Classics with bodies not original to their chassis

md murray

50 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

This looks like something Homer Simpson designed. I think this car gives the Father Divine Duesenberg some competition.

Do you like it better after Tom Barrett got his hands on it?   The color is called "Rosso Barrett".

540K-Frejat-Coupe-2.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tph479 said:

This looks like something Homer Simpson designed. I think this car gives the Father Divine Duesenberg some competition.

I hope it held together better than the Duesenberg.  The 'Father Divine' car was known for being too heavy for its chassis.  

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/50686-orphan-of-the-day-03-10-1937-duesenberg-model-j

Craig

15 hours ago, alsancle said:

Do you like it better after Tom Barrett got his hands on it?   The color is called "Rosso Barrett".

540K-Frejat-Coupe-2.jpg

Actually...  it was Jim Southard's shop at Classic Car Investments in Atlanta (Smyrna) that was responsible for the "restoration" of this car. I witnessed it being painted and put back together there in the mid 1970s. I remember that the rocker trim was purchased from a hardware store.

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2021 at 7:30 AM, alsancle said:

There are very few Duesenberg 3 window coupes.  The only two I can think of is the red Judkins and the aluminum topped Murphy that sold for $10,000,000.

Jay also owns another 3-window coupe. The blue 1934 steamlined-looking job.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:22 AM, Restorer32 said:

I would have to take my shoes off to count all the '32-'34 Packard Coupe Roadsters that I know started life as Coupes.  To be fair, if you found a '32-'34 Packard Coupe body skin with the roof removed  and the data plate missing it is virtually impossible to tell if that skin was from a coupe or a Coupe Roadster.  Would you restore it as a coupe or as a Coupe Roadster? 

The 1932-33 Packard Eight/Super Eight/Twelve coupes are a much tougher job to turn into a coupe-roadster, as it is an entirely different body. The 1934 coupe is basically the same body as the coupe-roadster.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

In the late 60's I worked at Harrah's Automobile Collection. Harrah's commissioned Bill Honda owner of California Metal Shapers to build complete bodies for a Packard boat tail, several "Murphy bodies for Duesenbergs both roadsters and dual cowls. I remember stored in warehouses these fresh recreated bodies and pontoon fenders awaiting a donor chassis. 

I also remember the less desirable original bodies, coupes, sedans some very nice and others quite rough just sitting waiting for a potential buyer. I wonder now some 50 years later who owns the rebodied cars and if they know or knew when they purchased their new prize the "real " history

brasscarguy.   

4 hours ago, brasscarguy2 said:

In the late 60's I worked at Harrah's Automobile Collection. Harrah's commissioned Bill Honda owner of California Metal Shapers to build complete bodies for a Packard boat tail, several "Murphy bodies for Duesenbergs both roadsters and dual cowls. I remember stored in warehouses these fresh recreated bodies and pontoon fenders awaiting a donor chassis. 

I also remember the less desirable original bodies, coupes, sedans some very nice and others quite rough just sitting waiting for a potential buyer. I wonder now some 50 years later who owns the rebodied cars and if they know or knew when they purchased their new prize the "real " history

brasscarguy.   

The Duesenberg owners probably do. But the Packard owners might not.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:55 AM, alsancle said:

The Duesenberg owners probably do. But the Packard owners might not.

On 10/21/2021 at 11:52 PM, brasscarguy2 said:

brasscarguy.   

The Packard 734 Registry is well aware of which boattails are fake. There are only six completely authentic examples, plus one with a body swap with another, and at least another six-eight with replica bodies -- some on authentic chassis, some not.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

The Packard 734 Registry is well aware of which boattails are fake. There are only six completely authentic examples, plus one with a body swap with another, and at least another six-eight with replica bodies -- some on authentic chassis, some not.

Is the Packard registry available to any owner?   Of course,  the Duesenberg info isn't exactly public.

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

Is the Packard registry available to any owner?   Of course,  the Duesenberg info isn't exactly public.

Certain parts of it. Many of the notes are confidential, as are some of the identifying numbers.

Like Duesenbergs... One must do their due diligence before purchasing.

• Like 2