Current mobility scooter regs

mopar_earl

Hello,

My friend is 81 and had a very difficult time getting around Hershey in 2019. I bought her a 4-wheel single person mobility scooter to use at Hershey but appears it has to be registered with the event officials. She doesn't have a handicap placard and is being stubborn and too full of pride to apply for one from her doctor. Can it still be registered without a placard? I'm reading all kinds of answers on searches. Some say you have to have a placard and others say you don't, just sign a form and you're registered. Also read some do not register their scooters and have no issues. Which is odd cause a guard tried to force us to register a walker. We said ok and didn't. Woman was pretty rude about it. 

Thanks 

Earl

The Americans With Disabilities Act guarantees any one to use a mobility scooter anywhere that they want. No registration can be required. You can actually drive/ride virtually anything you want anywhere if you need it. It’s best not to push the envelope. I would not have any concern about using it as she sees fit.

• Like 1

The Hershey regulations which were agreed to years ago after working with officials of the state allow for people to bring their own personal mobility devices.  They DO need to be registered, get a safety check and tag at one of the handicapped entrances. Proof of disability is not asked. They also have to be electric powered. 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

The Hershey regulations which were agreed to years ago after working with officials of the state allow for people to bring their own personal mobility devices.  They DO need to be registered, get a safety check and tag at one of the handicapped entrances. Proof of disability is not asked. They also have to be electric powered. 

Thanks for the reply! So much false info floating around. The scooter is electric. It's a small rascal type personal mobility scooter. Comes apart for hauling in a trunk. By no means anything like a golf cart. 

We camp at the Hershey Campground Resort and take the shuttle buses. Obviously with hauling the scooter we would drive to the show and park daily. WITHOUT a handicap placard, where do you suggest we park my truck to have scooter access to and from? Especially the first morning to register it? We never drove in before, always shuttles. 

Thanks,

Earl

Fortunatly today the scooters are much better and less expensive than a golf cart. To be honest, I don't see any reason anymore for carts......even for 90 percent of the officials. I was RUN DOWN AND OVER at Amelia four years ago..........hit hard, bleeding, by an asshole going fast on a gasoline golf cart. I came up startled and swinging till I saw it was a very old man........very stupid also.........the cops saw me come up and realized I was going to punch whoever's lights out that was driving it.........and backed off when I was only screaming at him. They should have taken the cart away from the guy. Typical ass who thinks his wallet gives him special privileges. I was banged up pretty good. I was on a sidewalk when I was hit. It was an instant pay day if I wanted one, put I don't live my life like that. With todays electric mobility options, there is no reason for carts on any field or swap meet.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 4/17/2021 at 9:45 AM, edinmass said:

Fortunatly today the scooters are much better and less expensive than a golf cart. To be honest, I don't see any reason anymore for carts......even for 90 percent of the officials. I was RUN DOWN AND OVER at Amelia four years ago..........hit hard, bleeding, by an asshole going fast on a gasoline golf cart. I came up startled and swinging till I saw it was a very old man........very stupid also.........the cops saw me come up and realized I was going to punch whoever's lights out that was driving it.........and backed off when I was only screaming at him. They should have taken the cart away from the guy. Typical ass who thinks his wallet gives him special privileges. I was banged up pretty good. I was on a sidewalk when I was hit. It was an instant pay day if I wanted one, put I don't live my life like that. With todays electric mobility options, there is no reason for carts on any field or swap meet.

I fully agree. Golf carts shouldn't be allowed. Single and double personal mobility scooters are very affordable new and used. Also health care tends to pay for them. My buddy. Stepped out of a porta pot at Hershey and almost got hit. Guy was too lazy to get off the cart and walk to the trash can. So he drives up to it then drives up close and pass the porta pots. The door swung open, he stepped out and porta pot door almost hit the golf cart that's how close the lazy moron got to the porta pots. 

I tell you, if someone hits me on a golf cart, I will pull them off of it and flip it over in self defense. I won't take being ran down lightly. 

They also think they have the right away. They think dragging a can or chain is their authority to override a pedestrians lawful right away.

Thanks,

Earl

On 4/17/2021 at 8:39 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Let me see if you would be allowed in the handicapped parking lots.  If not, you are stuck in general parking.  I do see scooters crossing the highway where the traffic control people are in front of the Giant Center but let me get an official answer.  Next week.

Thanks, I appreciate your time and help!

Earl

• Like 2

On 4/17/2021 at 8:39 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Let me see if you would be allowed in the handicapped parking lots.  If not, you are stuck in general parking.  I do see scooters crossing the highway where the traffic control people are in front of the Giant Center but let me get an official answer.  Next week.

Steve, 

Happen to find out about the parking? 

Do you happen to have a copy of the forum we are to sign during the registration that you can post or send to me? Would like to know what we are expected to sign ahead of time. 

Thanks,

Earl

There were two useful recharging stations that a friend used.  But he plans to bring an extra battery pack to avoid sitting around at charging station.  Just leave one on charge and travel on.

I think there may have been three charge stations provided, he used one midfield Chocolate field near food isle and another charge station at Giant Center close to bridge 

With the possible increase in use of E mobility vehicles / Perhaps additional charge stations could be provided, we may have stranded  persons unable to move.

This will be 58 years in a row AT Hershey, visited in 2020, met friends, plan to be there.......!! 

On 5/3/2021 at 8:53 PM, Hans1 said:

There were two useful recharging stations that a friend used.  But he plans to bring an extra battery pack to avoid sitting around at charging station.  Just leave one on charge and travel on.

I think there may have been three charge stations provided, he used one midfield Chocolate field near food isle and another charge station at Giant Center close to bridge 

With the possible increase in use of E mobility vehicles / Perhaps additional charge stations could be provided, we may have stranded  persons unable to move.

This will be 58 years in a row AT Hershey, visited in 2020, met friends, plan to be there.......!! 

Maybe the local Ford dealer will rent out one of those new F150's with the on-board generators for the meet!

It created a lot of GOOD PR for Ford last winter in Texas.

Craig

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 4:20 PM, Steve Moskowitz said:

No, the person I needed to speak to was just released from the hospital today....I will give him a bit before contacting him.  I am not sure you have to sign any document but will check on that...

I hope the person is doing well! 

Thanks,

Earl

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Any updates to share on mobility scooters and handicap parking without a placard? Need to be able to park where the scooter can be unloaded and driven to the show. We stay at Hersheypark Camping Resort. I've never seen a handicap shuttle at the campground. So due to the scooter we'd have to drive to the show daily, which we've never done before.

Thanks,

Earl

Edited by mopar_earl (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

My F150 has has a AC 120 volt charger.  the 400 watts is enough to help charge my moped batteries  while driving to dinner. 

take your own cord and a 3 way outlet to expand the service when using the provided charging stations. I did it before.

also mark and highlight your battery pack..............avoids some one making a mistake.