WTT - '29- 30's 6 volt coil Delco

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, mobileparts said:

Hershey is around the corner, for you, luckily, Hope you are planning to attend....

Your best bet to find one....if you are still searching....

I live in Europe, this is not possible in the current Covid-19 situation.☹️

On 4/20/2021 at 3:04 AM, ArticiferTom said:

Looking to trade this NOS delco coil for later 31-32 coil of 5/8" depth from contact to top rim . Mine is 7/8" for earlier key interface .

1931 and 1932 coils were different. What model and year Chrysler do you have?

1931 used 1835839

1932 used 1843129

IMG_E4732.JPG

9 hours ago, Peter R. said:

1931 and 1932 coils were different. What model and year Chrysler do you have?

1931 used 1835839

1932 used 1843129

My car is 1925 Chrysler four ( 58) touring, built in September 1925. I found out according to FEDCO.

IMG_E4732.JPG

Edited by marbeton (see edit history)

1 hour ago, ArticiferTom said:

It 's unfortunate that they did not put number on them . Would like to know what one I have , to trade .

In the Chrysler Master Parts List is like an ignition coil position for type F, Part No.37914, 
but there is no manufacturer of that coil, so I don't know what is right for my car.

20 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

The 1931 ,1835839 is one , it looks like . Have a truck Model uF-10 with 196 ci  4cyl.  pa engine

1931-32 Plymouth PA engines used 1835839 coils. The one I have is a 1843129. My other coils have one terminal on the coil top and one at the bottom. Sorry I can't help.

IMG_E4743.JPG

IMG_E4744.JPG

7 hours ago, marbeton said:

In the Chrysler Master Parts List is like an ignition coil position for type F, Part No.37914, but there is no manufacturer of that coil, so I don't know what is right for my car.

Richard,

Your Chrysler was factory equipped with a Remy # 284-P coil. As a replacement Remy offered a universal coil # 284-K. It came with a number of different brackets and replaced most early Remy coils. Check your coil, the part number should be stamed onto the coil housing (e.g. 284-P).

IMG_E4739.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Peter R. said:

Richard,

Your Chrysler was factory equipped with a Remy # 284-P coil. As a replacement Remy offered a universal coil # 284-K. It came with a number of different brackets and replaced most early Remy coils. Check your coil, the part number should be stamed onto the coil housing (e.g. 284-P).

IMG_E4739.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

Peter,

thanks for the information I didn´t have. They helped me a lot. I found out that  my car had a Brown&Caine coil, but it was the same as the original in your picture. Unfortunately, it is now non-functional, so for now I have modern replacement, which I redesigned  into an old design.

cvhv_03f.jpg

IMG_0803.JPG

Brown & Caine was an after market coil manufacturer who made replacement coils for Remy, Delco and others. I have a Brown & Caine application chart somewhere. Be careful when you buy old Remy coils. Some of them have built-in condensers. They may have worked back in the days but today they are bad.

I think I have some old Remy and B & C coils in stock. Let me check.....

10 hours ago, Peter R. said:

Brown & Caine was an after market coil manufacturer who made replacement coils for Remy, Delco and others. I have a Brown & Caine application chart somewhere. Be careful when you buy old Remy coils. Some of them have built-in condensers. They may have worked back in the days but today they are bad.

I think I have some old Remy and B & C coils in stock. Let me check.....

So this was probably my problem. When I disassembled the malfunctioning B&C coil, 
there was a condenser.
I will probably need a coil 284-P without a condenser.Your catalogs are perfect. 
They helped me a lot. In the Czech Republic, there is not much opportunity to get 
something like this, or find out about old American cars.Thank you for help.

Here are some of the early coils that I have. Most are used, some are NOS.

Feel free to contact me if you need anything in the future. I'm into old car electric and carburetors and have tons of parts for old cars from the teens ito the 1960's, for American and European cars......so I might have parts for Tatra and Praga as well.... 😉

IMG_E4756.JPG

IMG_E4757.JPG

Interesting thread. In the past 5 years, I am experiencing old coil failure at rates twenty times of the days gone bye. So much so, I will no longer use any old coils. They just seem to be timing out. It's probably worth the effort to secure a few modern units, and go through the pain of making them install and look correctly. Doing a few is easier than just one...........

51 minutes ago, Peter R. said:

There are only two 284-S and a 287-A. Sorry, I can't help you with a 284-P.

I suggest you keep your old coil and have it rewound.

Yes, I will. I have it carefully disassembled, so it probably shouldn't be a problem
to put it back together, but without that capacitor. It's already in the manifold.

18 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Interesting thread. In the past 5 years, I am experiencing old coil failure at rates twenty times of the days gone bye. So much so, I will no longer use any old coils. They just seem to be timing out. It's probably worth the effort to secure a few modern units, and go through the pain of making them install and look correctly. Doing a few is easier than just one...........

Yes, you're right, but if I want to have the car in its original and original condition, 
as it went out of production, it's better to risk the original part, even if there will be problems.

2 minutes ago, marbeton said:
Yes, you're right, but if I want to have the car in its original and original condition, 
as it went out of production, it's better to risk the original part, even if there will be problems.

Understood.......and I agree that having the correct look IS important. Then you need to find someone to rewind the coil.......NOT EASY!

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Understood.......and I agree that having the correct look IS important. Then you need to find someone to rewind the coil.......NOT EASY!

That's actually why I'm gathering old coils. Not primarily for using them but to have samples. A good number of coils on cars of the teens and twenties are part of an assembly. They're attached to starter-generators or distributors as integral parts of a unit. We already did wind coils and there are plans to keep doing it in the future.....of another life maybe.

IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1140.JPG

Following off Ed's theory .  And not finding one so easily . I made the below pic adapter to use my key bezel /trim in the dash with modern switch currently in it . With coil modern coil on inside cowl . The adapter replaced coil mount three hole to press trim in plate and give adjustable plate to mount key switch in 3/4" hole . Only need to repaint dash to hide previous plate with hole they drilled .

20210812_195047.jpg.ced00a57e3520c3bd90217f90d780477.jpg20210813_152042.jpg.6acb3c4a2b3b4dd5d2459f9d746d5dff.jpg20210818_110330.jpg.03c6931cdf5dd582bf9b768f08900a6f.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Acticiter Tom. I have a similar setup in my 28 DB Senior but is made by North West Electric

I replaced mine because I do  not trust  such old parts. I used a new Delco. I wired one wire down the side and into the old terminal block . Every things worked like original. Bolted in the frame and the 2 long bolts. Same old key. I do not have a picture . It is installed and working.

Cheers.

Harry, Near Toronto, Canada