Need ideas on steering gear rebuild for 37 Dictator. but they are asking $600+ and

The problem is there are no parts available and few other options for knowledgeable people to work on a steering box.  It might be time to bite on the bullet.  But, I'd hold them to doing a perfect job for that price.  

• Like 1

Depending on how badly worn your steering box is and if its a Ross, you might look into a TightSteer adjuster made for 1930's and 40's Ross steering boxes. 
A friend put one in his '36 Dictator with good results.  The spring loaded adjuster replaces the stock adjuster on Ross steering boxes.  The TightSteer folks have a website siminoffjeeparts.com.  

I checked the TightSteer website and am interested in the product for my 37 President.   They do not know if it will work on it.  They said that if it has the same Ross box as the 39 and 40 Presidents it would work.

Anyone here know if they used the same Ross steering box?

Their website chart shows that it will work on 37 Dictator 5A which has the same size adjusting pin as the President.   Are the President and Dictator boxes the same?

3 hours ago, SMB said:

I checked the TightSteer website and am interested in the product for my 37 President.   They do not know if it will work on it.  They said that if it has the same Ross box as the 39 and 40 Presidents it would work.

Anyone here know if they used the same Ross steering box?

Their website chart shows that it will work on 37 Dictator 5A which has the same size adjusting pin as the President.   Are the President and Dictator boxes the same?

Sounds like it's time to sit down with the parts manual(s) and do some comparisons! 

Edited by r1lark (see edit history)

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

Sounds like it's time to sit down with the parts manual(s) and do some comparisons! 

I did that to get where I am at now.   It does not state which box each has and the cam lever has a different number which may make a difference.