What old or unusual things have you found after getting old car?

On 3/24/2019 at 4:41 PM, GregLaR said:

3 vials of cocaine in one of my Corvettes.

3 hand guns in a '65 Chevrolet wagon.

Many years ago, I was on a jury for a M1 case.  The perps had rented a car for their hit job, drove it several hundred miles to the scene of the crime, did the deed, drove several hundred miles back, and turned the car back in to the rental agency.  Along the way home, they were hiding the murder weapon in the trunk of the car - and it fell into a gap between the seat and the fender well.  Not being the brightest guys in the world, they actually turned the rental car in with the gun still lost in the back!  Then they spent the next few weeks trying to rent the same car again so they could fish the gun out...  They weren't successful.  When the Law eventually caught up with them, the rental car was searched and the gun was recovered for evidence.

No severed heads or cocaine, but I sell what I call glovebox goodies. They are small packets of year/era specific items you can add to your car if it didn't come with anything exciting to find when you purchased the car. Most years available, includes things such as folios, letters, coins, stamps, ads, and many other things you might find in an old car glovebox. Your year car with that year appropriate junk, Just for fun!  $10. post paid.

glovebox goodies.jpg

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

I was moving a just purchased 34 Plymouth many years ago with the help of  friend.  He was steering and I was towing.  Suddenly the door opened and he came flying out. He felt something on his knee and looked down to see a rat looking at him.  After a few minutes and after the family was evicted we continued on.

• Haha 2
On 4/8/2021 at 4:22 PM, JamesR said:

Ok, this is my old thread resurrected. Hopefully it'll attain the glory it never achieved in it's first life.

Incidentally, Jack and CHuDwah, I wonder what the legal requirements are when finding a gun in an old car. Suppose it's a function of state law...😄

Dunno.  My "38 Special" wasn't a gun, it was a cassette tape by these guys:

1689624570_38Special.png.2b8427f8c2749d9bf636c1207a658b64.png

At least it was appropriate as the car was a 1938.  😉

• Haha 1

Many years ago I bought a cheap, older-restoration 1930 Model A tudor. I decided it would be fun to drive to work every day. But the darn thing would be running down the road and suddenly stall, for lack of fuel. Pull over to side of the road, pull gas cap to check, and it would start right back up. Ah, HA! I thought it must be the legendary "gas-cap/radiator-cap been swapped" problem we've all heard about. But even with the gas cap off the entire time, it kept happening. There was some kind of blockage. So I put the carb-end of the fuel line inside a 2-liter soda pop bottle, wrapped a rag around my hand with an air chuck, and pressurized the tank. After several seconds of building pressure, BLOOEY! The "blockage" flew into the plastic bottle. 

I shut off the gas valve, congratulating myself on solving the problem. Then I looked at the "blockage" item. It was a paper match, with the end head burnt! I wondered if someone had intended to torch the car? Or maybe accidentally dropped a spent match in there? 

Anyway, I kept that old burnt match for years, and drove the Model A to work year round here in Ohio for a little over a year...🙂

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, lump said:

Many years ago I bought a cheap, older-restoration 1930 Model A tudor. I decided it would be fun to drive to work every day. But the darn thing would be running down the road and suddenly stall, for lack of fuel. Pull over to side of the road, pull gas cap to check, and it would start right back up. Ah, HA! I thought it must be the legendary gas-cap, radiator cap swap problem we've all heard about. But even with the gas cap off the entire time, it kept happening. There was some kind of blockage. So I put the carb-end of the fuel line inside a 2-liter soda pop bottle, wrapped a rag around my hand with an air chuck, and pressurized the tank. After several seconds of building pressure, BLOOEY! The "blockage" flew into the plastic bottle. 

I shut off the gas valve, congratulating myself on solving the problem. Then I looked at the "blockage" item. It was a paper match, with the end head burnt! I wondered if someone had intended to torch the car? Or maybe accidentally dropped a spent match in there? 

Anyway, I kept that old burnt match for years, and drove the Model A to work year round here in Ohio for a little over a year...🙂

Model A has a spark arrestor under the gas cap:

A_9020.jpg.c2e2a68fef866c1fb742a81241d7c530.jpg

although it may have been discarded in the last 90 years.  Dunno if it's true but supposedly salesmen would allay customers' fear by removing the cap and striking a match over the opening - the result was a blue flame but no explosion.

2 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Model A has a spark arrestor under the gas cap:

A_9020.jpg.c2e2a68fef866c1fb742a81241d7c530.jpg

although it may have been discarded in the last 90 years.  Dunno if it's true but supposedly salesmen would allay customers' fear by removing the cap and striking a match over the opening - the result was a blue flame but no explosion.

Interesting information. ChuDwah. Thanks. As far as I recall, there was no screen or spark arrestor like this. I THINK I recall just removing the cap, and staring down into the gasoline, looking for debris. But I was a young apprentice sheet metal worker at the time...so that means it was...Oh, wow...well over 40 years ago!!!!!

Found these 38's in this part of the 1937 Buick coupe.  

That area was blown out with compressed air but I guess they were too heavy to get lifted out of there.  It was on the rotisserie having the floor boards done and a guy at the shop saw them peaking out of the rust holes.   If only cars could talk....there would be lots of interesting stories told.  There were no bullet holes in the car...lol.    I tried doing some car genealogy but had no luck tracing ownership of the car further back than the guy I bought it from.  He remembers the farm was down a certain road(close to where he lived) where he towed it home from but that was probably about 50 years ago and he was young.   I cold called some of the people along that road but ownership of land changed in some cases and others with family ties couldn't recall the car.

20200119_085822.jpg

Resized_20190225_152038_6601~2.jpeg

Screenshot_20200130-233927.png

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)

We restored a 1959 Caddy Conv.  The owner was very interested in any history of the car.  We knew it came from the Southwest at some point.  When we removed the dash pad we found half a ticket from the Cactus Drive In Theatre in Arizona, the town name escapes me right now.  On a Model A we found an aluminum 1919 York, PA bicycle license holding wires for turn signals to the front bumper.  Found a live rat in a Healey 3000.  Also found a 6" chunk of treated 2x4 embedded in Bondo used to fill a large dent in the rear quarter of a '28 Cadillac Dual Cowl.  Also found a Bermuda Bell in a car we recently worked on.  My all time favorite find is the note we found inside the carb of a '21 Kissel Gold Bug.  There was no float, just a note saying "I'm sorry but I really needed that float".

• Haha 2

When I took my 1968 Dodge Dart 383 car apart to work on it, there was a bullet hole from the inside out. Looked like it was fired from the driver's seat through the passenger side kick panel. It also said, "HELP" scratched on the inner metal door panel under the upholstery.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
On 4/10/2021 at 2:16 PM, critterpainter said:

I was moving a just purchased 34 Plymouth many years ago with the help of  friend.  He was steering and I was towing.  Suddenly the door opened and he came flying out. He felt something on his knee and looked down to see a rat looking at him.  After a few minutes and after the family was evicted we continued on.

Buy a car, get a new pet for free! 😁

• Haha 1