Jump to content

Vintage Buick (1938 coupe) - $18,000 (West Covina)


Recommended Posts

bu1.jpg.bcfff9d6bc13c7673f68cc208b98bc01.jpgbu2.jpg.f108c248ecc431008a017a9a95b49cb5.jpgbu3.jpg.3957a23a127346b79c29658a0978b260.jpgbu4.jpg.a9d15c5fe03e8dca38ea7de8a6d96f7a.jpgbu6.jpg.81c721c1d1cda5ee300d8900918c5912.jpgbu7.jpg.c0575958deb4802bbfa9368acf0ff5c5.jpg

 

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/west-covina-vintage-buick/7308437775.html

1938 buick special coupe, straight 8 runs, good brakes solid car for a 38. Interior is in great shape, jump seats in back. Has all trim, no cracks on glass all roll up. Newer gas tank, newer wide white tires (Coker). Og woodgrain dash, will make a great custom, og bomb, just leave stock. Asking $18,000 Obo.

Ron (951) 642-4158

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good-looking car, but weak ad.

Leaving it on the lift for the photos doesn't inspire confidence, either.

If running boards and tires (despite what the seller describes as "newer..Cokers") are all it needs for the time being, asking $18K isn't too far out of line.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the GM coupes from the late 30's and I ran across this one over the weekend.  This car is 25 minutes from me and I thought to go kick tires and see if I would consider buying it.  Well the ad was not compelling and it is a special.  However to its merit I believe this a 46S and not the standard business coupe.  I had a '39 Buick coupe and it was a 46S boy was it a blast to drive.

 

Seller is asking 18 grand which is a bit steep!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

46S is the Sport Coupe Special. Four passenger car with a full back seat. 56S is the Sport Coupe. 66S is the Sport Coupe Century. Five passenger car. 76S is the Roadmaster with a full back seat. The 56 was introduced in 1940.

Edited by kingrudy
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kingrudy said:

46S is the Sport Coupe Special. Four passenger car with a full back seat. 56S is the Sport Coupe. 66S is the Sport Coupe Century. Five passenger car. 76S is the Roadmaster with a full back seat. The 56 was introduced in 1940.

I thought that coupes were only available in the 40 and 50 series. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 66S (Banker's Hot Rod) was a low production car. 320 Cu in engine and a full back seat. 1940 production number was 96 autos. The 76S Full size Roadmaster with 320 cu in engine was also a low production car, 3,921. According to Standard Catalog of Buick. I am only citing 1940 production to keep this brief. 

Edited by kingrudy
Clarity (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Model 46 was a "business coupe" and it had a storage area with shelves just behind the rear seats.  The pictures show this vehicle has jump seats in behind the front seats which makes this a model a 46S.  Those type of seat were cool be the seat bottom was hinged from the panel just beneath the rear quarter window.  When the seat were hinged down and the seat bottom was out you could sit on it.  Hinge it up back into the side panel and you had all that space.  Pretty cool, ha.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2021 at 8:18 AM, kingrudy said:

The 66S (Banker's Hot Rod) was a low production car. 320 Cu in engine and a full back seat. 1940 production number was 96 autos. The 76S Full size Roadmaster with 320 cu in engine was also a low production car, 3,921. According to Standard Catalog of Buick. I am only citing 1940 production to keep this brief. 

I was referring to 1938 models, as that's what the car is at the beginning of this thread. I'm sorry to quibble, but '40s had evolved on some from '37 and '38s.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I was referring to 1938 models, as that's what the car is at the beginning of this thread. I'm sorry to quibble, but '40s had evolved on some from '37 and '38s.

Sorry for the misinformation. In 1938 there were 1,991 of the 66S produced, this was a 4 passenger coupe. There were no Roadmaster coupes that year. Also, the 56s was not produced until 1940, the first year for the Super. 

Edited by kingrudy
Clarity (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...