1932 Plymouth Convertible - Tune-up parts source?

Weaklink

Inherited car from mom.  Car sat all winter.  Ran OK when it was parked, now will not start.  Was not getting any spark at first.  I have cleaned-up all the electrical connections and now have some spark at plug, but still won't start, even with starting fluid.  Never fires.  So I am going to give it a tune-up.  Wires/cap/points/condenser/plugs etc.  Everything is pretty old/crusty/dirty.  I hate to go down to Auto-Zone and ask the kid for cap/rotor/points for my car, because you never know what you'll get.  Anyone have a better place to source parts?  I don't want to go to the store 12 times trying parts that might fit....  

Auto zone will not have parts for a 32 Plymouth.  Where are you located?  Maybe there is an AACA member close to you that can help.  Could be many  reasons why it won't start. Do you have any pictures of the engine?

I have the Points, Condenser, Rotor, and Cap in all Quality U.S.A. made parts.... There were no Wire Sets made for them -- I have the wire, boots, and terminals to custom cut you a fresh set...

Always best to simply call me --- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935.... New York ......

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's weak/no spark.  My father was a diesel mechanic and I've rebuilt a few engines, so I'm not 100% illiterate.   It was running last year, although getting harder to start after sitting for a while.  I hit it with the starting fluid, but it has not fired one time.  Coil has 6V in.  Getting some spark at plug after cleaning everything.  Spark plugs were pretty grimy, so sand-blasted.  The plug wires are pretty loosey-goosey, as with most other connections, so even if that is not 100% my current issue, I want to replace all and start fresh.  The point actually look pretty good and the gap was correct, but I hit with file just to be sure.  Not sure how to test a condenser.  Anyways, I'm not poor, and don't mind the parts swap, so I think that's where I want to start.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Weaklink said:

I'm pretty sure it's weak/no spark.  My father was a diesel mechanic and I've rebuilt a few engines, so I'm not 100% illiterate.   It was running last year, although getting harder to start after sitting for a while.  I hit it with the starting fluid, but it has not fired one time.  Coil has 6V in.  Getting some spark at plug after cleaning everything.  Spark plugs were pretty grimy, so sand-blasted.  The plug wires are pretty loosey-goosey, as with most other connections, so even if that is not 100% my current issue, I want to replace all and start fresh.  The point actually look pretty good and the gap was correct, but I hit with file just to be sure.  Not sure how to test a condenser.  Anyways, I'm not poor, and don't mind the parts swap, so I think that's where I want to start.

Posts some picture love to see it, 

6 hours ago, Weaklink said:

Maybe just a cap

The fact that you've got spark at at the plugs would suggest a fuel problem, start spray or not I would be looking down the fuel path; assuming timing hasn't been messed with ?

Is it possible to take off the air cleaner and tip a bit (I'm talking a couple of spoonfuls) of fresh fuel down the  carb throat and see if it kicks  ?

is your car a PB ? I have a 32 PA      simular motor to yours        I get a kick from those car owners that hunt for a problem by just replacing EVERY THING !!!!!     if no spark could be points or the sensitive way the screw goes through the side of distributor could short ,,,easy to just replace condenser they do have a shelf life----or check spark at coil  I also clean plugs with a low pressure sand blaster and blow with air gun   make sure the manifold is tight against the block        -----vacuum leak----do a compression test of the cylinders    what carb do you have ?   was a BB1 from factory   easy to take apart and clean   make sure your fuel pump bowl and filter is clean   I took my tank down, cleaned and coated  starting fluid is not the best thing to use removes oil from cylinders    if you must,, get the one with lub in the formula ----  it is a lot harder to do it right      you can contact me   bobnroman@yahoo.com

PLYMOUTH pa.JPG

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

Craig at Mobile Parts is a great guy, have bought from his family business when they had a store 15 minutes south of me as far back as the early 1960s! That was when I owned a 1931 Plymouth Pa sedan ( which I absolutely loved but got to tall to drive comfortably) .

If any of you want to read more about Plymouths how about any of you who have been in this a long time commenting on the early days of the Plymouth Club when it was called the Plymouth 4 Cylinder Owners Club - but also included the 6 cylinder cars up through 1948? It was a vital single make club then, heck Jay Fisher drove ( read that again - drove) his 1929 Plymouth roadster to Detroit from NJ and had photos taken on the assembly line there when they were making Plymouths!  Earl Buton, Ed Hegaman, Don and Mona Behnke, Stan Marcum , Gail Keith, Roy Jordan, Tony Cavanna, anyone remember those people? All part of the heritage of the Plymouth Club - the annual banquet dinner at Hershey at a place east of downtown Hershey ? I was named Publicity Manager of the Club when I was 16 years old!

Walt

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

Earl Buton, Ed Hegaman, Don and Mona Behnke, Stan Marcum , Gail Keith, Roy Jordan, Tony Cavanna, anyone remember those people?

Just finished writing an article for Plymouth Owners Club about my 50 years with my PA sedan and my 50 years with the Plymouth owners Club.

Bob Mcmulkin   on Long Island was a great source for technical info. when he was Tech advisor for the Club.  Bought a fuel pump from Stan in 1972.

Stan Marcum bill.jpeg

• Like 1

That's for the replies.  I just left a message for Craig Mobile Parts.  I already made a new set of wires; the existing ones were terrible, not sure how it ever ran.....  Installed new plugs.  There appears to be some sort of ground wire attached to the side of the distributor to the engine block that is half-fried/chewed-up, so going to clean that up.  Making progress....

IMG_0677.JPG

Yes, '32 PA.  I got it running tonight.  New plugs & wires.  New distributor ground wire.  Strong spark now.  Plugged vacuum leak at intake manifold tee for windshield wiper vacuum.   One shot of starting fluid and off to the races.  Craig is going to hook me up with some spares.  Hope to get another 89 years out of her....

Weaklink---------------since the distributor is not bolted down buy is free to turn with the vacuum unit it is a good idea to use a auxiliary ground from it to the block-- must make sure the distributor has a good ground----not sure if the factory put on when car was new

UPDATE:  Drove the car around the neighborhood yesterday for about 20 minutes.  Started great, ran like a champ, idled like a sewing machine.  Wife went to go take for a spin today; would not start.  She told me, I went to go start it.  Turns over fine, not firing at all.  I pull a spark plug and tell her to turn it over.  NO SPARK.  WTF!?!.   Did a quick inventory of wire connections, dist cap, point gap, etc.  Was running like a top when I pulled it into garage yesterday.  Today, nothing...  Condenser?  Coil?  I'm beyond pissed to even look further today....  If it were my decision, I would sell and buy wife a new Mazda Miata or Mercedes Convertible....