Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Three sizes: United States Patent 3,329,468 WHEEL STRUCTURE Richard D. Beith, 606 Duar Drive, Concord, Calif. 94520 Filed Oct. 21, 1965,

Therefore, it is another object of this invention to provide a wheel which incorporates means for accommodating the three different diameter bolt circles of most automobiles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a patent search with the numbers on the wheel. The patent was granted to a Richard D. Beith. The unique feature that was given the patent was the "uni lug" feature. Richard D Beith is the owner of the Wheel Center. I don't believe that are ET wheels, I don't think ET ever sold a uni-lug pattern on any of their wheels. 
 

You beat me to it Padgett!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

I don't believe that are ET wheels, I don't think ET ever sold a uni-lug pattern on any of their wheels.

 

Not only did E-T Wheels own that patent, they sued a competitor for patent infringement.

 

https://books.google.com/books?id=9B5BC5kyys4C&pg=RA1-PA25&lpg=RA1-PA25&dq=United+States+Patent+3,329,468&source=bl&ots=_QaaCU4W2M&sig=ACfU3U1dxKw77zK8VuQX415Gip00sOZMQQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjtzPzK2e_vAhWYFVkFHXCEDHEQ6AEwBXoECAgQAw#v=onepage&q=United States Patent 3%2C329%2C468&f=false

 

 

4124847618_766085d648_b.jpg

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a set of Mach Sixty Belted tires many moons ago. First white-letter tires I ever owned. I had to listen to sh*t from my dad over them for months. He never missed a day sniping at me for "wasting money on those white letter tires" until the day I'd heard all of it I was going to and cleared the air. My car needed tires and I was making enough money to pay for them and still contribute to household expenses. Didn't have to ask him for any help.

 

Those of you who had great relationships with a supportive dad don't know how good you had it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the diameter 16"?  I think it says 8.50 x 16. 

 

If 16, that wheel must be for drag racing.  The dark coloring, it might be a true magnesium wheel, and would be worth getting a better appraisal on Hamb.

 

The 2 rim edge chips affect value, but I'd still want to know if they are 16" magnesium before selling them.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Those of you who had great relationships with a supportive dad don't know how good you had it.

 

The problem with being lucky when you are a kid is that you don't realize it until you get older.   Here is my GTO that my dad stick welded back together again for me.  I did appreciate it at the time but really appreciated it when I look back.   But he also fostered a life long love of cars in me.

 

Here are my Cragar SS mags with white letters which were CRITICAL.

GTO-2.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I had a set of Mach Sixty Belted tires many moons ago. First white-letter tires I ever owned. I had to listen to sh*t from my dad over them for months. He never missed a day sniping at me for "wasting money on those white letter tires" until the day I'd heard all of it I was going to and cleared the air. My car needed tires and I was making enough money to pay for them and still contribute to household expenses. Didn't have to ask him for any help.

 

Those of you who had great relationships with a supportive dad don't know how good you had it.

What would have been even more hilarious was if your dad bought a set for his car a few years later.

 

I can relate to that.  I wore eyeglasses from an early age, and in 1971, I insisted my new pair being wire-framed which were becoming popular for all ages, (and still are).  My dad cussed and swore on and on, about younger people wearing "granny glasses", and didn't like it at all when I wanted to 'join the crowd'  He got even more pissed off when my mom sided with me and let me have my way with my new wire-frame eyeglasses.   Fast-forward three or four years later, guess what my dad's new pair of eyeglasses were.....

 

Craig

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F&J said:

Is the diameter 16"?  I think it says 8.50 x 16. 

 

 

 

 


15” per tire size at 12:00 on the top pic. Just under the DI of RADIAL.    -    Carl 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, F&J said:

Is the diameter 16"?  I think it says 8.50 x 16.

 

 

It says LR60-15.

 

An L60-15 (or LR60-15 for radial) tire was 27.86" outside diameter and 10.5" section width. That's comparable to a 275/60-15 today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, padgett said:

Three sizes: United States Patent 3,329,468 WHEEL STRUCTURE Richard D. Beith, 606 Duar Drive, Concord, Calif. 94520 Filed Oct. 21, 1965,

Therefore, it is another object of this invention to provide a wheel which incorporates means for accommodating the three different diameter bolt circles of most automobiles.

Sorry, but I am having a tough time figuring out how these wheels could possibly fit THREE size bolt patterns. I see only TWO positions to use.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree, that was a quote from the patent at https://patents.google.com/patent/US3329468A/en

 

"An analysis of the radii of lug bolt circles of most makes of automobiles has revealed that there are essentially three different diameter bolt circles utilized; 4 /2,

4% and inches. Therefore, it is another object of this invention to provide a wheel which incorporates means for accommodating the three different diameter bolt circles of most automobiles."
 
Must admit I am not sure this is accurate. At the time would expect standard US 5 bolt circles to be 4.5", 4.75" and 5".
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, F&J said:

Is the diameter 16"?  I think it says 8.50 x 16. 

 

If 16, that wheel must be for drag racing.  The dark coloring, it might be a true magnesium wheel, and would be worth getting a better appraisal on Hamb.

 

The 2 rim edge chips affect value, but I'd still want to know if they are 16" magnesium before selling them.

 

 

True magnesium wheels become a very iffy proposition as they age.  Use for display only is the best rule of thumb.

 

Greg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a size stamping on the wheel. Did look like 8.5 by 16 to me too. But the tire size is 15, so that wouldn't work.

