Chevrolet Trailer - what era?

Back in the 1970s my dad bought a Ford trailer of similar construction, was built on an old pickup frame and rear with a similar wood body.

I've seen quite a few trailers made from pickups - just cut the box off behind the cab, weld up a hitch and you're good to go.  Some even had racks, although usually not as elaborate as the OP - that one looks well-built.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Hey Pete,

Is your friend interested in selling this trailer?

Thanks, Greg

Yes. Its in CA.  I'll private message you.

• Like 1

Take a look at the axle, if it has steering king pins it is off the front of a car, if it has a diff it is off the back, a purpose built trailer will have a straight axle with neither.

So,

A solid beam front axle (no pumpkin or torque tube which would be a rear axle),

possibly from a Chevy?

Not a factory unit,

and most assuredly not out of Flint as a Chevrolet product or accessory, at least in my experionce or opinion.

But most likely Home-Built from junked/junkyard parts,

maybe even using a chassis segment from a Chevy

I have seen trailers built from an axle and torque tube, complete minus the actual drive shaft or ring and pinion,

and more recently, from a pickup chassis and rear axle, preferrably without the pinion gear-

quite a few used to transport "stuff" to Hershey.

There is one in my back yard right now...it belongs to a friend. He made it out of my old Ford pickup and he used the front axle. To keep the wheels straight he welded the knuckles to the axle...so it's not a unique idea - just evidence that whoever built it put some thought into it,

That type of front brake system was only used on two years of Chevrolet - 1928, and 1929. 1930 went to a cable type system in the front.  The springs if original to the axle look like 1 ton springs which would make it 1928. Art 

• Like 3

Dad 'loaned' me out to a stone mason one summer to act as his laborer. Around 1978/79. Guy had a beat up old truck and to make his cement mixer roadworthy he put a model A axle onto it. One day on our way home from work the mixer got a flat tire. He obviously didnt have a spare so we drove the 10-15 miles home with one tire, one rim. The guy went home, took a torch and cut off the axle, grabbed another out of his pile and welded that to the mixer. Tire fixed!

9 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Dad 'loaned' me out one summer...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that happened to.🤨

Like 18 acres of tobacco, 5 acres of melons, plus a big vegetable garden and nearly 3 acres of lawn wasn't enough. He loaned me out to his brother and Mama loaned me out to her uncle to work their tobacco fields with no pay. 

Is it any wonder I hate tobacco farming to this day?

• Like 1

Is there evidence (e.g. catalogs, magazines ads) that Chevrolet actually made trailers back in the day?  Just curious.