NORS vs modern replacement parts

So I've been looking into replacement parts and browsing through the usual place I look (eBay...) I've been seeing alot of NORS ( New Old Replacement Stock) lately, mainly valves and springs. Now, I found a few supplier that have new "modern" replacement parts and was curious if there's any advantage on those than using NORS. The only thing I could think of that modern valves would have an advantage would possibly be the metallurgy? I suppose if the seats are hardened then it wouldn't matter about the valves. Thoughts? 

21 minutes ago, Seedee said:

So I've been looking into replacement parts and browsing through the usual place I look (eBay...) I've been seeing alot of NORS ( New Old Replacement Stock) lately, mainly valves and springs. Now, I found a few supplier that have new "modern" replacement parts and was curious if there's any advantage on those than using NORS. The only thing I could think of that modern valves would have an advantage would possibly be the metallurgy? I suppose if the seats are hardened then it wouldn't matter about the valves. Thoughts? 

Big question is where are the new parts made?  NORS is most likely made in the US, some new modern stuff probably is not.  Non US made stuff can work if the company marketing it specifies the raw materials to be of high quality and tests the new parts to ensure they meet their specs.  

NORS stuff like ignition condensers or rubber or fabric parts can be a crap shoot because they may have a finite shelf life.  A lot of stuff that was diecast pot metal is reproduced in bronze, aluminum or stainless making the reproduction parts a better choice, especially if they have to be plated.  Other items like NOS/NORS lock cylinders and keys may be better than the re-pops.  My 31 Buick has an Oakes steering lock and ignition switch assembly and I bought a re-pop cylinder and key set for that and it was nearly worthless, wouldn't reliably lock the column, didn't even fit the hole in the housing.  Later I bought a NOS Briggs lock and key set and it fit the housing like a glove and reliably locks the column. 

• Like 1