1931 Buick series 8-64 timing

Jniekamp

Hi, this is my first post to the forum, thanks for adding me.

I have a 1931 series 8-64 Buick roadster that I need help on installing and adjusting the distributor. 20 plus years ago I removed the generator to have the armature rewound and rebuilt and now I'm wanting to get the car up running again. I have no memory as how to time it. (I was lucky enough to have the memory to locate all the parts)

Is there a timing mark on the front pulley or flywheel to time the engine? I see there is a cover plate back by the starter do see the flywheel.

Any help or source is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

Edited by Jniekamp
Misspelled (see edit history)

On 4/5/2021 at 10:26 AM, Jniekamp said:

Oh yes, I can make it out, I truly thank you for your help and kind offer. After hearing so much positive talk about the 1931 Buick book on specifications and adjustments, I went ahead and order my own this morning. I think until it comes, I'll be able to use your scan here and start that process.

Many many thanks! 

John

• Like 1

Getting the distributor set up on a machine is best as it will also make sure that the mechanical advance is working properly, but it sounds like you have a distributor to begin with. This is the tool I use to set my points to fire on the 45 degrees increments. It was a factory suggested shop tool for my Pierce and you can see the exact break in continuity with each light bulb going off. I found this one on eBay for just about $100 and have seen several others since.

The manual page above gives you how to time the distributor to the engine as well as anything I can find, but this is for timing of the two sets of points to each other...

23545C2F-9A8E-40D6-A93E-55DB74628734.jpeg

• Like 2

Keep your eye on eBay, I’ve seen several complete ones going for $150 or less and others asking twice that but not selling. Mine came without the instructions but another person was kind enough to get me a picture of the section I needed... although if you’re mechanically inclined those instructions are not really needed to figure it out.

• Like 1

Unfortunately ,Winn brand and other period auto ingnition synchrometers,like radiator mascot caps, are  collected, by tool collectors , who buy and hoard these things(often in multiples) who are not into actual cars and the stuff gets to help no one.

But thats life!.

• Thanks 1