Jump to content

What’s this in my trunk ?.:


moran75
 Share

Recommended Posts

I had suspected they were body alignment post, from when the body was put together at the factory. Or possibly for hanging the body to drop on the frame. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe that is the deck alignment tang that contacts the rubber bumper, as stated above.  It is used to help with alignment of the deck in the decklid opening, along with the striker in the latch.  You can move the bumper in and out of the hole, as well as the tang can be adjusted up and down to properly fit the deck.

 

When these cars were built there was a body drop hoist used to put the car onto the frame at the beginning of the final line.  Below are a couple pictures that I found that show what I mean.  The body was held in the hoist by the rockers.  When it was placed and aligned on the frame, by the assembly operators in the pit on the body mounts/cushions, the frame is like a scissor and opens up and returns to get the next body.  Right after the drop the body bolts are put in by assembly operators.

 

Rock On

 

gord

GM Chassis Body Drop Marriage 2.jpg

GM Chassis Body Drop Marriage 3.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, msdminc said:

I believe that is the deck alignment tang that contacts the rubber bumper, as stated above.  It is used to help with alignment of the deck in the decklid opening, along with the striker in the latch.  You can move the bumper in and out of the hole, as well as the tang can be adjusted up and down to properly fit the deck.

 

When these cars were built there was a body drop hoist used to put the car onto the frame at the beginning of the final line.  Below are a couple pictures that I found that show what I mean.  The body was held in the hoist by the rockers.  When it was placed and aligned on the frame, by the assembly operators in the pit on the body mounts/cushions, the frame is like a scissor and opens up and returns to get the next body.  Right after the drop the body bolts are put in by assembly operators.

 

Rock On

 

gord

GM Chassis Body Drop Marriage 2.jpg

GM Chassis Body Drop Marriage 3.jpg

  Something that has intrigued me for a long time about the top picture is the absence of the fuel tank under the trunk floor?? The color original has "mood lighting" going on which leads me to believe the photo may have been staged. ?

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tom in some plants the fuel tank was put on a little ways up the final line after body drop, from assembly operators in the pit.  It had to be attached to the fuel lines that were pre-attached to the frame, also done in the pit.  The two tank straps would be hanging down, the tank would be positioned from the rear and then the fuel lines going to the fuel pump would be attached to hoses coming from the fuel tank sending unit.  In other plants it was be put on in the Trim shop, and the cradle/engine/trans and rear end would be lifted up from towveyors and attached to the body as it hovered over the towveyor line.  If I recall correctly, generally the unibody tanks were put on in Trim and the frame cars were done in Chassis on the final line.

 

Rock On

 

gord

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, msdminc said:

Tom in some plants the fuel tank was put on a little ways up the final line after body drop, from assembly operators in the pit.  It had to be attached to the fuel lines that were pre-attached to the frame, also done in the pit.  The two tank straps would be hanging down, the tank would be positioned from the rear and then the fuel lines going to the fuel pump would be attached to hoses coming from the fuel tank sending unit.  In other plants it was be put on in the Trim shop, and the cradle/engine/trans and rear end would be lifted up from towveyors and attached to the body as it hovered over the towveyor line.  If I recall correctly, generally the unibody tanks were put on in Trim and the frame cars were done in Chassis on the final line.

 

Rock On

 

gord

Hi Gordon,

  That makes perfect sense. I didnt consider the location of fuel line attachment, frame versus body, would determine when in the assembly process the tank was mounted. So, fuel lines mounted to the frame would dictate fuel tank install after body drop; and fuel lines attached to the body (as is the case with our Rivs) would dictate fuel tank attachment before body drop?

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2021 at 10:26 PM, msdminc said:

I believe that is the deck alignment tang that contacts the rubber bumper, as stated above.  It is used to help with alignment of the deck in the decklid opening, along with the striker in the latch.  You can move the bumper in and out of the hole, as well as the tang can be adjusted up and down to properly fit the deck.

 

When these cars were built there was a body drop hoist used to put the car onto the frame at the beginning of the final line.  Below are a couple pictures that I found that show what I mean.  The body was held in the hoist by the rockers.  When it was placed and aligned on the frame, by the assembly operators in the pit on the body mounts/cushions, the frame is like a scissor and opens up and returns to get the next body.  Right after the drop the body bolts are put in by assembly operators.

 

Rock On

 

gord

GM Chassis Body Drop Marriage 2.jpg

GM Chassis Body Drop Marriage 3.jpg

aha...makes sense..moral is to always look up as well as down

 

just thinking out loud - is it just me or is the trunk a little bit spartan on a 65? Trunk light for example just a bit cheap looking? Just as well the outside looks so good !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2021 at 8:34 PM, 1965rivgs said:

  Something that has intrigued me for a long time about the top picture is the absence of the fuel tank under the trunk floor?? The color original has "mood lighting" going on which leads me to believe the photo may have been staged. ?

Tom

I wonder if it's a test line? Why is a pontiac behind a buick? I can't identify the white car in front of the buick, but I wonder if it's a mid size olds. The techs are wearing white aprons too, which is odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...