Installing water pump and thermostat housing soon. The bypass hose fits snug on the water pump but not snug on the thermostat housing. The connections are not badly pitted or anything like that, but I think I would like to put a sealer on them. Permatex aviation gasket maker, indianhead, or permatex RTV?  I’m probably not going to use anything on the radiator connections. What is the best sealer to use and which one allows the best ease of removal when you want to take a hose off?  Thanks for any input,  Tom

Attached is a link to Gates hoses.  They are listed by ID, length, and other end ID if this changes.  You may be able to find a hose with 2 different ID sizes that fits your application.  That would work better than what you are planning to do with sealant.  

https://assets.gates.com/content/dam/gates/home/resources/resource-library/catalogs/gates-molded-coolant-hose-id-guide_web.pdf

• Like 1

I agree that it would be a bad idea for a sealant to be used. I have had to cut off hoses because of this.  A solution may to be able to use a high temp sealing tape to take up the space. I believe I bought some at a local chain auto parts store to wrap my leaking water tube for my 1925 Master It held up well in that application.

Thanks for the quick responses. The hose is a 1 7/8” bypass hose and it fits snugger on the pump than on the thermostat housing. I like the tape idea, I will look around for some. I know most say put the hoses on dry, but I cringe to think I would have to pull the thermostat housing to remove the bypass hose to seal up a leak later. I was planning to use permatex gasket sealer on the gaskets attaching both to the block. 

I generally use Permatex non hardening No 2 Form a Gasket. It might be harder to take the hose back off but the hose will come off with a little prying. I'd rather deal with a little effort to remove a hose then have to do the job a second time.