Sugar in the gas tank.

Dandy Dave

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Vegas were originally designed cheap and may find that most still remaining either have been sleeved or have AC.

Problem was the high silicon aluminum block did not respond well to overheating and whether silicon particles were dislodged (think sand in the carb) or the aluminum distorted I am no longer certain. Just to overheat was bad and mostly cured with a 160F thermostat (no computer) and an AC radiator (bigger).

I will bet they got sugared instead of overheated.  (That keeps your response relevant)

3 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

I thought this would be a good disscusion.

It was.

• Thanks 1

My father in-law told me a story of when he was a kid in the 1920s and there was a mean old man in town.

He and a buddy on several winter nights would go up to this guy's car and pee in the gas tank.

The car would stop running and would be towed to were his father worked to drain the water out of the fuel system.

He he is with his dad.

Wheaton, MN Auto Klub, circa 1926.jpg

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Diesel trucks now use a urea derivative to somehow reduce emissions.  The kid was before his time!

Yup. And the DOT will give you a ticket if the tank is empty at a road check stop. Also, the computers will shut the truck down to 30MPH or less. Ain't modern tech great? Dandy Dave!

4 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Ain't modern tech great? 

A buddy has a Chevrolet with the Duromax, his business is seasonal and it may get parked for months at a time.

Turns out that the DEF will go bad if parked to long,

He has had to limp to the dealership twice since he has owned it.

Kinda rules out that "ready to travel" thing not knowing if your urea has expired.

Found the best way to ruin an engine for good is to put about a half cup of Barrs Leak radiator sealant in the crank case. Run the engine for a while to get it to running temp and shut it down . Last time you will do that. Don't think it will work ? Try it on your lawn mower. Them motors are cheap.

On 4/10/2021 at 12:35 PM, JACK M said:

A buddy has a Chevrolet with the Duromax, his business is seasonal and it may get parked for months at a time.

Turns out that the DEF will go bad if parked to long,

He has had to limp to the dealership twice since he has owned it.

Kinda rules out that "ready to travel" thing not knowing if your urea has expired.

Been there done that!

Also there is an expiration date on bottle, darned if I can find it, so if it is on sale real cheap think twice. Also the box it comes in the printed instructions state store under 90 digress and keep from freezing. once it is in the DEF tank you know control over the temp

I think sugar in the DEF would be a problem

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1