Need a new right-front cv axle

The only thing is if your cars a 16v with a Getrag 284 those axles are specific to the rare 501 produced. Like Hemi said most part stores carry them. Just make sure you get a replacement axle with the ABS toner ring. Save your old axles for parts. Your better off keeping them then getting the $10 core charge back. 

Edited by Turbo Kane
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, johngoodman said:

I just got the ABS fixed and the mechanic told me that it needed a new right-front cv axle. I'm too old to be doing this myself anymore. Can he change it or repair it?

It ALWAYS helps to tell us what engine your TC has 2.2  8 valve, 2.2  16 valve or 3.0 V6.

• 2 weeks later...

If you get rebuilt axles from a parts store, check the ABS ring. Most likely it will be incorrect for a TC. Even though it will probably bolt right in, the wrong ABS ring WILL destroy the sensor as the TC ABS rings are slightly smaller in diameter than the regular Chrysler parts. They can be swapped, however. 

On 4/13/2021 at 11:58 PM, Reaper1 said:

If you get rebuilt axles from a parts store, check the ABS ring. Most likely it will be incorrect for a TC. Even though it will probably bolt right in, the wrong ABS ring WILL destroy the sensor as the TC ABS rings are slightly smaller in diameter than the regular Chrysler parts. They can be swapped, however. 

Thanks for the tip....

In actuality, the tone ring is just a little larger in diameter, therefore circumference, so all that is needed is to adjust the sensor out a little. The thickness of an old-fashioned paper matchbook cover is all you need to set the clearance though the correct measurement is .028" (28 thousands)

• Like 1

Reaper, that is a very good question and just 'off the cuff' I would think the answer would be NO. The aftermarket tone wheel would logically have more since it is larger in circumference, but I guess we will have to count them to be sure.

• Like 1