Shock therapy

NC-car-guy

7 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Here's a riddle... If I honk the horn in my 57 while touching anything else metal, I get a shock from the horn ring. Horn works but gives me a zap. Anyone experienced this?

I have not by it appears you maybe the ground wire!  

• Haha 2

My '58 Buick had that exact issue.

Turned out to be the isolating gasket on the horn wire in the column. 

Years ago I had wiring short under the hood and it melted that rubber/plastic insulator some and once in awhile got a shock while hitting it with my arm on the metal window frame.

Take the horn ring off and remove the horn bracket to see if that is your issue.

Doug

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JohnD1956 said:

May I ask, 

Is this a shock that occurs all the time?  

And does the horn blow if you are not touching any metal? 

Only shocks when the horn blows.  And yes the horn will blow without me touching anything else.

15 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Only shocks when the horn blows.  And yes the horn will blow without me touching anything else.

Not to belabor the point but describes exactly what mine did and only when resting my arm on the door frame and pressing the horn ring otherwise touching the ring gave no shock with just touching the ring.

Once I put a rubber piece around the wire at the contact area in the column the shock disappeared.

I never looked further down the column to see where it came through but yours might have worn the wire covering off there?

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The horn internals consist of an electromagnet near  a thin steel diaphragm.  The horn blows when the electromagnet goes on and off rapidly that flexes the diaphragm to create the sound waves.  To cause the electromagnet to go on and off rapidly (basically vibrate) there is a set of points that make and break and the armature of one point is pulled off when the electromagnet is on creating a strong magnetic field.   When the points open the magnetic field collapses and the points then close again repeating this cycle many times a second.  

Now the electromagnet is basically an iron core surrounded by many turns of copper wire.  The coils of copper wire are an inductance and when the current is suddenly cut off the there is an inductive kick, or high voltage created as the magnetic field suddenly collapses.  This voltage can be much higher than the 12 volts supplied to the horn and this is high enough to be felt as a shock.  You can put fingers from each hand across the battery terminals and not feel a shock because your skin resistance is too high to cause an appreciable current flow.

An ignition coil is similar except there is a second coil of wire with many more turns of copper wire surrounding the inner coil of fewer turns.  The second outer coil of wire provides the high voltage to fire the spark plugs.

Joe, BCA 33493

Edited by Joseph P. Indusi
spelling (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Still haven't fixed this.  Been driving too much. Now when I turn a lot at slow speed (parking) the horn beeps sporadically.  Im sure the people today where thrilled when I was parallel parking...  Beep.....beep. Beep beep

20210719_181813_HDR.jpg

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3