Seen at a local parking lot

Dosmo

1 hour ago, CarlLaFong said:

Not a retractable. Deck is too low and no splits in the roof

Look closer to see the split in the roof about a foot back of the windshield.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, padgett said:

Wonder what's in the trunk...

Very little!  

18 hours ago, zepher said:

Great looking car.

I bet the trunk on that Fairlane is longer than the bed of that Ranger in the background.

Power of suggestion, I didnt even notice the F100 thats parked beside the car. Not until I read this and looked back to see the comparison. I guess I wouldnt make a good detective or eye witness.

2 hours ago, padgett said:

Skyliner rear end being higher than a normal 57 Ford.

I had to look hard at this one.

I think it just got the perfect camera angle to hide the long squared off look of the retractable, but it is one.

Agree on the wash tub storage, not much usable space and difficult to access.

But they drive nice and heavy.

25 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I had to look hard at this one.

I think a few of us were a little fooled at first glance. I did think "retractable" when I first saw it, but - like you - thought that the roof line was a little different for some reason. Like you said, probably camera angle. The roof seam told me my first impression was right, and I knew they didn't make any standards hardtops with that kind of rear roof pillar.

Still. I'm a little freaked out that I was not 100% sure about such a well known iconic vehicle. Here's a a different camera angle that accentuates the squarish-ness of the roof line better. (And a standard hardtop.)

1957-ford-fairlane-skyliner.jpg

405350-3.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 11:19 AM, zepher said:

Great looking car.

I bet the trunk on that Fairlane is longer than the bed of that Ranger in the background.

The washtub has the same cargo aria as my Ranger PU with a bed mounted tool box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Looks like a chrome trim along the top of the rear wheel well that breaks up the slab side. And the nose-high stance. Not really a Ford person but something just looks rong.

OP car has "Cruiser Skirts" on it.

There are also differences in the door trim lengths on the hardtop and Skyliner.  Look at where the two pieces of trim come together below the door handle, on the Skyliner the single trim is longer on the door going rearward than the hardtop by maybe 2-3".  The door key lock is incorporated in the trim on the Skyliner and separate on the hardtop. 

• Like 1

I’ll take a pic of the trunk to post the next time I get mine out. Pretty small cargo area when the roof is down which is defined by a square tub. I don’t have the original luggage that fits in the tub and they don’t make repops anymore, but they used to. I’m not too worried about the lack of trunk space. I usually put things in the back seat or back floor.

As Jack mentioned, they do have a nice ride. Great for going on a cruise. Looking forward to going on some rides next week, (with the top down), when temps will reach the 70’s here in Oregon. That is, as long as the top goes down. I hold my breath every spring. 😂

3 hours ago, padgett said:

Looks like a chrome trim along the top of the rear wheel well that breaks up the slab side. And the nose-high stance. Not really a Ford person but something just looks rong.

It may be just an illusion from the side trim as it lowers to the bottom of the V at the door handle then rises again across the quarter panel, almost looks like the car has a dip in the middle.

Personally, I think the design is one of the prettiest cars made during the 50's.

• Thanks 1

The roof is a Skyliner only for 57 & 59. The wide B pillar and small back side glass is a Skyliner signature look that was carried over to the Thunderbird for 58, then also on the 59 as a optional roof treatment. Popularly called the T Bird roof. The 59 Skyliner may also be the same roof? But I'm not sure on that one.

3 hours ago, dalef62 said:

OP car has "Cruiser Skirts" on it.

There are also differences in the door trim lengths on the hardtop and Skyliner.  Look at where the two pieces of trim come together below the door handle, on the Skyliner the single trim is longer on the door going rearward than the hardtop by maybe 2-3".  The door key lock is incorporated in the trim on the Skyliner and separate on the hardtop. 

Always been a big fan of these cars, but never noticed the key lock difference. The rear roof pillar to me is the dead giveaway. 

• Like 2

I didnt know they made luggage for that car. I know that mercedes did it with their SL's (probably a lot of others too).  As a kid we traveled to FLA a lot, the hard case luggage in that Ford looks identical to the pieces that we used. I would be willing to bet they're still in the attic at my moms house.

I read somewhere about a guy that stored all of his car care stuff, wax, rags, detailer, california duster etc. in a period correct suitcase he kept in the trunk of his car. Looked just right at shows.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I didnt know they made luggage for that car. I know that mercedes did it with their SL's (probably a lot of others too).  As a kid we traveled to FLA a lot, the hard case luggage in that Ford looks identical to the pieces that we used. I would be willing to bet they're still in the attic at my moms house.

I read somewhere about a guy that stored all of his car care stuff, wax, rags, detailer, california duster etc. in a period correct suitcase he kept in the trunk of his car. Looked just right at shows.

If I remember reading somewhere, (Motor Trend, 'In Retrospect'?), it stated factory luggage set for the Skyliner remained a prototype with only one set being made.

I wonder if someone did see the actual blueprints and had a set made for their Skyliner.

Craig

Really nice thing about a FIAT 124 Spyder - reach back, pull up, latch, and done.

Is why I stopped seeking retractables (because I had to), if the top is down, fageddabout the grocery store.

On 4/8/2021 at 1:19 PM, zepher said:

Great looking car.

Yes, but with extremely limited available storage space within a metal maybe 3x3 ft box since the folding metal top occupied most of the Ford Skyliner's trunk area

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Do they always get stuck in the same position?

f0091.JPG.ce0dce6d11585d42db83709b7ad58650.JPG

Have always wondered about "the position". I have never seen a retractable that wasn't displayed like this. Is it a "retractable thing" ???

It would certainly seem ridiculous to me to display a hydraulic or esp a GM electric scissor convertible top half up/down.

Don't get me wrong. I like the retractable's engineering and 57-59 Fords generally, but "the position" has always struck me as borderline silly.

Yup, must be a retractable thing.

• Like 1

Is hard to do in a Mercedes, it wants to continue to the end of the cycle.

Nother reason not to have an XLR, I have garage door openers and do not have seven feet of overhead space.

hqdefault.jpg