Classics with bodies not original to their chassis

13 hours ago, Tph479 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised is this is something a little more “special” by this time.

E419C666-ABFF-47D1-9CF7-D534A5A09DA3.png

Tim,

It is chassis # 408355 with body by Frejat.

M Vol 2 pp 30.jpg

• Like 2
On 4/18/2021 at 11:20 AM, alsancle said:

Tim,

It is chassis # 408355 with body by Frejat.

M Vol 2 pp 30.jpg

This looks like something Homer Simpson designed. I think this car gives the Father Divine Duesenberg some competition.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

This looks like something Homer Simpson designed. I think this car gives the Father Divine Duesenberg some competition.

Do you like it better after Tom Barrett got his hands on it?   The color is called "Rosso Barrett".

540K-Frejat-Coupe-2.jpg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Tph479 said:

I hope it held together better than the Duesenberg.  The 'Father Divine' car was known for being too heavy for its chassis.  

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/50686-orphan-of-the-day-03-10-1937-duesenberg-model-j

Craig

15 hours ago, alsancle said:

Do you like it better after Tom Barrett got his hands on it?   The color is called "Rosso Barrett".

540K-Frejat-Coupe-2.jpg

Actually...  it was Jim Southard's shop at Classic Car Investments in Atlanta (Smyrna) that was responsible for the "restoration" of this car. I witnessed it being painted and put back together there in the mid 1970s. I remember that the rocker trim was purchased from a hardware store.

• Thanks 1
On 4/13/2021 at 7:30 AM, alsancle said:

There are very few Duesenberg 3 window coupes.  The only two I can think of is the red Judkins and the aluminum topped Murphy that sold for $10,000,000.

Jay also owns another 3-window coupe. The blue 1934 steamlined-looking job.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:22 AM, Restorer32 said:

I would have to take my shoes off to count all the '32-'34 Packard Coupe Roadsters that I know started life as Coupes.  To be fair, if you found a '32-'34 Packard Coupe body skin with the roof removed  and the data plate missing it is virtually impossible to tell if that skin was from a coupe or a Coupe Roadster.  Would you restore it as a coupe or as a Coupe Roadster? 

The 1932-33 Packard Eight/Super Eight/Twelve coupes are a much tougher job to turn into a coupe-roadster, as it is an entirely different body. The 1934 coupe is basically the same body as the coupe-roadster.

• Thanks 1