My 1912 Metz is home!

Hello Everyone, 

My 1912 Twenty-two has finally made it to PA from Texas. Here are some pictures as promised. I was told by the widow selling this Metz that it had been in the same ownership for over 5 decades, and was obtained by trading for a shotgun. As far as I can tell it has been off the road for a very long time, but is surprisingly solid. The ancient Wards Riversides are even holding air (for now)  Its pretty complete mechanically. I'd love to find a proper gas tank, headlight mounts, top, belly pan, horn, and lights all around for it. I have a few projects ahead of this one, and I am not really sure what my goals for it are, but I'm kind of excited for it. The engine turns well, and feels like it has decent compression. Please feel free to reach out with any info or parts availability. 

-Matt

Metz 2.jpg

metz 1.jpg

Edited by Matt Goist (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Yes, it does look like a 1912 due to the single cross bolt holding the wheel hub to the bearing hub.  That feature was gone in 1913.    1911 Metz cars would have a different front hood and radiator, and are not 4 cyl.

In case you did not know; the single bolt allowed the wheels to be reversed so that the car could travel the deep wagon rutted dirt roads...and which the width of those wagon ruts differed in the South vs. North. 

Pull the cross bolt out, then slide the wheel off and turn it around backwards to change the "track" width of the car.  Over 30 years ago, I carried my '12 in the back of a pickup, and it would fit in there if I switched the wheels to the narrow track position.  Your '12 is set for narrow track in your pics.

• Like 1