Two Franklin Barn Finds - Real Barn - Interesting bodies

I'm sure our friend Mike West is already in his truck heading to Penn for this.   Two cars.   What do you think the models and coachwork are?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Other-Makes/402793071035

Heres the deal 2 Franklin automobiles that have been in dry heated building for 55 years, ok i have a clean pa Title for the 1931 4 door suicide doors, other 2 door have no title but will give bill of sale. there being sold for 1 money, I no no more then you do from pictures, acrually you probley no way more then me, both cars sheet metel is very nice, not all rusted apart, The wood frames also are in very nice cond, what you see is what you are bidding on, if i find other parts in all the garages i will add it to the auction, there are lots of cars and parts for his projects, the 4door is more complte then the 2 door, Would make a great Rat Rod, appears all the drive line is under ther, motor looks complete, if i find anymore parts iiwill give them to you if i find them, both sides of both cars are in same cond. i crawled back and looked to hard to take picture, Please dont ask me if the run, last inspection was, 1957,No Reserve i think the 2 door is a 1928 but i can be wrong(probley am) No Reserve auction  Cars are located in hopewell township pa. please need a days notice for inspection i do not live where cars are located both roofs are gone , there there but deteriorated.Please email with questions im limited to pics  The motor in the 2 door is totally torn down , not complete 

FranklinBarnFinds.JPG

FrankLineBarnFinds2.JPG

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• alsancle changed the title to Two Franklin Barn Finds - Real Barn - Interesting bodies

the one to the right with the side mounted spare is a 1931 series 15 model 153 Airman deluxe, the one at the rear is a series 11 or series 12 ( 1925-1928) victoria brougham. Both have bodies by Walker.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Walt G said:

the one to the right with the side mounted spare is a 1931 series 15 model 153 Airman deluxe, the one at the rear is a series 11 or series 12 ( 1925-1928) victoria brougham. Both have bodies by Walker.

Bodies by Walker. Your gonna need Walking (Walker) Shoes for a while before you get to take a drive! 

Cars look nice. Hopefully someone takes them on. The 1931 is a very drivable car, and they do well on tours. Probably my choice for a closed Franklin.

Walker bodies were very will made, and the 1931 Series 153 had a totally restyled body ( that was slightly updated for 1932 around the windshield ) on the 132 inch wheelbase is a great driving car. I drove my 1931 series 153 for close to 50,000 miles over a period of 40 years. Brakes work well with confidence and the Gemmer steering if rebuilt is fantastic. Very easy to steer, very easy to shift .  Great support in the Franklin Club as well so far as information as to what new parts fit the Franklins.  A friend here on long island drove his 1932 Airman sedan with similar body as the one in the photograph to California and back at least once if not twice to attend a Franklin meet because he liked the car and also was pleased to get the longest distance driven award. This was over 25 years ago!  Delco Ignition parts ( cap, rotor, points ) are the same as the 1951 - 54 Chevy . ( made a few people blink twice on that one , huh?) Franklin was the largest purchaser of Walker made bodies for the final 5 years that both companies were in existence, bodies were made in Mass. at Walker and shipped by rail to Syracuse to Franklin where they were mounted on the chassis and received their color coat of paint. Bodies left Walker "in the white" - ie. in gray primer , thus appearing white in color.  Another run on comment - sorry....... to much information.

• Like 5

Don't think that is the engine on the floor on the right. If you look in the shell past the headlamp, at the bottom you see part of the "squirrel cage" fan /lower that is mounted on the end of the crankshaft and above at the top the small part is the cross over manifold that connects the intake manifold that is on the right side of the engine to the exhaust manifold that is on the left side ( 3 separate cast iron pieces) . if you look on the internet for a Franklin "side draft" engine photos ( 1930-34) you will understand better what I just mentioned. 

Nothing rare here.... Parts cars . They both need  complete restorations at a cost of 5 times you can drive a good running driving car . If I get them , they will be available in parts and make lots of Franklin owners happy. The 31 does look like the plum in the crowd.

• Like 1