'63-'64 wire spinner hubcaps to '65 rally wheels?

Hi All. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Riviera hubcaps. I've always liked the looked of the '63-'64 wire hubcaps with dual spinners like these pictured (except with the "R" emblem) and thought they'd go great on my '65 resto mod.

Will these fit or can they be made to fit on the standard 15" rally wheels found on the '65s?

Or do I need to look at a separate set of wheels to accept these hubcaps?

What is a fair price for a clean set these days?

Thank you for educating me.

David

rims.jpg

Separate wheels would be better. If the wire caps were to fit the damage to the chrome would ruin your rally wheels . If you want the R centers for your wires contact Turbinator.

Kevin

• Like 1

Any 15” wheel with a 5 x 5 bolt pattern should work for you.  Older Buick.  Pontiac, Oldsmobile, or Cadillac. Probably the easiest to find would be 5 bolt Chevy pick up wheels.  Either 5-1/2” or 6” wide.  Measure width inside the bead seats on the wheel. But only the later Buick wheels will accept the cast aluminum cover that is bolted to the wheel.

4D15AFB6-47B4-47AC-9F3C-1DD365F5AE23.gif.05a955890d68605c5d682b15661b1674.gif

Edited by RivNut
Add image (see edit history)
1 minute ago, DShoes said:

Thanks all. I appreciate the advice. 

Any guesses at what a fair price range is for a set?

DShoes, I’m not clear on what you want. I think you want to mount the wire wheel covers with the R logo on your 65. If your 65 came with a steel wheel your wheelcovers will clinch right on. I have 1965 Buick zRiviera wheels that fit your car and wheel covers. If you want them media blasted and powder coated they are $140.00 each. The R logos you want are $40.00 each. You pay shipping the exact amount. I need some money for boxes to ship your wheels and running them to the shipping / mailing company. A nominal fee. I cut the prices on the wheels and logos close so the fees for handling help me maintain profitability.

if you don’t want them powder coated they are $115.00 each.

Thank you for your inquiry.

E71F3D4F-0BA0-4BDA-9E5A-6CBCDB0DE5BD.jpeg

73B63CAB-462C-43DF-9105-386A1E0687D9.jpeg

74537C63-B9FB-4B64-B7EB-90588104E769.jpeg

To be clear, I want to put the ‘63-‘64 hub caps I attached of a picture of on my ‘65 which has the standard rally wheels. I would prefer the “R” logo spinners. 

Appreciate your info but I prefer the look of the crossing spokes on 63-64 hub caps. If I can source a pair for a fair price, I’ll reach out to you regarding your “R” logo spinners. Thanks Turbinator. 

14 hours ago, DShoes said:

To be clear, I want to put the ‘63-‘64 hub caps I attached of a picture of on my ‘65 which has the standard rally wheels. I would prefer the “R” logo spinners. 

Appreciate your info but I prefer the look of the crossing spokes on 63-64 hub caps. If I can source a pair for a fair price, I’ll reach out to you regarding your “R” logo spinners. Thanks Turbinator. 

DShoes, I believe what you are asking is if the wire caps will go on your road wheels. I do not think that will work. 

What you need is a set of the plain steel wheels that any of the hub caps were used on.

In other words , you need a set of steel wheels and the wire caps you prefer. Not sure on a price. Hope this helps clarify.

• Like 1

71GS, exactly. RivNut suggested the same on using plain steel wheels and provided a great diagram but others have suggested the rally wheels would work. 

Since I have no experience with hub caps, I’m not clear on how they attach to the wheel. Buying another set of wheels and switching over the tires also adds effort + cost. 

@DShoes This is the look you’re going for.

4D12D1DC-74A2-4B7F-9603-053346286382.jpeg.fddf080b1a18adcd0828a46e34653136.jpeg

That is a simple wheel cover with spring tension on some teeth around the inside of the cover.  The teeth dig into the steel wheel.  When I send you the pictures of the covers we discussed, I’ll include a shot of the back that shows the teeth.  The covers MIGHT fit your rally wheels but the teeth would tear up the chrome; that’s why everyone is saying don’t do it.  I’m headed to the shed to dig out the covers and send you the pictures.