Screenshot (318).png

 

That really does look like 8.50 x 16 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe that is the actual rim size and not the tire size ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My first new car had white letters but there was no choice of brand, you took whatever the factory put on.  Course I was real proud of the car and took it to show off to my Dad.  He was supportive but he hated Firestone tires, a grudge from a long-ago dispute with a dealer.  He took one look at those screamingly obvious white letters and said, "Why'd you get those damn Firestones?"  🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Sorry, but I am having a tough time figuring out how these wheels could possibly fit THREE size bolt patterns. I see only TWO positions to use.

 

There are oval washers with the hole directly in the center, as well as the offset washers that can be flipped either way. The three bolt patterns are 5x4.5", 5x4.75", and 5x5".

 

 

centered.jpg

offset.jpg

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

 

There are oval washers with the hole directly in the center, as well as the offset washers that can be flipped either way. The three bolt patterns are 5x4.5", 5x4.75", and 5x5".

 

 

centered.jpg

offset.jpg

I can see only two positions on the wheel in question. Never saw the washers with the hole in the centers. THAT makes it three.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I can see only two positions on the wheel in question. Never saw the washers with the hole in the centers. THAT makes it three.

 

The wheels came bare. You had to separately purchase the washers and lug nuts that were correct for your particular car.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, alsancle said:

I was more of a Cragar SS guy myself.

I had the slots on my truck. Seemed like everyone in town had Cragars.  I prefer Cragars to slots now though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Never cared for Crager, the chrome seemed to peel very quickly in the Florida climate. Liked Americans and Ansens a lot better. Halibrands and Minilites were more expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave Pratt said:

I am wondering who made the wheels and if they are aluminum or magnesium.

Try to set a small sliver afire. If it burns quick and white-hot, magnesium.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would spend HOURS polishing the slotted wheels on my truck. Should have bought stock in McGuires. When polished they looked great. But that would only last a couple of weeks until you do it all over again. When I had the wheels refinished on my trans am they asked if I wanted them clear coated, DUH, no brainer.  Some will say not to but  6 yrs on they still look new, a quick wipe with the micro fibre and they shine again!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 8:03 AM, alsancle said:

 

The problem with being lucky when you are a kid is that you don't realize it until you get older.   Here is my GTO that my dad stick welded back together again for me.  I did appreciate it at the time but really appreciated it when I look back.   But he also fostered a life long love of cars in me.

 

Here are my Cragar SS mags with white letters which were CRITICAL.

GTO-2.jpg

Is that a blue '51-'52 Plymouth in the background? They're my favorite cars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dave Pratt said:

I am wondering who made the wheels and if they are aluminum or magnesium.

If you take a small file to an edge  magnesium will be a dull gray, aluminum will be bright with a bit of a shine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harold said:

Is that a blue '51-'52 Plymouth in the background? They're my favorite cars.

 

49 Special Deluxe two door.   My dad bought it for me for 500 bucks when I was 14.  It literally was owned by a little old lady from new,  at 9600 miles on it and was "mint".   He threw some blue enamel over the original gray, and some vinyl seat covers.    We put an Fenton dual carb intake on it.

 

It was really nice and painting it these days would be considered a crime.   It motivated me to work my ass off to buy my own GTO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 5:19 PM, rocketraider said:

Those of you who had great relationships with a supportive dad don't know how good you had it.

 

I can relate.

 

Not sure what's worse, not ever knowing your father, having an abusive father, having a father that left 6 kids all under the age of 14, or having to listen to him later in life spew hatred for all of them as if the kids were the reason for his woes in life. I'd say all of the above... lol

Thank God those days are over...

 

As for wheels, I have never seen a 67/68 Cuda fastback especially in black that ever looked right without Cragars..

 

 

 

See the source image

 

Closer but too way to much wheel candy with the large white letters (killer hood scoop mannnn lol)

See the source image   

 

 

Just right

 

See the source image

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought the Hemi style scoop looked great. Even more so if the car was a genuine example. { Hemi Dart's as well }. The raised white letter tires I can also do without.

As for steel or steel / alloy mixed construction wheel you either love them or hate them.

Either 1 piece alloy or 3 piece alloy for me.

 

Classic racing wheels

 

13" COMPOMOTIVE TURBO Split Rims, 4x 101.6 Classic Mini, Imp, Midget, VW  (?) - £695.00 | PicClick UK

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always turned white letters or whitewalls in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

and the number of the spokes shall be five (except for snowflakes).

Link to post
Share on other sites

More of my cars have 4 stud wheels than 5 stud Padget. I generally find the number of spokes should in most cases match the number of studs.

 Lots of nice 4 spoke wheels out there.

2-Piece Gotti Wheels 13x6, 4x100| Parts For Sale forum |

Beautiful set of Cosmic 13x5.5 alloy wheels - BMW 2002 and Neue Klasse  Parts For Sale - BMW 2002 FAQ

Cosmic Mk1 Wheels- 13x4.5 : MG Midget Forum : MG Experience Forums : The MG  Experience

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only 5 spoke 4 stud wheels I have are the ATS's on my Auto - X car.  One of the few options in the reasonably priced category for a 1970's Formula car using outboard brakes. Found on a great many Formula Super Vees of this period.

You can get custom wheel in any configuration these days, but I always look for low cost solutions .

Not sure why ATS didn't make a 4 spoke version , but as far as I know they did not.

 ATS Classic Black Polished 13" Alloy Wheels - Wheelbase

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through a Whole Bunch of Vega GT wheels (13x6) when autocrossing my Sunbird, would usually crack a right front every weekend, once the whole center broke out. Saved my Snowflakes for when on the street.

 

sbird.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...