Seen at a local parking lot

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Have always wondered about "the position". I have never seen a retractable that wasn't displayed like this. Is it a "retractable thing" ???

It would certainly seem ridiculous to me to display a hydraulic or esp a GM electric scissor convertible top half up/down.

Don't get me wrong. I like the retractable's engineering and 57-59 Fords generally, but "the position" has always struck me as borderline silly.

Yup, must be a retractable thing.

Yep, its the 'monkeys always look' mentality, considering Ford still offered a regular folding fabric top convertible from '57- '59.   And its THE way from a distance at a show the owner gets noticed he owns the more expensive and more rare Skyliner.

Even some who own convertibles that only were available as a retractable are displayed this way.

14st020.jpg

09sr129.jpg

• Like 1

At least the merc can be raised/lowered in the garage.

slkroof.jpg

Do think that chrome strip on the side really helps break up the slab back of the Ford.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

As for seeing a skyliner at a show with a half open top, I dont think its really a look at me statement. But then again arent all the cars at the show a look at me?   To me its more about the engineering and up until a few years ago this kind of top was not often seen. The open position shows it at its most interesting part.  A couple of years ago I was at a street cafe when a volvo with a retractable top parked and the lady put the top up. Everyone at the pub stared during the entire process. At that time it was kind of an oddity, I suppose it still is to a certain degree.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, 8E45E said:

As can the Miata and Ferrari be raised and lowered in a garage.

Craig

09cais051.jpg

10cis016.jpg

I can raise and lower my Skyliner top in my standard size garage also. 👍

On 4/10/2021 at 6:42 AM, 8E45E said:

If I remember reading somewhere, (Motor Trend, 'In Retrospect'?), it stated factory luggage set for the Skyliner remained a prototype with only one set being made.

I wonder if someone did see the actual blueprints and had a set made for their Skyliner.

Craig

I’m pretty sure it was easily ordered back in the day. There was a manufacturer making repos until a few years ago. I should have bought some when I had the chance. 

2E758E62-C283-47C0-9121-E1A0C3234AB9.jpeg

4 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I can raise and lower my Skyliner top in my standard size garage also. 👍

I'll take your word for it.

I don't have a height restriction for raising or lowering a top in my garage.

Craig

iphone1 050.JPG

21 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

I'll take your word for it.

Honestly, I was surprised myself. I have a standard 2 car in my 1995 home. I tried it the first time because I didn’t want it to get stuck and not be able to get it back in my garage. 

Turns out I’ve had very little issues with the top aside from one time when I had to manually close it. Jack did some adjustments a couple years ago and it’s been good since. The folks at the Skyliner Club say that they are more reliable then most think. I do want to have the mechanics for the top gone through and a few things replaced soon though. It appears it’s been a while. It’s been in the family since ‘91 and had a minor restoration that I believed pre-dates that.

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For those interested.

The Ford Retractable is not hydraulic.

It is a series of worm drives, micro switches, solenoids, some cable drives similar to a speedometer drive but much heavier. All motor driven, (I forget how many, but several).

VLs car just needed those long acme screws and some pivot points cleaned and lubed as the 1957 grease had pretty much turned to glue.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

My issue is the track for the Genie (have three, one is a barn door) but garage was built to be discreet and not really visible from the street (HOA). What you do not see is that inside it is 23x45 and has a double door in the back.

ingar.jpg

Jack, what type of lubricant would you use on a Skyliner roof mechanism? The GM cars I've owned recommended 10w oil on their lube points- granted, mostly pivots and ball joints. The all-electric scissor-top 73 Olds wanted Lubriplate on the motor drives and cables. I was always terrified that thing was going to cross up and lock up when raising it. Not a very good design IMO.

Would a synthetic grease like the SuperLube I use on old ratchets etc work on those screw jacks?

Anything that needs something thicker than ATF usually gets red axle lube.

I did use red axle lube as it was all I had handy and should last as long as what ever was there in the first place.

If it lasts 40 years or more she will have probably passed the car on to her son by then and he can go thru it again as I doubt I will be here then.

A synthetic lube may have been better I don't know.

It wasn't a difficult job, but working over those sides of the high quarters was a bitch. Not often I put fender covers on the back fenders.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
On 4/11/2021 at 12:08 PM, JACK M said:

For those interested.

The Ford Retractable is not hydraulic.

It is a series of worm drives, micro switches, solenoids, some cable drives similar to a speedometer drive but much heavier. All motor driven, (I forget how many, but several).

VLs car just needed those long acme screws and some pivot points cleaned and lubed as the 1957 grease had pretty much turned to glue.

You are correct. I think 6 motors in 57, and then up to to 7 motors in 58 and 59 if I recall. I recall the last two years had one more motor. They really are a marvel, with a few large springs replacing the needed leverage and strength of hydraulics. There is something like just over 600 feet of wiring in them to keep everything connected and talking. And limit switches... lots of those! Every time I'm around one I marvel at the amount of engineering and brainpower it must've taken to make it happen. :)     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect it would be relatively easy to describe the Ford retractable wiring using Relay Logoc (aka Ladder diagrams), has this ever been done ? Been a long time since used it (larn't  designing an engine test bed using an Eagle Signal EPTAK a few decades ago).

(funny story but not going to hijack)