I can die happy now............😀

One of the interesting parts of my job, that I actually get paid to perform, is preparing cars for touring. This morning, I took a Pebble Beach best of show winning Duesenberg out to breakfast. I go to a nice small place where I can park out front and keep an eye on the car. Just as I was pulling into my parking spot and shutting the car down, a customer was walking out of the restaurant. He paid me the best compliment of my life............. he said sir you have a beautiful Pierce Arrow! I complimented him on his fantastic taste in fine automobiles, and his understanding of history. I’ve then informed him that unfortunately it was just a Duesenberg. If you handed me $1000 I wouldn’t have enjoyed it as much. I explained to the gentleman, that a Duesenberg is a wonderful car, but the man who owns a Pierce Arrow envies no one.

This is a true story, that happened this morning.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 13
  • Haha 5

Naturally, not everyone has the same automotive

knowledge.  Be glad that he even knew what a

Pierce-Arrow was!

And Ed, we're glad that you're happy and well, 

but don't plan to "die...now" since you've a lot to

contribute.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes Ed, plan on staying around a while , my buddy Austin Clark used to tell me 40+ years ago  that "only the good die young , and you and I are going to be around a long long time". That was usually before we had lunch and an adult beverage to start the lunch off with , and we usually stayed out of trouble too. Maybe, sort of .................

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Ed. so this was a true story.  Hmmm, does it mean the others you have told may not be! :)  You should have little time for driving around in that fine automobile as you have three magazines to finish reading.  Actually, I do envy you as there is not a single car in the collection I would not kill to drive to breakfast.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, edinmass said:

" he said sir you have a beautiful Pierce Arrow!"

"That's a lovely dress you're wearing today Mrs Cleaver"

-E. Haskell

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
58 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Ed. so this was a true story.  Hmmm, does it mean the others you have told may not be! :)  You should have little time for driving around in that fine automobile as you have three magazines to finish reading.  Actually, I do envy you as there is not a single car in the collection I would not kill to drive to breakfast.  

Come on down, and we can go to our regular spot in Delray. Every Sunday morning at the museum, 630 am sharp! Sam always buys!

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

What is weird is that  I pulled in to a gas station last week in a Model A Ford and got the same Pierce Arrow line.

One flaw in you lie...........you don’t even know how to start a Ford Model A, do you? 😏

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

PA is a wonderful car.  Almost as nice as a Packard. 😁

A Packard is just a common mans car that has a few extra dollars so he upgrades from a Ford. Don’t believe me? Just ask he man who owns one. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Just now, just me said:

Ed

April fool's day was yesterday.

Charley

Day before yesterday......and I never joke about Pierce Arrow Motor Cars!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, edinmass said:

One flaw in you lie...........you don’t even know how to start a Ford Model A, do you? 😏

Actually, no.  Is there a secret?  Ignition key and floor button?   Don't even have to retard it I would guess.

16 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Actually, no.  Is there a secret?  Ignition key and floor button?   Don't even have to retard it I would guess.

If your driving, it will already be severely retarded as soon as you sit in it.

• Haha 8
1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Unless you like changing the starter Bendix? You better retard it!

As a long-time best  friend of mine has said many times (especially after sorting out a messed up Stutz Bearcat!), "It is a terrible job, but SOME-body has to do it!" (After he had put about 500 miles on said Stutz!) Most of his adult life, he did the same type of work that you do.

• Like 1

YUP

(and that’s 99.9% of the population - and they will argue about it too.)

If it has open fenders it’s a Model T end of story.

• Like 1