Specs for 1929 Overland Whippet 96 Coach

Gentlemen,

I'm not hugely active on the forum, but I've previously posted a bit under Buick when our museum recently purchased a 1908 Buick Model 10.
However, we've also had a 1929 Overland Whippet 96 Coach in our collection for quite some years.  I'm currently in the process of writing new spec. sheets and descriptions for all our cars, and I must humbly confess that the Whippet is not a model I know a whole lot about.

For starters, does anyone know the total production number of the Whippet from 1927 to 1931?
And is it true that there was a 6-cylinder Whippet as well, or were they all 4-cylinder?

THx in advance...

Hi 02Anders,

I have a 28' Whippet Cabriolet Model 96.

There was a 6 cyl. model and it would have been a Model 98.

If you can post a few photos, I can better help you with identification.  Here's a little info that could help.....

If your Whippet is a 1929, it is a Model 96A. I'm attaching a document that has the production info and where to find the serial # for your car.

The engine serial number should be on the passenger side of the engine and is located near where the head and block join. There should be a small machined area that will be stamped 96XXXXX or 96Axxxxx . The sheet below gives you many different place to look for the chassis number. I would first look for a tag under the front seat, passenger side.

Depending on what info you want, you may ask me or you can log into the WOKR website to look through our library. You would just need to register as a non-member and you could have full access to the public forum and the library.

We have a Photo Gallery that I'm sure you would enjoy. My Cabriolet is actually in the Photo Gallery.

I am active in the Willys-Overland-Knight-Registry club and I am the WOKR Forum Adm. Moderator and would be happy to assist you in any way.

On a side note, where is your museum in Copenhagen? I've been to Copenhagen a few times but have never been to your museum.

My wife and I have been to most of the tourist spots (of course) and driven to Malmo and to Kalmar, Sweden (from Copenhagen) to see the Kingdom of Crystal.

When it is safe to travel again, we'll be back.

Stay safe

Bill

SCAN0309.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for your reply and your willingness to help me.  Much appreciated...

Our Whippet is indeed a 96A from 1929.
In the meantime, I've managed to write the new spec. & description sheet for our Overland.  However, I still haven't been able to find any production numbers.
Do you know how many Whippets (93 and 96 and 98 combined) were produced between 1927 and 1931?  This information wouldbe very helpful to me.

As for our museum; we are currently in the process of opening up a brand new one.  We are in Bagsvaerd in the north of Copenhagen and plan on opening (Covid allowing of course) in late June or early July.  If you get to Copenhagen again, please do drop by.  It would be a pleasure to have visitors from as far away as the US.  🙂

Use the numbers on the chart I posted earlier to find the number for each model per year.

example  :     1927 Model 93A  started with # 89021 and ended with 116213.   That means that there were 27,192 vehicles manufactured.

Do the same for each model / year and you should have your info.

Bill

@wmsue I did think about doing that, but it doesn't quite make sense as several of those numbering sequences overlap.

Looking at 1927 as an example:
93A  :  89021 - 116213
96   :  1 - 110344

Using your method, I would endn up counting all the chassis numbers from 89021 to 110344 twice.  Surely that can't be right??

The actual Model # would have read 96-123456    or 96A-123456, so the numbers could overlap but the not within the specific model series. It does get confusing by not having an actual Model tag in front of you to compare it to.  I don't remember what year it was, but Overland was # two producing manufacturer of cars for a VERY short time. If I run across more info, I'll send it your way.

Here's what it would look like:

Model Start # End # Difference
93A 89001 116700 27700
96 1 316405 316405
96A 321001 470247 149247
98 10001 51250 41250
98A 52001 129783 77783

Bill

Total

Thx Bill,

Makes much more sense when you explain that the VIN was preceeded by the model code.
Appreciate your help!

Here’s a serial tag from a Whippet for sale through Hemmings.

Glad it helped you get the info.

Bill

2C835847-6859-4AAE-B340-FAED68295A32.png