'64 rocker shaft bolts

rivolution

Hi Friends,

recently I put some rebuilt heads on my 425, and during the first drive heard a pronounced ticking from the right (passenger) side of the engine.  It's there whether running cold or hot, and seems to be coming from under the valve cover.  I installed adjustable pushrods to get proper lifter preload, but that side still seems noisier.

In trying to troubleshoot it, I realized my rocker shaft bolts may not be correct.  One side (the Right/noisy side) has four identical bolts that seem stock-ish, with a long threadless portion of the shaft.  The other side has standard grade 8 bolts like you'd get at a hardware store.  I thought I read somewhere that the front-most bolts for the rockers are special to allow oil to flow up easily around them, but my shop manual doesn't say anything about this.

In the attached photos you can see one of the left/driver side grade 8 bolts, and then a few photos of the right/passenger front bolt removed and seated fully in the hole.  Are these the correct bolts?

I was hoping that the noise could be explained by an improper bolt that's not allowing enough oil to the rockers.  But strangely, the hardware-store-looking bolt is on the quiet side, not the noisy one.

Anyway, I welcome any thoughts and advice.  Thanks

-Jeff

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Jeff,

I see you installed the push rods like I mentioned.

ALL the bolts should look like the one in the second & third pics.    As long as the second bolt is in the front location it will allow oil to lube the rockers. It's known as a shoulder bolt.

You could try & take the lifters apar & clean them. ONLY do one at a time & return it to the same lobe it came from.

Tom T.