Who's car has one of these? Parking Aid

Locomobile

I've seen that clip with the Caddy before. Really kind of a neat idea, but it didn't catch on for some reason, so maybe there were some drawbacks? Possibly drive train and rear axle issues. I wonder if it was also useful for pulling into tight parking spaces?

a) yes

b) probably cost and loss of trunk space

c) can do the same thing with a bit of skill and judicious use of the parking brake.

d) remember a set of such to allow changing a tire while moving.

16 hours ago, nickelroadster said:

Supposedly Harry Stutz was able to powerslide a car into a parking place and didn't need a fith wheel to do it .  That would save a lot of expense and just needs a little practice.

LOL! It sounds like that kind of "practice" could get pretty expensive.😄 It'd still be fun to see someone doing it, though.

1 minute ago, auburnseeker said:

You just have to start em early.

She's good! Love it! 😁

18 hours ago, padgett said:

d) remember a set of such to allow changing a tire while moving.

Now THAT'S what I'd really like to see! 😄

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Who's car has one of these? Parking Aid

I remember seeing films of a 1950s Cadillac convertible that was loaded with as many accessories as the owner could dream up to put on it. It had a 'drop down' jack wheel on each corner that could lift the tire off the ground. It also had a walk/ramp around the outside of the car, and could have a tire changed while being driven! I think they said any one of the four, but don't count on that. I don't know what he may have done about the driven axle to make a rear wheel work. I remember seeing film of his passengers/crew changing a front tire while driving down the road. It was really crazy! The walk/ramp  was narrow, awkward to work from, but they did it.

I saw it on a couple different tv shows, probably "You Asked For It" among them. How many people remember that show? It was also done on tv again in the 1970s, might have been "Real People"?

I don't recall it having a sideways parking wheel however.

Small as curbside parking spots have gotten that kids' bicycle is about all that could pull off a powerslide park now. 

County seat had all their curbside parking redone. I think they used a Hyundai to measure them off 'cause my F150 sure won't fit in them, even if it had a drop-down parking aid. I remember when that little burg had on-street angle parking.