u-joint bolts stripped

fordmerc

clarification: there is no space/clearance for the 7/16 socket head; while I can use an open end wrench  (and not the box end), I am concerned that  it won't get the bolt tight enough. And I'm still concerned abut the root cause of the stripped bolts.

I am tending to my project at a glacial pace. I recently sheared two of the four bolt heads that hold the doohicky by which the radiator hose attaches to the top of the block. I was able to loosen the shaft of one of the bolts as it gripped the doohicky, but the other wouldn't budge. Afraid to crack the doohicky, I fiddled with it for days (weeks?) until the remaining bolt severed where it entered the block and was able to detach the doohicky. It was rust that prevented the removal of the bolts. They were as if welded. Now I'll clean things up and remove the broken parts of the bolts in the block. Then I'll have to use thread inserts and reattach the doohicky. My question is what dangers should I know about when drilling out the old bolts? I'll have to do it with a hand held drill and hope I will not make a crooked hole. Warnings please. Thanks, Jerry

PS It is a '27 Packard

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 1:09 PM, Jerry with a Packard said:

I am tending to my project at a glacial pace. I recently sheared two of the four bolt heads that hold the doohicky by which the radiator hose attaches to the top of the block. I was able to loosen the shaft of one of the bolts as it gripped the doohicky, but the other wouldn't budge. Afraid to crack the doohicky, I fiddled with it for days (weeks?) until the remaining bolt severed where it entered the block and was able to detach the doohicky. It was rust that prevented the removal of the bolts. They were as if welded. Now I'll clean things up and remove the broken parts of the bolts in the block. Then I'll have to use thread inserts and reattach the doohicky. My question is what dangers should I know about when drilling out the old bolts? I'll have to do it with a hand held drill and hope I will not make a crooked hole. Warnings please. Thanks, Jerry

PS It is a '27 Packard

Liberally soak the stud area with good penetrating oil and let it sit for at least a few days.  Then use a reverse drill bit smaller than the stud.  I did this when a rocker arm assembly bolt broke off in the head of my 1949 MG TC and the snapped stud came out as I was drilling.  You can get drills that have built-in levels if you are concerned about drilling a straight hole.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob, Thanks for the response which I read after I made things worse. I used easy outs twice. I snapped both of those. Having trouble with the second one. A drill so far doesn't bite into the easy out. The local specialty shop suggested a diamond drill, which I think will just burn up. But I will give it a try. Will let you know the outcome. I will try to irrigate as I do the drilling. Maybe I can get to it Tuesday. Jerry

• 1 month later...

I was able to remove the second easy out. I tapped the hole. Bolt goes in, but it is crooked. Can't get the thermostat housing reattached. Solution seems to be removing the head and having a machine shop re-drill the hole.

What am I getting myself into? Heads can be difficult to remove once all the nuts are removed? The shaft from the distributor must be kept un-rotated? Something else to be aware of?

The manual I have says that I need to remove the "Delco head" before the cylinder head. What is that?

On 7/3/2021 at 10:23 AM, Jerry with a Packard said:

The manual I have says that I need to remove the "Delco head" before the cylinder head. What is that?

Distributor?