1956 Buick resistors.

ghaskett

My '56 has two engine well resistors. One is a pretty standard looking resistor for the coil.
The other is a larger version and it is for the heater blower motor. On the back side there is a wire coil and within that coil is a white substance (like a chunk of coral) that is broken in two or three spots. 
My question: Can I replace that resistor with a standard size resistor, or do I need to find an exact duplicate?
Thanks.

@ghaskett,  Please post a picture of the broken resister, both sides. Your description is throwing me a bit (it happens with age).  If the heater blower speeds work ok the broken ceramic is not a problem. Many large power resistors of the past were wound on ceramic cores so they could handle the heat generated. Unfortunately, ceramic is somewhat fragile. Not like glass or crystal, but still breakable. The good thing is that the ceramic is only for holding the resistance element. It has no electrical properties except insulation. There are newer resistors that could replace the one you have, but you will need some data to calculate what is needed.

• Like 1

Resistance value isn’t enough. You need something that can handle the wattage requirements. 

As noted above, the ceramic is not critical as long as the conductor inside is intact. It is also a heat sink to help the conductor stay solid (not liquid), so if chunks are missing, it’s functional time may be limited. 

Here's the resistor. It's a Delco-Remy 1933547  1.25 ohms.  This is the one attached to the plenium and is for the heater blower motor. Tried to cross reference with no luck.  It's listed as obsolete. No kidding? 
There are two small ceramic chunks inside the coiled wire. I

DSCF4795.JPG

DSCF4796.JPG