Automotive Tool. What does it do?

It was a valve tool that someone modified into a duck-bill clamp. It still has the u for the spring retainer but should not have anything but two fingers on the other side. Those fingers usually have a screw so that they can be adjusted to clamp snug to the lifter.

Both of the tools here look factory made. 

Look at the "Blades"; exact same bevel at the outer tips, same 45 degree clipped inner corners, same small hole in each blade, the welds look too good/uniform, and Dave's tool seems to have the same plated finish on his blades as the rest of the tool. 

I have all of my Dads old valve tools from his 1950s auto repair shop and he didn't have this tool, and I have never seen these at a antique swapmeet.  no clue.

I'd say the wedged ends makes them appear to be more of a spreader tool rather than a compressor.

Is the tool fully open in your pic Dave?

How far apart are the ends when fully open?

Cheers, Greg

33 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

I'd say the wedged ends makes them appear to be more of a spreader tool rather than a compressor.

Cheers, Greg

I agree . It could be to spread brake caliper pistons , or several used to lift a cylinder head.

It looks factory made , but it is a modified valve lifter.

The edges are ground to a sharp taper to wedge under something.

• Thanks 1

I'll go with its being a spreader.

Note on the second one, one of the arms of the rotating piece is broken off, probably from that end's being hit with a hammer to have the tapered edges get a bite into something like the area between a cylinder head and block. Or, the arms themselves being hit for extra force to break a seal.

A bolt through the two holes with two nuts between the blades, rotated, would give additional spreading force.

I have a ton of valve lifting tools. Without the fork style end to get the keepers out it won't work for valves. I don't believe it is a home modified tool. There is one on eBay for sale and the seller has no idea what it does either? Three home brewed the exact same way with the same plating and the same tool number is highly unlikely. 30 Dodge panels photo is opened as far as it will go. One lever and flat is welded to a fork like a valve spring tool would have, the other is not welded to a fork. There is some slight wear like a pin or washer of sorts fit into the hole on the flat with the fork. If none here has a definite answer this may take some more detective work. Dandy Dave!

• Like 1
On 4/17/2021 at 11:11 AM, GregLaR said:

Cheers, Greg

I agree that it is a spreader rather than a compressor.  The only possible use I can see for it is being inserted between the cam follower and valve tip to lift the valve to its maximum on side valve engines.  With the head removed this would enable de-carbonising of the valve and port without removing the valve.  Probably just as easy to remove the valve and that is why these tools are not that common.  Just my thought on what it was used for.

• Like 2