Seriously?  People need to be told that?   I seriously hope that's a photo shop job.

Society needs to get out of the way and let Darwin's "Survival of the fittest"(natural selection) cull the herd.

We must be in an era where common sense isn't very common anymore.

• Like 1

1937McBuick, I believe we as a society slipped into the having to be told common sense thing about 2 or 3 generations ago. I'm sorry for saying it but, I think most of us know it already. Back in the 50's cars came with instructions telling you how to adjust the valves. Now the cars come with instructions telling you to not drink the battery contents.

• Like 4

The fellow who I worked with for 2 years in the early 1970s when we were restoring  two of my cars , doing all the paint work, had told me over and over " Everyone has common sense but not everyone has good sense"  I often think of that phrase now more then ever when I see or read things that people think are absolutely the best advice or solutions to any issue and what matters and what doesn't. whole new perspective and often with tunnel vision.

• Like 1

I tend to disagree about the lack of common or good sense. People did stupid things "way back when" and if you survived, when you got home you dad would slap you upside the head (or worse) and tell you not to be so dang stupid next time. Today we have so many social media outlets letting stupid people share their antics with a wide range of other stupid people willing to emulate them. As for the gas pump handle, it most likely is photoshopped, but it's amazing (sad?) how many warning labels are on things. My wife and I taught school, and I kid you not, the electric pencil sharpener had a manufacturer's label that said, "Do not insert finger." Remember recently when Clorox had to issue an announcement NOT to drink its bleach after the president suggested that because bleach killed the COVID virus that maybe somehow getting bleach inside us could cure COVID? (This is not meant as a political statement, only a reference to support my point.) Also, the labels are there to mitigate liability. We always see when somebody does something stupid and gets hurt, there's an army of lawyers waiting to make them and their family independently wealthy (less their 40%).

• Like 2

On April 1st I set this sign up on the dirt road that runs next to our place. There are no houses and there is maybe three cars a month on it.

There is about a half a dozen people that walk their dogs along it daily. On April 1st there were no dog walkers, so I put the sign out again  Monday the 12th and again no dog walkers.

elmont.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 4/17/2021 at 11:15 AM, Walt G said:

The fellow who I worked with for 2 years in the early 1970s when we were restoring  two of my cars , doing all the paint work, had told me over and over " Everyone has common sense but not everyone has good sense"  I often think of that phrase now more then ever when I see or read things that people think are absolutely the best advice or solutions to any issue and what matters and what doesn't. whole new perspective and often with tunnel vision.

I do agree with the statement that everyone has common sense but not everyone has good sense. I personally use the phrase that lots don't have common sense. Maybe I don't display good sense by saying it like that. I apologize !

• Haha 1

I recently started using BioFreeze pain patches to help the arm injury I've been battling since halloween...it's a large patch with adhesive on it. Do not use internally is the first thing on the instructions. 🙄

On 4/17/2021 at 8:40 PM, Max4Me said:

Today we have so many social media outlets letting stupid people share their antics with a wide range of other stupid people willing to emulate them...

...We always see when somebody does something stupid and gets hurt, there's an army of lawyers waiting to make them and their family independently wealthy (less their 40%).

Dingdingding we have a winnah! One could say the love of money is the root of a lot of stupidity, no?

Ya ever notice a lot of video clips carry the warning "don't try this at home"?

I'm a firm believer that stupid should hurt. It's how we learn not to do stupid things.🤡

My Aunt Evelyn would often say someone didn't have good common sense. She had a low tolerance for stupidity and idiots, and that rubbed off on me...

• Like 1