger tanks so the factory retaining clips would not fit over them.

Too bad you are letting another one go, but one day you'll find the right car!  I recall that 2-dr 71 Centurion Formal Coupe was a very nice car... any regrets on selling that one?

I absolutely regret selling it.  But I think the thrill for me at this point is just to own it an experience it....then it's on to the next one.  I also get a kick out of fixing the problems and breathing new life into them!

Heater core is aluminum and it came from Rock Auto.  Fit like a glove.

• Like 1