Ed

@DShoes Here are pictures of four of the 64 & > wire wheel covers I have. I'll send you a PM so we can discuss details.  All four are exactly the same.  These are driver quality, no broken plastic center caps, and no bent spokes.  The nice thing about these covers is that they are easy to disassemble and clean.IMG_20210411_113556070.jpg.c0ff74f360da40c7f28238350bc72504.jpgIMG_20210411_113602974.jpg.3402d5dd92310402b825b4b6a09385e5.jpgIMG_20210411_113613014.jpg.fdd2736f84c1d02345ea03792759fee2.jpgIMG_20210411_113728137.jpg.6e8bd092fbc2d1bac9d4da19a8e3fd38.jpgIMG_20210411_113733411.jpg.f1e9b6f13a34b15fde06a24417ca6943.jpgIMG_20210411_113737905.jpg.44a2033c0c274da5a608aa5ee3b4dd0e.jpg

This picture shows the machine screws in the back that let you disassemble the cover for cleaning

IMG_20210411_113856501.jpg.1a7dbead1f2c7f245b2cfed5f95b4c02.jpg

This next picture shows the teeth that grip the wheel.  They have spring tension that keeps them tight.

IMG_20210411_113915338.jpg.a6582874ae0c27924db710a9d14b785d.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Those look pretty good. Do I gather that removing the machine screws at the back allows the disc “sandwich” to open for cleaning with one set of spikes in each disc? 

And it’s only secured to the wheel via those spring tensioned teeth?

The spokes are actually V shaped with the apex of the V hidden under the spinner.  Very simple to take apart and clean.  Yes, the spring loaded teeth are the only things that keep the cover mounted.  Don’t worry, there is a terrific amount of tension in those teeth. That cover is not going anywhere.  I’ve never had one fly off or even come loose.  You’ll develop some colorful language trying to get them on and off.

Edit:

in looking at the covers again, you’ll see two “levels” of spokes. Taking out the four screws in the center releases half the spokes by allowing you to remove the spinner. Removing the eight outer screws releases the conical shaped piece and you can access the other half.  Make sure that you put the spokes from each level back where you took them out.  Take off the spinner and take a picture BEFORE removing any spokes. Do the same with the lower level. If you’re off by one hole, they won’t go back together correctly. 🤨

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
2 hours ago, DShoes said:

Those look pretty good. Do I gather that removing the machine screws at the back allows the disc “sandwich” to open for cleaning with one set of spikes in each disc? 

And it’s only secured to the wheel via those spring tensioned teeth?

Here are the wire wheel covers disassembled.

Bill

Wheel Cover Disassembly 3.jpg

Wheel Cover Disassembly 4.jpg

Wheel Cover Disassembly 5.jpg

Wheel Cover Disassembly 6.jpg

Wheel Cover Disassembly 7.jpg

• Thanks 1

Excellent photos.  Should not leave anything to the imagination.  It also gives you an good idea as to how clean you can get them.

Ed

DShoes,

Those lttle spikes you see that hold the cap to the steel wheel go on much easier than coming off. IF those spikes didn't mar up the chrome going on they will definately mar up the chrome on the Rally wheels because as they are coming off the spikes try to put more tension/dig into the wheels & dig in so they don't come off as easily.  And, don't forget the chrome is much more slippery so there's a good chance they will come off the Rally wheel especialy going around a corner & also with the use of radial tires.

Do like everyone says & get some steelies. Don't want to see the $$$ & time that has been spent & you hear one of them depart the vehicle.  You may think you know where it went when you look in the rear view mirror & THINK you have a good idea where it went. Normally is a friutless search that is off into oblivium.

Tom T.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Excellent photos.  Should not leave anything to the imagination.  It also gives you an good idea as to how clean you can get them.

Ed

Thanks Ed, That is an annual winter project. Disassemble, wash, metal polish, wax and reassemble. I have learned that you can keep them looking good while on the car without using soap and water.

Bill

On 4/11/2021 at 9:10 PM, Riviera63 said:. I have learned that you can keep them looking good while on the car without using soap and water.

Bill, whatever you learned has some great lessons. Very fine work indeed.

Turbinator