Hand Crank?

Rod L

Want to ck/set the point gap, but don't have a hand crank (1928 Buick sport roadster). Any suggestions on what might work as a hand crank or where to get one?

Rod

Rod, 

This will get you started.  Can anyone provide the dimensions from a Buick Master Hand crank so that they are available as this question comes up frequently and I will add those dimensions to my drawing.  

Hugh

567890718_HandCrankSocket.thumb.JPG.672eadf1623539a6e79e445ff8e24be2.JPG1532894602_HandCrank.thumb.JPG.3643765598c004c5b091b4bc6bd553bf.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

HUGH IS DA MAN!!  This is exactly what I did when I primed the oil pump on my rebuilt engine (milling the slots in a socket) with that big old drill motor.  This could be done and use a long-handled ratchet wrench to move the crank ever so slightly and slowly.  The crank stub on my engine took a 13/16" deep well socket to do what I needed to do.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 2

I did the same but I used a Farmall Tractor hand crank and bored it out to 13/16. 

But if all you want to do is set the point gap, why not just loosen the distributor and rotate it until the points are on the cam? Then set the points and turn the distributor back to time it.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)
  • Like 3