Englishtown Worthwhile?

JayG

I'm considering going to Englishtown next week.  Never been so I was wondering if it's worth the trip for anyone looking for 30's vintage stuff.  Or is it just a big Flea Market with little in the way of parts?  Thanks

The last time I went, around 2003, it was mostly tools and hot rod parts.  Like John348, I only live about 60-70 miles away and haven't gone to Englishtown since that last visit.

Believe it or not, I still do English town Spring and Fall --- and am the

ONLY real parts man there!!!!!

You will see plenty of yard equipment, golf clubs, fishing poles, ATVs, sunglasses, cheapie tools guys, and basically everything but the kitchen sink .... (But, I did see one of them 2 or 3 years ago!!!)

I do it, even though I am from Long Island, New York, it is only 53 miles from my house ($41 dollars of tolls, though!!!), And I use it as

A put things away, straighten up things, inventory some things, etc., etc. To "Prep" for Carlisle...

I do it there , rather in my driveway , I sell some items, I have two (2) orders for New Jerseyites , picking up their orders, and I frequently take orders there to bring to Carlisle the following week...

Anybody there who is Anybody --- WILL be at Carlisle the next week.  So there is probably not much reason to go there --- but, if the weather is nice, and you feel inclined to take in A SHOW (YAY --

A SHOW !!!), It won't be awful.... Just don't expect a lot ....

If you come, definitely swing by me in R I 28 --- right behind the P.C. Richard Trailer (who incidentally, have nice closeout prices on closeout items)....

Admission is $ 12, parking is FREE.... Yours, Craig....

• Thanks 1

I appreciate the feedback from everyone.  I was hoping to be able to attend a Swap Meet (going into withdrawal) but I don't need another Flea Market.  Many of the CT swaps have turned into those too.   Jay

Carlisle rooted out the sock and trinket sellers several years ago. Yes, there are still the new tool dealers- because we line up there to buy the stuff. It’s interesting to see the 70’s and 80’s stuff mixing in; but there is plenty of true antique parts to keep your interest. Last year, Fall Carlisle was a proxy for the cancelled Hershey swap meet and we all owe CE a big thanks for holding their full slate of events under difficult circumstances. By the time Spring Carlisle arrives, a large majority of those in attendance should be vaccinated. Come out and enjoy yourself. And you can enjoy yourself and stay 6 feet away from others!

Greenie -- Absolutely correct..

Jay G. --- better than a flea market, not as good as a true swap meet

(I.E. Carlisle)... Somewhere in between...

For ALL --- If the weather is nice, make a day of it... You never know what you can find, unless you are there....

If you have some things to do that are more important, than wait until Carlisle.... It's your call ......

Yours, Craig....

53 minutes ago, Harold said:

I live less than 10 miles from Englishtown and gave up on the show years ago.

I am pretty active in the hobby and do not know of anyone who attends Englishtown anymore, or has in years. They do get a lot of attendance but it is not centered around our end of the hobby. 

John 

Englishtown is basically a big flea market with a lot of car-related junk. It's fun and I go almost every year. But the emphasis is on junk and it is all very random. As mentioned above, it is no Hershey by any stretch. You will find lots of parts - but probably not what you were looking for. Also plenty of rusty modified bikes, lawnmowers, buckets full of old tools, welded "art" made from old springs and mufflers, guys selling pocket knives and old license plates and used mechanic overalls, as well as all sorts of yard sale bric-a-brac that has nothing to do with cars. As far as complete vehicles go, there are always a bunch of projects as well as a small car corral and show, mostly hot rods and muscle cars but occasionally something more interesting. Here are a few random pics I took in previous years: 

Englishtown 1.JPG

Englishtown 2.JPG

Englishtown 3.jpg

Englishtown 4.jpg

Thanks!!   What you describe is what the swaps around here have become.  I go because you may run into that random old part mixed in with the rest.    I don’t think blowing off a day of work and driving 5 hrs round trip is worth it.

• Like 1